• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Time Magazine and AP

Katie, I would quote you, but my BnB is still messed up.

I think the issue is how people express their opinion. My DH disagrees with BFing past one, but he would never call me strange or disgusting if I continued. He's told me he doesn't agree with it and we've talked about it and he said he would support me, but it's just his belief. I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with people saying it's sexual or the mother wants it or that it's gross, wrong, or disgusting.

Fair, I think i COULD TAKE BEING CALLED DISGUSTING ETC BUT to say its sexual is a bit extreme. Ignore caps - coudnt be assed to go back and put in lower case

Another thread out of control and people attacking eachother. These past couple days on here have been INSANE! All I can say on this topic is that I don't agree with it, but if you want to BF a child til that age then go right ahead. It's not like giving a child drugs or beating them.

What has this site turned into??? This should be like the Baby & Drama club

Whilst I am very pro extended breastfeeding - It doesnt bother me that others think its "weird"/ "disturbing" etc ec as everyone is entitled to an opinion - even if it is extreme??

I dont think you can report someone for having an opinion that differs from yours - even if it is extreme :shrug:

I think it's the way she chose to express her opinion that made people upset. A little bit of tact goes a long way - I'm sure she could've stated her opinion in a way that wouldn't have ruffled so many feathers. But some people don't seem to care enough to choose their words carefully.

I wouldn't bf that long personally doesn't make it disgusting or wrong tho. When u weaned ur kids at 4 months Ashlee did any one here actually say it was disgusting? I'm not jumping on u just trying to make u realise thats its a very harsh word.

Ok ladies, I think this thread has gotten off topic! The real topic was the actual picture. Many of us, like myself, have no problem with extended breast feeding, even if it is not necessarily for us. Personally I would express at that point, but I don't think a mother is wrong for choosing to breastfeed instead. However, I think putting your almost 4 year old son in a shock value photo on the cover of a magazine is wrong. And I feel that is what we are debating here, the picture.

I don't think it is right to judge or call people disgusting (although I used that word to describe the mother putting her child in a shock value photo-and that had nothing to do with her BFing him..just putting him in that photo) and I also hope people realize how much crap us FF moms get. I couldn't breast feed past 7 weeks. I drove myself insane and spent a fortune trying and felt awful about myself, and will never get back those 7 weeks with dd. And I was so tired of people saying "you can do it, you just have to stick with it...don't supplement, it will make it worse" Lucky for me I had friends whose little ones ended up in ER due to them listening to the extreme pro breastfeeders and didn't want to disappoint. What is also bad about that is since people keep pushing us and telling us we can do it, we feel like even more of a failure when we can't. I still get people asking me every day if I am breastfeeding, and sometimes dh and I lie because I hate having people judge me for formula feeding and I am sick of having to explain myself. I am also embarrassed to feed dd in public because I dont want people to see me using a bottle of formula. So please ladies, the judging goes both ways and don't think it doesn't....just let's please do our best not to judge each other. We are all good mom's and are trying to raise out children the best we can. As for this thread, let's try to keep it about the picture/article rather than putting each other down.

As for reporting one of the posters, again I think things need to be fair wobbles. I have seen other threads of people getting attacked where you have said nothing(actually took their side) because it wasn't something you disagreed with. If you allow people to attack someone for putting rice cereal in a 3 month old's bottle, then you shouldn't freak out when someone makes rude comments about EB. All attacks are wrong and should be handled the same way, whether you agree with the subject or not.

I'd rather see a baby fed. Seen too many abused children left to starve. I don't know why FF moms think all BFing moms are judging them.

I find it pretty weird, and when I think about it more, pretty disgusting that we are the only species to drink another species milk! So, me extended breast feeding my daughters is horrendous...but drinking cow booby juice isn't?!? Why? What's more, we are the only species to carry on drinking milk into adulthood!!

I respect anyway of feeding children, ff or bf...I don't care, everyone has their own reasons. But to be labelled weird, gross and disgusting for following a natural process? No thanks.

There are some very, very immature comments on here.

I personally would defend something and go off the deep end if someone made comments like that about something I believed in but I also find the comments made on this thread unnecessary even if I don't believe in it. I don't know why people cannot accept other views. Its like "baby club, leave your tolerance at the door" :dohh:

Ok ladies, I think this thread has gotten off topic! The real topic was the actual picture. Many of us, like myself, have no problem with extended breast feeding, even if it is not necessarily for us. Personally I would express at that point, but I don't think a mother is wrong for choosing to breastfeed instead. However, I think putting your almost 4 year old son in a shock value photo on the cover of a magazine is wrong. And I feel that is what we are debating here, the picture.

