• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Time Magazine and AP

im not even goin to justify my opinions with an answer.... because they are exactly that OPINIONS!! it will never change n ill always find it disturbing. its just DEFINATELY not for me

Do you mean you can't answer my questions? Because surely this is a discussion, where people explain why they thinkt he way they do? Or did you just want to pop into the thread and declare it weird and disgusting etc and that's was it?

You don't have to think it's for you, but that doesn't mean you have the right to tell other women that they are weird or wrong when there are plenty fo benefits to breastfeeding to natural term and no negatives.

i have already explained my reasonings, if you failed to see n read them then so be it.
I also think a child that can speak with a dummy in its mouth is wrong too!
I also think giving a child a bottle with juice in is wrong (dentists will also say this as i was told by one) but u still see people doin it.

Yes i will walk by someone n if i saw them bf'in a 3-4 yr old ill judge them n talk behind their back. wrong? or is it just because im honest?? everyoner will judge n snigger at people at some point about anything, this is one i jus totally disagree with. medically approved with reasearch or not, cudnt care less its still wrong in my eyes, end of

OMG I've been reading your posts on here and just getting angrier and angrier with you!!............ It's NOT wrong!!!!!! It's been proven that it''s NOT wrong!!! You are so narrow minded!!... I don't know if you have read this mother's Q&As that Ozziehun put a link up to but I can imagine you being one of these thoughtless idiots who has told her that they will call social services on them!.. How dare you make someone feel bad in the street by talking about them behind their back in earshot purely because you don't agree with their parenting styles!!

I honestly think this thread needs closed, its becoming REALLY hateful.

i think breastfeeding a 3-4yr old is sooooo beautiful and i hope ill be able to get that far with my son

I think the picture is Fab! :)... I follow some AP techniques but I stopped BF when LO was 15 months old as I felt that it was long enough for us, however I have no opinion on people who want to keep going x

However, the picture looks bad. That is not how mothers breastfeed .

I know and have seen people in our local toddler groups feed their children like this (okay, not with the stool but they do run up to their mothers and pull their tops up for a feed, whether standing or sitting).

that last bit IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

you nurse a baby not a child that can speak.

IMO when the child starts tuggin at the top, liftin it, even physically askin for it is TOO OLD (little britain BITTY comes to mind...) i think its a selfish thing to do. coz that woman wants to prove to everyone about breastfeedin n how its best. Yes agreed, up until around 6 months. there cannot be any benefits in the breast milk (if they still get any) at 3. that poor child as a pp said will be bullied in school for this unfortunately.

I dont have a problem with bf'in infact i regret not bein able to keep it up but at that age.... its gross

Just my opinion. n i no ill be riddled for this...

Gross? Seriously? :dohh:

Newborn babies "ask" for milk by crying. By 6-9 months they can ask for milk by signing and by tugging at the mother's top. By 1 year they may be able to ask verbally. Why on earth does how they ask make any difference?

And actually there are still lots of nutritional, immunological, neurological and psychological for continuing breastfeeding into toddlerhood and childhood. The WHO recommends that all children should be breastfed until at least 2 and then as long as mutually desired.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, so forgive me if someone else has already said this, but I agree with the last poster I quote here (sorry I can't see who posted it). Bfing is best and they even write that on the side of formula cans, I don't go around on the forum bashing ff mom's because for all I know, they were devastated that they couldn't bf and had to choose formula as a last resort, but this is a fact. I have never posted something to this effect on here before but I am so frustrated with all this bfing talk surrounding the magazine that I'm saying it now.

To second the last poster here, there are so many benefits to breastmilk well past 6 months, and breastmilk changes to accommodate the child's needs as they grow. I am proud to see any mom bf at all, and making it to 6 months is a huge accomplishment, but it's not a point to get to and stop because all nutrient needs change at that point. Breastmilk is still better than anything else you can give your child, and mom's shouldn't be forced to pump just to give that to them to accommodate judgmental strangers. I understand some people's discomfort with seeing toddlers NIP, but when they are still babies (which 6 month old's are!) I don't get it.

On the topic of multi-use boobs, it's not DH that had an issue with touching my boobs while I'm BFing. It's me that it made uncomfortable. I didn't feel like they were sexual objects anymore. They were to nurture my child and DH respected that.

And I have to agree with this too, my OH is a totally separate issue. I was uncomfortable with him using them as a sexual thing once I was bfing but am getting past that now (and still bfing). But he respected that and left them be, we compromised that very small part of our sex life for our LO. It didn't seem like a big deal (and OH was amused when they leaked :dohh: )

Ok ladies, I think this thread has gotten off topic! The real topic was the actual picture. Many of us, like myself, have no problem with extended breast feeding, even if it is not necessarily for us. Personally I would express at that point, but I don't think a mother is wrong for choosing to breastfeed instead. However, I think putting your almost 4 year old son in a shock value photo on the cover of a magazine is wrong. And I feel that is what we are debating here, the picture.

