• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Time Magazine and AP

Im not keen on the photo itself but to call it abuse/exploitation is a bit extreme. I have nothing against extended BF even though it wouldn't be for me.

It all seems to have been done in a way to cause reaction and by god its done that..

There is another picture of her BFing her son which I like a whole lot more. Can't link it here due to forum issues, but he's across her lap and looks very content.

I've just googled and I personally think that photo looks a lot more suitable, regardless of the child's age he does look content in that alternative.

I still bf my son and he's 19 months tomorrow. he pulls at my top. Why should i express in a cup?! He likes the contented feeling he gets from nursing and it comforts him. There's nothing wrong with it. if he wanted milk in a restaurant now n was howling id give it to him. if people think theres something wrong that says more about their ignorance than me. Im doing what my body was made to do

i wouldn't put a picture of him on a magazine because for me personally its private between him and i. I do it in public but its still our own little time

Xx

I can see many of your mothers never taught you to "not say anything, if you can't think of anything nice to say"

Midori ~ for reasons i stated earlier. fora child to physically latch on to a mothers breast past a year old (6 months wud be my limit) is just plain wrong n weird! if u want to give your child BM then put it in a cup! no1 wud be none the wiser, but wot if your child decided one day in a restaurant they was tired n wanted to feed AT 3 n startin askin for it, quite loudly, havin abit if a tantrum too, wud u be embarrassed or jus let him have his way?? n have everyone stare n judge u?

Well, it might be wrong to you (and you're entitled to your opinion) but it's not wrong to the WHO or the AAP or the American society of family physicians, or plenty of medical professionals. There is proven to be no harm either physically or mentally to a child who is breastfed for as long as they want to, so what is wrong or weird about it exactly?

Why should I (or any woman) go to the hassle of expressing into a cup? Some women can't express anyway. What about women in third world countries where there would be hygene implications in expressing? Is it OK for them to directly breastfeed but not women in the developed world? If so, why?

If my child, aged 3 (and she's not 3 yet) was tired and having a tantrum then I'd deal with it in the same way I'd deal with any other tantrum, depending on whether I felt she needed a breastfeed I would decide whether or not to feed her. Lets face it, if she has a tantrum, people are going to judge, if I breastfeed her in public at 3, people are going to judge. Luckily for me, breastfeeding a 3 year old isn't illegal and also, I couldn't care less what anyone, much less strangers, think of me, especially not over my child's wellbeing.

It's the front cover of a flipping magazine, it's supposed to be unatural and shock people, that's how magazines are sold.... take the naked preg pic of Sadie Frost, that wasn't natural, you think she wasn't airbrushed, or sits in that pose at home? Just like this lady and her son!

The picture draws you in to want to read the article, and it's worked!

The difference is sadie frost is a grown woman choosing to exploit herself. This is a child being exploited . And for those who said they don't see him getting bullied later on in school, get real. I worked in the schools (elementary through high school) for 7 years. This will be passed around and he will be tormented because he is a big kid sucking on his mom's boob in a picture that has been published. Even if EB were common where he is, no one goes passing around pictures of it at school. I'd have no problem with it if it were a different picture. One that was not for shock value and one where you could not see who the child was. So many of you seem so concerned with making a statement and standing up for what you think is right, without thinking of the well being of this child- and the mother has done the same thing. There is nothing natural about making a child stand on a stool, put his mom's boob in his mouth, and pose for the camera. It is complete exploitation and to me, that is what is disgusting.

Thank goodness the child in question is homeschooled so he won't have to put up with narrow-minded people who would ridicule him!

Yes thank goodness! And I hope for his sake he stays home schooled, because pre-teens and teens are narrow minded, and that will never change- even if society's views on EB do!

Midori ~ for reasons i stated earlier. fora child to physically latch on to a mothers breast past a year old (6 months wud be my limit) is just plain wrong n weird! if u want to give your child BM then put it in a cup! no1 wud be none the wiser, but wot if your child decided one day in a restaurant they was tired n wanted to feed AT 3 n startin askin for it, quite loudly, havin abit if a tantrum too, wud u be embarrassed or jus let him have his way?? n have everyone stare n judge u?

Wrong and weird? What planet do you live on?! Why is it wrong for my 2 year old to latch on to me, or ask to feed when we are out (she asks very politely, by saying "milkies please mummy")? It's completely natural and it benefits her. Maybe stop being so judgemental, open your eyes and realise that breastfeeding 4 year olds is totally normal in most parts of the world.

im not even goin to justify my opinions with an answer.... because they are exactly that OPINIONS!! it will never change n ill always find it disturbing. its just DEFINATELY not for me

I'm going to be totally honest and say that before I had LO, the idea of bf-ing totally freaked me out. I dutifully went to the breastfeeding workshops put on by the NHS, did my own reading and research and said to my OH that I would give it a go. I've seen many friends distraught from not being able to bf and was resolute that if I wasn't able to, then I wasn't able to, end of. But I got lucky. My LO latched as soon as she was born and we are five months in with no problems. I love bf-ing and every day am grateful that I've had this trouble-free opportunity.

