Thyroid issues...bloodwork came in today. Advice?

Eren

Reaction score
On 3/28/2018 I had bloodwork done when I was 5 weeks (by a family doctor for a physical to start a new job).

On 4/12/2018 I had my first OB apt (8 weeks) which showed a baby growing right on track.

On 4/13/18 I got the results. TSH was 16.48 (normal is 1-5) and FT4 was .8 (normal is .7-2.2)

At this time I was experiencing extreme fatigue and cold/painful joints.

On 4/16/2018 My family doctor (who ran the bloodtests) started me on 25 mcg of Levothyroxine. I notified the OBGYN, who put in a referral for an endocrinologist. I was told by all 3 doctors NOT to WORRY, despite the horrific stories I read online. They all said that because my FT4 was in the normal range, and that's what the baby needed, all was good.

On 5/11/2018 (12 weeks pregnant) I made a trip to the ER. Feeling faint, like I couldn't breathe. They did an xray, EKJ, basic bloodwork, blood pressure, and heart rate-all came back NORMAL. Said these could be effects of thyroid medication.

On 5/21/2018 (14 weeks) I had a regular prenatal visit. She measured my uterus and listened to HB. She once again said I had NOTHING to worry about.

I have now been taking Levothyroxine for 38 days. I have more energy, feel warmer, and nomore painful joints.

Today I went in for bloodwork (tomorrow is my first apt with the endocrinologist). Results came back as:

TSH 8.40 (normal 1-5)
FT4 1.08 (normal .7-2.2)
T4 12.80 (normal 5.5-11)

I am still waiting on the results of T3 and FT3 results (they should be in any moment now). I am just so very overwhelmed and confused by these results. MY TSH is HIGH T4 is HIGH and FT4 is NORMAL. Its like I'm Hypo and Hyper at the same time. I just don't understand.

The doctors all keep saying the only important factor in this pregnancy is the FT4. Is that true? Should I be concerned with the baby's development? I am feeling so frustrated with my current OB-I just feel like things aren't being taken as seriously as they should be.

Sorry I don't have much to comment on other than I am having thyroid issues as well. However im 22 weeks. And have always had a large thyroid. My levels always come back a someone with an over active thyroid although my symptoms are always of an under active one. So they never know what to do and just continue to watch it. Now my Dr wants me to hat my levels checked again just to check in... We'll see what happens

How did things go with the endocrinologist? It is good that your TSH is down from 16 to 8 so I would say the levothyroxine is working. They might increase your dose to try to get your TSH down lower. Try not to worry, you’re doing everything right, being monitored closely, taking your medication. :hugs:

The rest of my results came in, total T3 was 142 (normal 76-181) and FT3 was 2.5 (normal 2.3-4.2).

I started to cry, because my family doctor doesnt know enough about the pregnancy or hormones to give me answers and my OB just keeps saying "not to worry" but wont take time to answer my questions. *I put in a self referral to a new OB and go there the 30th for a new patient appt.*

The doctor was amazing, she hugged me when I cried and as she filled in my chart I asked her all my questions (written on paper). She said while the TSH is high, its not as if I have NO thyroid. Ive always had some-just need more. She upped my Levothyroxine from 25mcg to 75mcg. I go back for bloodwork June 14th (she goes on vacation the week after).

After that appt and being assured that the baby and this pregnancy can continue unharmed, we went for a private scan. We got to see the baby, who is tall (15cm/5.9 inches) and weighs 4oz. She is in the 94th percentile and everything looked great structurally.

It was a very emotional day but so worth it! I can finally relax knowing our daughter is healthy and doing great.

Hi! I’m popping Over from first tri— I’m 11wks 6days now. I wanted to share my experience from my first pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my daughter I already knew I was hypo. I was on 25mcg of levothyroxine which was maintaining me well. When I got pregnant my OB told me that pregnancy jacks with your levels and she had my blood done once a month. My levels were off the charts. I can’t remember exactly what they were but I know they were wild. I also have hashimotis which means my body views my thyroid as a foreign invader and attacks it. Over the course of my pregnancy my Levo was increased several times. When I delivered I was at 175mcg. My daughter was healthy and just fine.

They did have me go to a high risk doc for my anatomy ultrasound because when mom has hashimotos baby can develop a goiter if moms levels are not good. Ultrasound was fine tho. A few things to remember:
1)it takes up to 3months of taking your levo daily to adjust to the meds. You won’t see a “fix” immediately. 2) your doc was right to up your meds. Don’t be alarmed if they keep upping them. They can (and probably will) be lowered after delivery. 3) Levo is perfectly safe while you’re pregnant- in fact not taking it can have serious side effects. Don’t get lazy with taking it. 4) until your levels are in normal range request monthly blood work.

Don’t stress too much. I freaked about all of this my first time too cuz the internet is a horrible witch. ;) but chances are, you’ll be fine. I’m pregnant with #2 now and my levels are much more in control. :)

Hi! I’m popping Over from first tri— I’m 11wks 6days now. I wanted to share my experience from my first pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my daughter I already knew I was hypo. I was on 25mcg of levothyroxine which was maintaining me well. When I got pregnant my OB told me that pregnancy jacks with your levels and she had my blood done once a month. My levels were off the charts. I can’t remember exactly what they were but I know they were wild. I also have hashimotis which means my body views my thyroid as a foreign invader and attacks it. Over the course of my pregnancy my Levo was increased several times. When I delivered I was at 175mcg. My daughter was healthy and just fine.

They did have me go to a high risk doc for my anatomy ultrasound because when mom has hashimotos baby can develop a goiter if moms levels are not good. Ultrasound was fine tho. A few things to remember:
1)it takes up to 3months of taking your levo daily to adjust to the meds. You won’t see a “fix” immediately. 2) your doc was right to up your meds. Don’t be alarmed if they keep upping them. They can (and probably will) be lowered after delivery. 3) Levo is perfectly safe while you’re pregnant- in fact not taking it can have serious side effects. Don’t get lazy with taking it. 4) until your levels are in normal range request monthly blood work.

Don’t stress too much. I freaked about all of this my first time too cuz the internet is a horrible witch. ;) but chances are, you’ll be fine. I’m pregnant with #2 now and my levels are much more in control. :)

Thank you so much, that is very reassuring to hear!

The stress of it all has caused extreme anxiety. Anxious because I felt I wasn't doing enough, ancious because I felt like the doctors weren't giving me answers, they just keep saying "not to worry" and that drives me crazy!

I started the 75mcg on May 25th, and on June 1st I took myself to the ER convinced I was having hyper symptoms. My heartrate was staying around 10p, my BP was high, my chest felt tight. However, it was all ANCIETY. I was hurting myself with my own thoughts!

While in the ER they did blood work, TSH dropped to a 5.5, FT4 was at 1.09 and FT3 at 4.1. Thats after only being on the 75mcg for a week!

After the ER ran their tests to prove I was not having a heart attack and it was all anxiety-induced, I found meditation, milk, and lavendar help the anxiety. After having a deep conversation with myself, I let it all go. Im experiencing no anxiety now, feel pretty great actually, and just enjoying the pregnancy.

I did transfer to a new OB, she's great. She put my with a high-risk doctor for the anatomy scan as well. I did show her the pics from out private scan at 14+3 and she said all looked great based off that.

I felt the baby kick just two days ago and am finally putting on weight (6 pounds to be exact!) Im just doing what I can to ensure a healthy pregnancy, by taking me meds and eating right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->