I don't think it is right to judge or call people disgusting (although I used that word to describe the mother putting her child in a shock value photo-and that had nothing to do with her BFing him..just putting him in that photo) and I also hope people realize how much crap us FF moms get. I couldn't breast feed past 7 weeks. I drove myself insane and spent a fortune trying and felt awful about myself, and will never get back those 7 weeks with dd. And I was so tired of people saying "you can do it, you just have to stick with it...don't supplement, it will make it worse" Lucky for me I had friends whose little ones ended up in ER due to them listening to the extreme pro breastfeeders and didn't want to disappoint. What is also bad about that is since people keep pushing us and telling us we can do it, we feel like even more of a failure when we can't. I still get people asking me every day if I am breastfeeding, and sometimes dh and I lie because I hate having people judge me for formula feeding and I am sick of having to explain myself. I am also embarrassed to feed dd in public because I dont want people to see me using a bottle of formula. So please ladies, the judging goes both ways and don't think it doesn't....just let's please do our best not to judge each other. We are all good mom's and are trying to raise out children the best we can. As for this thread, let's try to keep it about the picture/article rather than putting each other down.

As for reporting one of the posters, again I think things need to be fair wobbles. I have seen other threads of people getting attacked where you have said nothing(actually took their side) because it wasn't something you disagreed with. If you allow people to attack someone for putting rice cereal in a 3 month old's bottle, then you shouldn't freak out when someone makes rude comments about EB. All attacks are wrong and should be handled the same way, whether you agree with the subject or not.

Erm, you've mentioned this going off topic, but have then started talking about FF, which is absolutely not relevent to the discussion. :wacko: Lets not make this into another BF v FF debate...

The child in the photo is 3. Would it be more acceptable if the child were a baby in arms?

I know, I mentioned FF to discuss that on both sides we have negative comments coming our way and it should stop.

I think the photo would have been more appropriate if it looked more natural and loving. Not a kid staring at a camera. The photo was done for shock value, and in my opinion to use your son like that is not right. I would have been perfectly fine of a natural breast feeding photo of a mother and three year old.

Ahh, some daily BC drama with my morning coffee! Just how I like my coffee actually :haha:
No, seriously. I can't believe some of the stuff I've seen said here in this thread, and I'm a BC veteran by now. It's amazing that one of the most natural of acts can cause such an unnatural stir.

On the topic of multi-use boobs, it's not DH that had an issue with touching my boobs while I'm BFing. It's me that it made uncomfortable. I didn't feel like they were sexual objects anymore. They were to nurture my child and DH respected that.

100% with you ozzie!!
I dont feel like they are anything sexual for now, and prefer them off limits.
I also couldnt imagine putting my husbands sexual wants with my breast, over my childs needs :shrug:

Can I also point out that you never really know how you feel about extending your breastfeeding preference until you do it for awhile. My origninal goal was 6 months, I thought it would be weird after that. But around 2 months I knew I needed and he needed longer than that. I was sad to think I only had 4 months left, and its become so bonding and natural and how happy it makes him. We are going to 1 year, and who knows I might even decide to go to 2 years, but we will see :)

Ok ladies- here is why some of us are so offended by Time magazine

https://www.latimes.com/news/nation...-breastfeeding-cover-20120511,0,6423348.story

The picture was not made to inform, educate, enlighten etc. It was not to shine a good light on extended breast feeding. It was made to shock and cause controversy, which it did, and now this poor kid has unwillingly (due to his age) been sucked into this. That is complete exploitation and that is not an opinion, it is a fact. The editors said it themselves. This picture was meant to shock and cause a lot of talk. Here is a quote from LA times:

"It's just a story about breastfeeding. Yet it stops you. It shocks you. This is in your face."

And that, of course, "is an editor's dream come true," he said. "Lots of people may be shocked with this cover. We live in a society that says, 'If I don't shock you, you won't pay attention to me.' "

And in my opinion, to use your 4 year old for that- no matter what the content might be about, is wrong.

I guess for me is why all the negativity towards it. If someone chooses to extend bf, baby wear, co sleep etc. isn't it each to their own? Why can't we all have alternative ways of parenting ( assuming the child isn't being hurt etc. ) shouldn't it be live and let live? If it's not for you, that's fine, but why can't we be open minded to other experiences. On the flip side if someone doesn't choose to do it, it shouldn't be "forced" on them that it's the best/ only way. As I put before, before educating my self on it, I would have thought it weird, but since understanding about it, I think it's a great thing to do if it works for you and little un. Just be open minded to different experiences.

Ok ladies, I think this thread has gotten off topic! The real topic was the actual picture. Many of us, like myself, have no problem with extended breast feeding, even if it is not necessarily for us. Personally I would express at that point, but I don't think a mother is wrong for choosing to breastfeed instead. However, I think putting your almost 4 year old son in a shock value photo on the cover of a magazine is wrong. And I feel that is what we are debating here, the picture.

