time outs

I started to use them when the kids knew what they were doing was wrong. ifykwim?

thanks. I meant to type more earlier but Hannah was being a pill :haha:

She understands a lot now and she does know when well tell her not to do something but a lot of times she'll go ahead and do it anyways. She understand us telling her to sit down in X spot (for just a minute or two) and than we'll go get her, tell her you aren't allowed to do "X" which is why you had to sit (well in more simplified terms for her) and tell her she can get up and go play. But I worry if we're starting to early or doing it right :wacko:

I don't think it's too early :) If she seems to be understanding and it's correcting the behavior I think it's perfect timing. We started probably around 18mo give or take a couple months with each. Hayden it took longer for him to really understand but Casen and Landon figured it out pretty much right away and they have worked really well.

We just started doing time outs and it's been working well for us.

main thing to consider when starting them is do they understand????

NO dont use it

YES get using it it works wonders lilly was around 16 months i cant remember now but it works xxx

Hannah has a pretty good grasp of language and does seem to understand when we tell her no, that's dangerous, be careful etc. and the timeouts do seem somewhat effective, though I've had to use it several times today for the same thing! :rofl:

PB--I read a pretty good article on time outs here https://www.pampers.ca/en_CA/parent...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PostnatalEmail

We do a lot of that though I tend to get down on her level when the minute is up and tell her why she was in time out than ask her if she wants to get up and play and tell her I love her

i do it pretty much the same just lilly has to say sorry and give me a kiss and a cuddle but getting onto there level is the best thing..... good luck hun xxx

Hannah doesn't know the word sorry yet as far as I can tell, I try to get her to hug me but that's so-so and she's only very recently learned how to give kisses and she'd usually rather give the cats or the cow on the TV a kiss rather than me :haha: :rofl:

Id say the best time is when they have some comprehension of what they are doing is wrong. My two eldest were around 18 mths.
Good luck hun x

Ive just started doing time outs with ds who is 18 months, I have been sitting him on the step for a couple of months now but this doesnt seem to work.
I now have a travel cot up in his room, and if he is pushing it and I feel like Im loosing my cool then I will put him up there for a couple of minutes.

What sort of things do you guys do time outs for?

My son is good at screaming tantrums, on the way home from town he screamed at the top of his voice all the way home in the car, so I said if he didnt stop screaming he would go in the cot when home. So he ended up in the cot and then stopped the tantrum once he came down for a cuddle. Where as if I hadnt have done that, then the tantrum could have gone on for a while.

Is the recommendations still to ignore tantrums and carry on around them? I just cant do that, after a minute of the noise etc. I just want to scream myself - so I find putting him up in the travel cot also gives me time out!

Also, my son also needs a cuddle and dummy to calm down after his tantrum - I dont see this as a problem really as I think he has had a hard time expressing his anger, dealt with it, but then needs some calming down time. Does anyone else's lo have to do this?

Luckily Hannah doesn't throw many tantrums yet. Most of her time outs so far have been because she's doing things she knows she's not allowed to (repeatedly). I tell her not to do X because it's not nice/is dangerous etc. and if she ignores my warning sit her down in timeout which is on a rug close to a barely used entry area and carry on with whatever I was doing before. After her minute is up I get down on her level and tell her why she was in time out and that I love her etc. and ask if she's ready to get up and go play. Sometimes she cries in time out sometimes she doesn't but she usually is fine once I go over and tell her she can get up :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->