My experience has completely changed my perspective on bf-ing. Most of my friends stopped at six months and switched to formula. Like Midori1999, I'm interested in why the six month mark is commonly considered as being the limit for bf-ing. The NHS and WHO promote two years as their benchmark for how long you should breastfeed. A friend of mine bfs her 18 month old daughter and mutual friends frown and say she shouldn't be being bf; it's wrong. But why? Their views are not medically grounded like the NHS and WHO guidelines. So where has this six month limit come from? What grounds is this based on? Has our culture sexualised breasts to the point that we cannot see them for their natural use anymore? Is that why bf-ing a toddler is deemed 'disgusting' and 'wrong' by people? Do they think it's sexual?

As for extended breastfeeding, other cultures have been doing it for years, it's nothing new... (I would put a smiley with a flower here but the button won't work) https://www.naturalchild.org/guest/ruth_kamnitzer.html

im not even goin to justify my opinions with an answer.... because they are exactly that OPINIONS!! it will never change n ill always find it disturbing. its just DEFINATELY not for me

I find people with opinions like you wrong and weird to. Even disturbing the sheer amount of (fill in the blanks yourself) :thumbup:

perhaps it is a sexual thing... i no that my OH likes to 'play' when it comes to intimate time with them. just wouldnt feel right after 2,3,4 or more years i still had a child suckin on them... a significant child, totally different but not the same one

Do you mean you can't answer my questions? Because surely this is a discussion, where people explain why they thinkt he way they do? Or did you just want to pop into the thread and declare it weird and disgusting etc and that's was it?

You don't have to think it's for you, but that doesn't mean you have the right to tell other women that they are weird or wrong when there are plenty fo benefits to breastfeeding to natural term and no negatives.

we're not in those countries tho are we. we have weanin ages etc WEANING onto REAL FOOD why the hell is that child still latchin on? express n in a flippin cup wud make it a lil more easin, but that whole picture. wrong!!

I think the picture is Fab! :)... I follow some AP techniques but I stopped BF when LO was 15 months old as I felt that it was long enough for us, however I have no opinion on people who want to keep going x

However, the picture looks bad. That is not how mothers breastfeed .

I know and have seen people in our local toddler groups feed their children like this (okay, not with the stool but they do run up to their mothers and pull their tops up for a feed, whether standing or sitting).

that last bit IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

you nurse a baby not a child that can speak.

IMO when the child starts tuggin at the top, liftin it, even physically askin for it is TOO OLD (little britain BITTY comes to mind...) i think its a selfish thing to do. coz that woman wants to prove to everyone about breastfeedin n how its best. Yes agreed, up until around 6 months. there cannot be any benefits in the breast milk (if they still get any) at 3. that poor child as a pp said will be bullied in school for this unfortunately.

I dont have a problem with bf'in infact i regret not bein able to keep it up but at that age.... its gross

Just my opinion. n i no ill be riddled for this...

Wtf? you are by far the rudest and offensive person on this forum and all I have ever seen you do is bash mums for breastfeeding and attack AP parents, what did they ever do to you? would you like me bashing your choices of formula? I bet you would do enough ranting if any one dared to say anything against that!

Theres so much more I wish to say to you that probably would warrant a ban if I flapped my mouth off like you did there.

A pretty common response given by people who CAN'T justify their opinion, quite pathetic really. If you're going to have such a strong opinion on something at least back it up!

I'm so sick of people claiming full term nursing is "wrong" "wierd" or "disgusting". I find it wierd that people CHOOSE to give their offspring synthetic breastmilk at any stage... That's my opinion

perhaps it is a sexual thing... i no that my OH likes to 'play' when it comes to intimate time with them. just wouldnt feel right after 2,3,4 or more years i still had a child suckin on them... a significant child, totally different but not the same one

You are totally sick. :sick:

finished insulting breastfeeding mums yet?

Do you mean you can't answer my questions? Because surely this is a discussion, where people explain why they thinkt he way they do? Or did you just want to pop into the thread and declare it weird and disgusting etc and that's was it?

You don't have to think it's for you, but that doesn't mean you have the right to tell other women that they are weird or wrong when there are plenty fo benefits to breastfeeding to natural term and no negatives.

i have already explained my reasonings, if you failed to see n read them then so be it.
I also think a child that can speak with a dummy in its mouth is wrong too!
I also think giving a child a bottle with juice in is wrong (dentists will also say this as i was told by one) but u still see people doin it.

Yes i will walk by someone n if i saw them bf'in a 3-4 yr old ill judge them n talk behind their back. wrong? or is it just because im honest?? everyoner will judge n snigger at people at some point about anything, this is one i jus totally disagree with. medically approved with reasearch or not, cudnt care less its still wrong in my eyes, end of

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->