Those with gas boilers

Missy86

Family complete
Reaction score
Do they need to be serviced every year

Yes gas boilers need servicing once a year by a Gas Safe engineer only!! (corgi registered) :thumbup:

Most boilers come with a manufacturers guarantee but it's only valid if you service your boiler once a year. Boilers need cleaning out which enables it to run more efficiently or else it could cost you more to run if clogged up etc

You don't need it every year, if you rent a house though your landlord has to have it done every year, if it is your own boiler, then it is recommended to have it checked often so yeah once a year, unless you have some kind of warranty that states over wise or house insurance clause perhaps ? ... I didn't do mine last year, i might do it this winter though.

Here's some advice from a boiler guide, it is also worth getting a carbon monoxide detector too:flower:

It is a common attitude that it seems pointless to service anything in our throw-away culture, as some things appear cheaper to replace than repair. Unfortunately, this rule does not apply to our gas boilers.

This is due to a number of reasons; a gas boiler is often run every day in the home, and depending on the workload can wear faster than other appliances, simple faults in a gas boiler are easy and inexpensive to fix.

With these faults increasing if ignored and resulting in the need to replace the whole gas boiler at a large expense, most importantly, an under-maintained gas boiler could prove dangerous to you and your family.

When Should I Service My Gas Boiler?
The peak times for people to develop an issue with their heating and boiler is at the end of the summer months, when people turn on their gas boilers after months of inactivity. In these months, it is not uncommon for a gas boiler to develop issues with clogged or seized parts due to lack of use.

Because of this, it is recommended that you schedule a gas boiler service before the end of summer – through the months of February and October are the most quiet for boiler engineers. Not only are you more likely to get a better service and from an engineer at a time that suits you more this way, it is possible that you may also receive a discounted rate out of the peak months.

How Much Will It Cost?
A full service of your boiler will cost from £50 to £80 for a standard efficiency boiler and from £80 to £160 for a high-efficiency condensing boiler, prices will also vary depending on your location. London boiler engineers often charge more than in rural areas. Be sure to ring around as many local Gas Safe Registered engineers for a quote, with the make and model of your boiler – as well as its age and location, to ensure you get the best deal possible.

Anything Else?
In addition to the important boiler service, it is strongly advised that you install a carbon monoxide detector in your home in close proximity to the boiler itself. Carbon monoxide kills around 30 people a year in the UK, and is completely taste and smell free, A carbon monoxide detector will provide you with firm peace of mind concerning your safety, and may save your life.

In Conclusion
Not only is a regular, annual gas boiler service essential to ensure that any issues developing are discovered and dealt with quickly and efficiently at less inconvenience to yourself, it is also essential for safety, energy efficiency, and ensuring you get the most out of the life of your boiler.

Yes every year. Same for gas fires and stoves etc. Obviously you dont have to (unless the property is rented) but advisable.

If you rent you HAVE to have a gas safety check done every year. If you own the property you don't - but I'm always of the opinion that you seriously do not fuck around with gas... I almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning while in a rented house at uni, it was only the fact that the gas safety check rolled around when it did and the massive problems with the boiler were uncovered that saved us - we had poisoning symptoms - we'd just assumed we all had fresher's flu - you really don't notice it creeping up on you.

I wouldn't even consider NOT having my boiler serviced every year. We had a new boiler fitted last year so we have to have it serviced to keep the guarantee valid but even when that runs out we will continue to do so every year. We paid £60 for our service this year - a small price to pay to ensure my family's safety x

You can look around for different prices too. The man who does mine (he does all of my landlords properties) charges £35 for one appliance or £50 for two. The one my mum uses charges about £80.

My husband is a gas engineer, If it's a combi boiler I don't think they do much, but they do check for immsisions, leaks etc, which is obviously very important, if it's a back boliler is requires a more complete service.

He doenst service our boiler or anything though, we have a carbon monoxide detector and I guess he knows what to check for.

The short answer is yes, especially for back boilers and older boilers, although any boiler can be potentially dangerous, you would be surprised how many leaks he has found, which besides the obvious health and safety issues increases your gas consumption.

I would if i owned my house.
As i rent, its done anyway.

xx

I have British gas home are cover and they service once a year as part of the agreeement

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->