To circumcise or NOT to circumcise?!

No, in fact I'm very much against non-medical necessity circumcision. Simply because I believe in that every person has a right to chose what happens to their body, no matter how young they are. Obviously excepting genuine medical issues.

I'm also against non medical circumcision. I have never known anyone to have complications from being intact and never actually known anyone (that I know of) that is circumcised. I agree with lhancock, it's never going to be pretty is it?

I really admire you OP for not just going with the status quo and actually looking up what is involved and thinking about it, I imagine many more push their heads in the sand to justify ludicrously shallow reasons for circumcision, I would be interested to know how many would be so confident in their decision after watching the video. I won't watch it but no boy of mine will be circumcised unless a doctor tells me it's needed. I will raise my boys to wash their penises and not worry about how they look, not that it's an issue in the UK, but seems lazy to me to physically cut your child because you think it is cleaner and because you worry what others will think about how it looks. Very bizarre, I'm glad to hear it could be decreasing in popularity, hopefully common sense and compassion will prevail.

People's perceptions need to change, not little boys' penises.

I have to be honest. I have seen circed and uncirced and I just don't think in general either of those looks very nice. It's not like penises are a great work of art anyway. So that justification is just, ridiculous to me.

I think as it's not my body, it's not my decision. So I won't pierce my daughters ears or cosmetically alter any part of their bodies so if I do ever have a son, I certainly won't circumcise.

As a point of interest here, is saying " but it's fine for religious reasons" just something people say to avoid offending others?
Why is it okay if it's for religious reasons?
If I beat my children with a stick for "religious reasons" is that okay? Why do any of the reasons we all give NOT to do it become invalid once it's for "religious reasons"
I'm not saying this is something I believe. I'm just providing a topic of discussion there.

I agree with you. It's a pet peeve of mine when people justify everything because of "religion" and no one can say a thing in fear of offending them.

This behaviour confirms my belief that many people that follow a religion just do that: "follow". No question asked and offended if someone offers a different opinion. Of course it is not everyone as shown in this thread (like Rachel C's hubby)...

But that's a whole other thread, lol:haha:

It's not really a 'thing' here as others have said. I really don't understand it.
I only know of one person who's had it done (as an adult) and it just looked very strange to me. I've been told Lucas might need circumcising when he's older because his skin is too tight, I hope it rights itself :(

I think it's quite rare to do it just for the sake of it in the UK, it doesn't even come up. My OH is circumcised but due to medical reasons at around age 7, he remembers the pain so definitely wouldn't have considered it for our son. I really don't understand why people do. I know there are 'religious' reasons, but I'm ignorant to exactly what those reasons are. Although, I don't think it can really be compared with female genital mutilation, that is a whole other issue.

Why not? Male Circumcision is the physical equivalent of WHO Type 1a Female Genital Mutilation (Removal of the clitoral hood).

How can you say you can't compare the removal of one sex's genitalia for cosmetic purposes to the removal of another sex's genitalia for cosmetic purposes? What separates them? Is it simply because people who practice male circumcision don't want to think that what they do to their sons is essentially the same as some female genital mutilation? Does it make them uncomfortable to realize that it is the same thing?

I'm against both btw, i'm not saying one is okay and the other not...both are abhorrent. I think it's more the reasons behind it. People who circumcise their sons (from what I know) usually do it because they think it will benefit their son in some way, people who circumcise their daughters do it because it will also benefit someone else's son. It is never about benefiting the female. Men are circumcised because they think it will reduce chances of infection etc., women are circumcised because 'they cannot be trusted.' From anecdotal evidence from people I know, men who have been circumcised don't really experience any negative side affects (as I say, purely anecdotal, i'm sure there is evidence to suggest otherwise) whereas it takes pleasure completely away from sex for the women, there is potential for serious problems and it can remain painful, it doesn't heal in the same way.

They are both wrong, and comparable to an extent, but they are not the same.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that being circumcised can reduce sexual pleasure for men. I don't have one though so I wouldn't know!

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that being circumcised can reduce sexual pleasure for men. I don't have one though so I wouldn't know!

We were taught this in sex ed at school, it takes away sensitivity. As you say, we can only take their word on it :lol:

It's not the norm here in the UK, unless it's for religious reasons. We're not doing it, just because most don't and hubby is fine ha ha x

It's as normal as wearing clothes here in the US.. So hopefully if any other US moms see this they can make a decision is well. I hope it helps someone.

It's dropping in the US. My pediatrician said that 3/4 of his male patients aren't done. I made the decision not to and caught hell from my family telling me my son would be dead at six months. Well he's four and a half and has never had any issue. I did 3 months of research with him. I decided it wasn't necessary. I didn't need a video to change my mind.

