Tips for getting a tired baby to nurse

Rhapsodi

Reaction score
Today we did DSs newborn pictures. He was awake for the whole 2 hours (he hates lights). Well he feel asleep right after and slept for the next 4 hours. I tried to wake him a little so he could eat as he didn't eat much before or during (some just not his usual amount).

When I tried to have him nurse he screamed so stopped and he just went back to sleep. He does this screaming right before bed and early in the morning too. Both when I know he's tired and hungry.

He typically cluster feeds before bed but wants one last time yet, he will fight it. Then in the early morning (4/5am) he does the same, fusses because he wants to eat but is too tired to actually eat so he screams through it. (He typically will have last feeding around 10/10:30, wake for a quick change and snack around 1:30/2, then want to eat again around 4:30/5 where he will scream through it, then sleep until 9/10.)

Any tips/advice for a baby that loves to eat but is to tired? Do I need to ask his dr about how much he's sleeping?

It sounds to me like a "wait it out" type of thing. He will be more awake and alert in a few weeks.

has he been checked for jaundice, this can make baby extra sleepy. getting him naked might getting him more awake to eat.

At his 1week check up which was done at 3 days old (so a week ago) the dr said he had mild jaundice. I don't think it's gotten worse. He doesn't look jaundice. He has been getting more alert too during the day.

Today he's been more tired but he was more awake during pictures, so I think he's just tired from that. But I was feeding him an hour ago and he vomited atleast 5oz of milk. I might call to get him in tomorrow or Monday.

My lo was a very sleepy baby for about 2 weeks, I would strip him down to just a diaper for each feed, tickle, pinch, use a cold cloth to keep him going them always change diaper before switching sides. It is exhausting but very soon you'll be wondering why he won't just go to sleep ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->