Thought this article was interesting!!

Eniala

Reaction score
I would love it if they had a program like this is the US. It seems like when it comes to infants, we are so behind! We don't even get paid maternity leave. It would be awesome to be able to receive a box like this!

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/why-finnish-babies-sleep-boxes-140600913.html

Its probably not popular
and just my opinion,but Id rather provide for my child myself than have the government use my own tax dollars and others to buy me what they think I need. And I am in the US and get paid maternity leave, through my work and not the government. I guess I feel it's not the governments responsibility, or anyone else's, to pay for my family's needs.

I think that's a nice gift from the Government in Finland.

I wouldn't mind if the UK did that, I'd be happy that my paying tax meant I could get a few things for my baby but then also so could a person in a much more vulnerable position than me who might need a little help (we have a Sure Start grant in the UK which is govt funded and a little help for the more poorer people of society).

And a paid year maternity leave is so far amazing :thumbup: gosh knows why others are so far behind in this.

I think it's a wonderful gift! Being that I research health inequalities in maternal and fetal health across income and class lines in the US, perhaps this would be a great improvement. CatherineK, respectfully, don't forget that the tax feedback loop pays to educate and protect your children throughout childhood in public education and police/fire/emergency services.

Its probably not popular
and just my opinion,but Id rather provide for my child myself than have the government use my own tax dollars and others to buy me what they think I need. And I am in the US and get paid maternity leave, through my work and not the government. I guess I feel it's not the governments responsibility, or anyone else's, to pay for my family's needs.

Totally agree. We are already broke don't think that would be $ well spent at this point. And personally I don't like the idea of the government telling me what I need or don't need (I know it's only supposed to be a nice gift but it still rubs me the wrong way). Yes, I hate the lack of maternity leave but I would hate paying any more taxes than I already do, a lot more!

If you didnt want it surely you dont take it?!

But for some people it would be so so helpful - taxes go on lots of things why cant this be one of them? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->