Wow! What an awesome family to tell you your kid would be dead at six months

yea any wonder my mom and my relationship is struggling?

Omg....i just watched the injection and turned it off. Totally in tears. This makes me so furious and angry and, imo, should not be allowed. Terrible.

Heck no, I didn't do this to my son. My husband is but that was done in hospital before he was adopted. My son is perfect as God made him. 7/10 boys are NOT circd here....and almost all my friends boys are intact. Tbh, it has NEVER come up that my son is a smidgen different looking than my hubby. My son is 10 years old. We did talk about circumcision once and my son told me he is glad that I didn't do it. I think it horrified him.

I'm SO glad Claire was a girl. I was against circumcision, but hubby is circumcised and he wanted it done if we had a boy. We had countless fights about it, his main one being that HE was going to be showing our potential boy how to pee etc, and he didn't want to look different from his son. :dohh:

I explained that it wouldn't be just him, I'D be the one home so I'D be the one showing him more often than not... and its not like I've got a penis to whip out and show him how to do it? :shrug:

It was something we never agreed upon, and when we found out we were having a girl it became a moot point. Not sure what would have happened had we had a boy, but I would've fought to not do it.

It is more the "norm" here, but is slowly starting to lose popularity.

It's not the norm here in the UK, unless it's for religious reasons. We're not doing it, just because most don't and hubby is fine ha ha x

It's as normal as wearing clothes here in the US.. So hopefully if any other US moms see this they can make a decision is well. I hope it helps someone.

It's dropping in the US. My pediatrician said that 3/4 of his male patients aren't done. I made the decision not to and caught hell from my family telling me my son would be dead at six months. Well he's four and a half and has never had any issue. I did 3 months of research with him. I decided it wasn't necessary. I didn't need a video to change my mind.

Wow! What an awesome family to tell you your kid would be dead at six months

yea any wonder my mom and my relationship is struggling?

Mine too... completely feel you there.

Did they genuinely think he'd be dead in 6 months? Do they think baby boys in Europe, South America, and most of Asia are dropping like flies? :wacko:

It's not really a 'thing' here as others have said. I really don't understand it.
I only know of one person who's had it done (as an adult) and it just looked very strange to me. I've been told Lucas might need circumcising when he's older because his skin is too tight, I hope it rights itself :(

We were told this by a Dr once when we went about infected eczema around that area, but on seeing a more experienced Dr we were reassured that circumcision is the last resort nowadays, they try a lot of other options first.

Did they genuinely think he'd be dead in 6 months? Do they think baby boys in Europe, South America, and most of Asia are dropping like flies? :wacko:

We were told this by a Dr once when we went about infected eczema around that area, but on seeing a more experienced Dr we were reassured that circumcision is the last resort nowadays, they try a lot of other options first.

Apparently my cousin had an infection at six months old that put him in the hospital for several weeks. So that's what they went on lol. We have no regrets. Dh is done and wished he wasn't and didn't want his sons done.

I never even considered it for either of my sons. I find the practise quite disturbing, actually. The pro arguments are weak at best.

I never even considered it for either of my sons. I find the practise quite disturbing, actually. The pro arguments are weak at best.

I definitely agree. They also don't have any strong evidence that the claims they are making are true. They say that circumcision can greatly prevent the transmission of the HIV virus. We're the only country that practices the circumcision of boys so widely. However we are also one of the top countries that have the most people living with AIDS/HIV... Which is odd. Anyway I would like to think my son is going to "wrap it up" and will protect himself from STDs. The clean thing just doesn't do it for me.. So I'll teach him to clean himself correctly. As I do with my daughter.

I definitely agree. They also don't have any strong evidence that the claims they are making are true. They say that circumcision can greatly prevent the transmission of the HIV virus. We're the only country that practices the circumcision of boys so widely. However we are also one of the top countries that have the most people living with AIDS/HIV... Which is odd. Anyway I would like to think my son is going to "wrap it up" and will protect himself from STDs. The clean thing just doesn't do it for me.. So I'll teach him to clean himself correctly. As I do with my daughter.

If anything telling people circumcised penises make STDs less likely (which I am certain isn't true) could exasperate the number of STDs as it could make some people be less safe because they think they are safer.

Just curious, are you talking about the number of cases of infection that have historically been documented in the population, or the number of those currently living and being treated? I only ask because, as of the end of 2012, we ranked 64th in terms of HIV/AIDS prevalence in the population. Not great, I admit, but I don't know if I would consider it one of the "top countries".

It isn't routinely done here in the uk. If I had a son I wouldn't get him circumcised as it's his body. If he wanted to be circumcised one day then that would be his decision to make and I wouldn't prevent him either way :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->