I don't think it is right to judge or call people disgusting (although I used that word to describe the mother putting her child in a shock value photo-and that had nothing to do with her BFing him..just putting him in that photo) and I also hope people realize how much crap us FF moms get. I couldn't breast feed past 7 weeks. I drove myself insane and spent a fortune trying and felt awful about myself, and will never get back those 7 weeks with dd. And I was so tired of people saying "you can do it, you just have to stick with it...don't supplement, it will make it worse" Lucky for me I had friends whose little ones ended up in ER due to them listening to the extreme pro breastfeeders and didn't want to disappoint. What is also bad about that is since people keep pushing us and telling us we can do it, we feel like even more of a failure when we can't. I still get people asking me every day if I am breastfeeding, and sometimes dh and I lie because I hate having people judge me for formula feeding and I am sick of having to explain myself. I am also embarrassed to feed dd in public because I dont want people to see me using a bottle of formula. So please ladies, the judging goes both ways and don't think it doesn't....just let's please do our best not to judge each other. We are all good mom's and are trying to raise out children the best we can. As for this thread, let's try to keep it about the picture/article rather than putting each other down.

As for reporting one of the posters, again I think things need to be fair wobbles. I have seen other threads of people getting attacked where you have said nothing(actually took their side) because it wasn't something you disagreed with. If you allow people to attack someone for putting rice cereal in a 3 month old's bottle, then you shouldn't freak out when someone makes rude comments about EB. All attacks are wrong and should be handled the same way, whether you agree with the subject or not.

Erm, you've mentioned this going off topic, but have then started talking about FF, which is absolutely not relevent to the discussion. :wacko: Lets not make this into another BF v FF debate...

The child in the photo is 3. Would it be more acceptable if the child were a baby in arms?

So why is milk in a cup from a cows boob OK but milk fresh from the source from mamas boob bad?

I believe the answer is because boobs are primarily sexual in most ppls eyes so ppl associate bfing with sex. Not my opinion btw!

there is nothing wrong with BF until the child wants to stop,its the most natrual thing in the world and people who think its wrong IMHO are brainwashed as alot of us are in socity we have today. However saying that i hate the picture! its so provocative! just done for the shock eliment and to sell! i just wish the mum had insisted on a nicer picture,IMO its done nothing for BF...

Extended BF - amazing.
Using your child to make YOUR point of view in a deliberate attempt to shock/stir, not right.
The childs face could have been covered, the headline could be better, shes using her child in the way celebritys to, for publicity and i find that wrong.

perhaps it is a sexual thing... i no that my OH likes to 'play' when it comes to intimate time with them. just wouldnt feel right after 2,3,4 or more years i still had a child suckin on them... a significant child, totally different but not the same one

You are totally sick. :sick:

finished insulting breastfeeding mums yet?

I don't even bf but that really is a vile comment :nope:
I feel insuLted for all the mums on here that do, yep I don't paticually like the picture but not for no reason whatsoever did I consider it sexual :nope:

In just wondering if someone feels that it's only ok to bf for six months, does that mean they should only have formula for six months too? After all babies are being weaned onto real food then.

I think even if you don't like extended bf, surely bfing up to the point a child NEEDS bf or ff should be fine?

I'm fine with extended bf. I like the pic to a degree but I think that poor kid couldn't consent to having a pic like that out there, and even though the rest of the world will have forgotten about it there'll still be a neighbour or a second cousin somewhere who won't forget and it'll bite him on the bum at some point. That being said we don't know his life and his family etc. if he came from an area/family where everyone is bf for that long no one would notice and he won't really care. Where I come from I don't even know one single bfer of any aged baby so I wouldn't put a pic of Xander out there like that, bu of I loved in a strong bf community and had a big bf family maybe I'd feel differently.

I don't know why FF moms think all BFing moms are judging them.

Well, magazine covers like the one featured here are a good reason/example as to why. It basically says if you aren't breast feeding or attachment parenting then you're not "mom enough." That you're not as good as those who are able to or choose to bf/ap.

I know that my first reaction to seeing the cover was geared toward the title more than the image itself. I could care less about the image, whether I support EB or not. But the title??? It just screams that those of us who choose not to AP are not as good of a parent as those of "you" who do.

I am jealous of how that lady's boobs in the picture are so perky still. Or maybe her boobs just started out up at her chin and that is where they ended up. haha hopefully this lightens the mood a little in here :)

Whilst I am very pro extended breastfeeding - It doesnt bother me that others think its "weird"/ "disturbing" etc ec as everyone is entitled to an opinion - even if it is extreme??

I dont think you can report someone for having an opinion that differs from yours - even if it is extreme :shrug:

There's having an opinion and then there's having an OPINION without being rude though..... There's also such a thing as tact though Aswell .

I didn't choose to go down the ap route so I don't feel that way. But maybe that's because I was able to patent exactly how I planned re bf/ap so i couldn't care less if someoe else thinks they're more of a mum for say baby wearing or co sleeping (just as a example, I haven't had that feeling off any mummies here) they're all just different options to me, I don't see any better than any others really. Just what works for me and my LO will work differently for another mummy x

Yes, but mothers don't typically stand there with a hand on the hip while having herself and son pose for a camera!! That mother completely exploited her son. That poor kid is going to get so much crap from grade school through high school. She cares more about expressing her bfing opinions than the well being of her son in my opinion.

Doubtful if he'll get teased as no doubt the kid is home-schooled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->