I don't think it is right to judge or call people disgusting (although I used that word to describe the mother putting her child in a shock value photo-and that had nothing to do with her BFing him..just putting him in that photo) and I also hope people realize how much crap us FF moms get. I couldn't breast feed past 7 weeks. I drove myself insane and spent a fortune trying and felt awful about myself, and will never get back those 7 weeks with dd. And I was so tired of people saying "you can do it, you just have to stick with it...don't supplement, it will make it worse" Lucky for me I had friends whose little ones ended up in ER due to them listening to the extreme pro breastfeeders and didn't want to disappoint. What is also bad about that is since people keep pushing us and telling us we can do it, we feel like even more of a failure when we can't. I still get people asking me every day if I am breastfeeding, and sometimes dh and I lie because I hate having people judge me for formula feeding and I am sick of having to explain myself. I am also embarrassed to feed dd in public because I dont want people to see me using a bottle of formula. So please ladies, the judging goes both ways and don't think it doesn't....just let's please do our best not to judge each other. We are all good mom's and are trying to raise out children the best we can. As for this thread, let's try to keep it about the picture/article rather than putting each other down.

As for reporting one of the posters, again I think things need to be fair wobbles. I have seen other threads of people getting attacked where you have said nothing(actually took their side) because it wasn't something you disagreed with. If you allow people to attack someone for putting rice cereal in a 3 month old's bottle, then you shouldn't freak out when someone makes rude comments about EB. All attacks are wrong and should be handled the same way, whether you agree with the subject or not.

Erm, you've mentioned this going off topic, but have then started talking about FF, which is absolutely not relevent to the discussion. :wacko: Lets not make this into another BF v FF debate...

The child in the photo is 3. Would it be more acceptable if the child were a baby in arms?

I know, I mentioned FF to discuss that on both sides we have negative comments coming our way and it should stop.

I think the photo would have been more appropriate if it looked more natural and loving. Not a kid staring at a camera. The photo was done for shock value, and in my opinion to use your son like that is not right. I would have been perfectly fine of a natural breast feeding photo of a mother and three year old.

I agree^^ whilst i think its wonderful the mum is BF her 3 year old,i dont like the picture,it does not look natural at all but very provoactive,which i guess the mag wanted :nope: just wished the mum had insisted on a nice natural picture,it would have done alot more for BF mums...

I'm yet to read through all the posts on here. I'm not sure quite yet if it's a good idea, but well..

Anyway, was reading the comments on the article and I'm actually sitting with tears in my eyes, feeling sick to the stomach. People saying it's child abuse and incest. I'm just lost for words.

I have nothing smart to say, I'm just heartbroken that this is what people think.

ETA: What is peoples fascination with making kids grow up so quickly?! They're talking about 3 year olds having to be dependent and having to grow up. These are CHILDREN we are talking about, they are not supposed to be independent, they need nurturing and taking care of. Some women choose to do this with breastfeeding which is a beautiful thing and it hurts me to see that people condemn these women for it.

Lauki:
Those comments on those articles were appalling...and amazingly uneducated. :nope:

Ok so some people agree some people don't lets get over it and not turn this into a bitchfest. <3

:hugs: lauki. Breastfeeding is far from sexual. It's the most natural thing in my mind. Even though Alex is coming up to one he's still my baby if you get what I mean? Nothing changes when he turns one.

They sure are MD :(. And it's horrific!

I think: live and let live, as long as no one is harming any children!
And obviously extended breastfeeding isn't harming kids, otherwise the human race would have NEVER made it this far, would we now?

I think the picture would have been better if he'd been looking up at his mother in the photo rather than at the camera, it would have looked more nurturing and given a more positive image of breastfeeding.

I do think it's important for images of breastfeeding to be shown as there are some women who are worried about breastfeeding in public and it can be hard enough without the extra stress. Luckily I've not come across any negativity when I have fed in public so I am completely comfortable with it but I know it's not the case for everyone.

I don't know how I'd feel about extended breastfeeding as I have only been breastfeeding for just over 3 months. I did feel a bit sad the other day when I realised I was already a quarter of the way towards my one year target so maybe I will carry on longer.

:hugs: lauki. Breastfeeding is far from sexual. It's the most natural thing in my mind. Even though Alex is coming up to one he's still my baby if you get what I mean? Nothing changes when he turns one.

I so agree, Soph will be turning 1 only a couple of weeks after Alex and feeding her is still the same as when she was newborn (only less often and less long :haha:).

Especially at night it's a way for her to calm down and perhaps collect her thoughts (if she already does that, if not she will when she's older) after a long day full of excitement, exploring, discovering and developing. It's bloody hard work to be a baby or a toddler or a young child. I feel I'm blessed being able to offer her comfort and a time to relax in this way as I've not found anything yet that works anywhere near as good for my Duracell Bunny :)!

https://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-11/breastfeeding-rates/54909940/1

Anthropologists say bfing until three is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->