Those with scan/early scan knowledge...

Fiora

Reaction score
So yesterday I started experiencing some strong cramping and backache so went to the hospital EPU and had an emergency scan.

As you can see from my signature I should be 7+4 today, but yesterday my midwife estimated I was around 5 1/2 weeks from my scan. I had a transvaginal ultrasound, but it's my first pregnancy and first scan so had no idea what we were looking at. We saw a sac, and what she called a "yolk", which basically looked like a little line from the edge of the sac attached to a long wibbly jellybean (adult explanation there lol). No heartbeat, at least from what she told us. Midwife was super upbeat and positive about things, said everything was measuring as it should and booked me in for another scan in 2 weeks. Could anyone shed some light on some of the stats on my scan printout? I was so emotional and distracted at the time I had so many questions I didn't ask :dohh:

My period was so long ago as we conceived whilst I was on the mini pill. Sorry if this isn't allowed, I can provide the top part with my name on to an admin if they need it, but it has my address and NHS number on it so thought it was better to obscure. Thanks for any help :flower:

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 91
If you are 5 1/2 weeks then that all sounds normal. Are you calculating 7+4 from date of your last missed period? If so and you were on the mini pill then I'm sure your dates could be wrong. When did you get a positive test? When are you going for rescan? xx

All looks good Fiora, you should expect to see the heartbeat around 7 weeks. Your scan sounds like everything is in the right place and doing what it should be so far. This early they usually do an internal scan and external later.

At 4 weeks there was nothing to be seen then went a week later and could see 'something' and was told to come back in 2 weeks. So at 7 weeks went back and there was the sac, pole and jumping bean and heartbeat!! I didn't get a print out on any of my scans (scans were all internal as external scan wont pick anything up yet) but from what you're saying it all seems positive and as it should be. :D

From what the paper says...it says you're 7+3 at the top, it also says that it's inside your uterus which is good meaning it's not ectopic and in your tubes. Where it says that your right ovary has the corpus luteum, I believe that means that is the side in which you ovulated from. But I am confused on the dating, she told you 5 weeks which is normal to not see a heartbeat but it says 7 on the paper... maybe I'm just reading it wrong but all sounds well to me!

Ahh you're all so reassuring. I calculated my dates from my last withdrawal bleed on the pill, which was 20th June, but I get there could be some leeway. Only time I saw my partner in July though was 3rd-13th of July so baby HAD to be conceived then... Which doesn't make sense for 5 1/2 weeks, I'd be more like just on 6 which makes me nervous :s Is it possible I could be 6 and it's just measuring small, or she didn't see some things?

I got my BFP on the 4th August, and I'm back for another scan on the 25th August (feels like ages away) Ideally at the next scan I'd be measuring 8 weeks because then my dates all fit and I'd just be measuring a little small right now... I'm so mixed up over this :(

And yes purelygemini, she said I ovulated and implanted on the right hand side!

You have to remember that sperm can survive in your body for a few days. If you had sex around July 13th you could have possibly ovulated a day or two later and that sperm may have fertilized the egg. That would put you around the 5.5 to 6 week mark I think. I ovulate late In my cycle so when my doctor said I was 7 weeks based on my LMP I know I was actually 6 and the ultrasound date was closer to my estimation.

If you have another u/s soon you should be able to see the heart beat. I saw mine at 6 weeks 5 days.

Try to stay positive, I know it is easier said than done! :) Bottom line, there's a baby in there, congrats!

I was going to say the same thing as Stevie. If you guys had sex the 13th, the spermies definitely could have been hanging out there for another few days before you ovulated and got pregnant :thumbup:

When it came to my second baby, I ovulated a week after the only time I had sex that month, and at least one sperm survived long enough for me to get pregnant (and a condom was used, so this was one super sperm)!!!! Hehe... Anyway, this is relevant given your situation. Since all you had was a withdrawal bleed from the pill, it's a wait and see situation. You have a big window of when you could have ovulated, from two days before the first time you DTD that cycle to about a week after! When do you go back for another ultrasound???

I was so sure I was around 7+3 the scan was a big shock. You're right I could have ovulated a few days after leaving, just seems really improbable?! I'm back for another scan on the 25th so it's a long waiting game :( I'm torn between thinking, yay more time for baby to grow so we see a nice strong heartbeat to panicking that it's stopped growing and I'm going to find out I had a mmc. Really stressed and worried atm!

It's really hard to measure and date correctly at this gestation too. Which is why dating scans are usually done between 10 and 14 weeks. They're just so tiny before then.
With one of mine I was put almost a week behind at the early scan which I knew couldn't be right- at my dating scan I was put forwRd again to what I thought I was.
I think everything sounds greT you're just not quite as far as you thought, especially as you are unsure of ovulation. Best of luck, keep us updated 😊

Sounds normal to me. It is completely possible for sperm to survive up to 7 days. You could have ovulated within the seven days after dtd. Also, scans can be off by a few days too. Don't stress, just try to relax until your next scan. They'll give you a more accurate due date when able to compare the two scans.

Did your US pic look something like this? The first one is my 7w4d US with #2 and the second double pic is my 6 week US with #1. Not much had changed between the two but from what you described you would be further along 5 weeks. My 4 week US was a black dot.

Attachments

• 7.1.jpg
    7.1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 6 week US.jpg
    6 week US.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 5
It's absolutely possible you could be 5 1/2 and didn't ovulate for a few days after you saw your hubbie. Also completely possible that the measurements were a few days out as the baby is teeny tiny right now. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->