• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

To circumcise or NOT to circumcise?!

I never even considered it for either of my sons. I find the practise quite disturbing, actually. The pro arguments are weak at best.

I definitely agree. They also don't have any strong evidence that the claims they are making are true. They say that circumcision can greatly prevent the transmission of the HIV virus. We're the only country that practices the circumcision of boys so widely. However we are also one of the top countries that have the most people living with AIDS/HIV... Which is odd. Anyway I would like to think my son is going to "wrap it up" and will protect himself from STDs. The clean thing just doesn't do it for me.. So I'll teach him to clean himself correctly. As I do with my daughter.

If anything telling people circumcised penises make STDs less likely (which I am certain isn't true) could exasperate the number of STDs as it could make some people be less safe because they think they are safer.

Yeah, if they are complete idiots..

I never even considered it for either of my sons. I find the practise quite disturbing, actually. The pro arguments are weak at best.

I definitely agree. They also don't have any strong evidence that the claims they are making are true. They say that circumcision can greatly prevent the transmission of the HIV virus. We're the only country that practices the circumcision of boys so widely. However we are also one of the top countries that have the most people living with AIDS/HIV... Which is odd. Anyway I would like to think my son is going to "wrap it up" and will protect himself from STDs. The clean thing just doesn't do it for me.. So I'll teach him to clean himself correctly. As I do with my daughter.

Just curious, are you talking about the number of cases of infection that have historically been documented in the population, or the number of those currently living and being treated? I only ask because, as of the end of 2012, we ranked 64th in terms of HIV/AIDS prevalence in the population. Not great, I admit, but I don't know if I would consider it one of the "top countries".

Thanks for the correction.. Where did you find that, for my personal inquiries..

If anything telling people circumcised penises make STDs less likely (which I am certain isn't true) could exasperate the number of STDs as it could make some people be less safe because they think they are safer.

Yeah, if they are complete idiots..

If people are idiotic enough to think slicing skin off of a new born baby makes him "cleaner" and justify it for this reason or because it is more "social acceptable"....or even worse "to look like Daddy" then yup I believe there are some people stupid enough to think they are safer having sex than a non circumcised person. Just as there were girls out there who thought they were safe from STDs because they had the HPV vaccine. Not everyone has common sense.

https://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=32

Just curious, are you talking about the number of cases of infection that have historically been documented in the population, or the number of those currently living and being treated? I only ask because, as of the end of 2012, we ranked 64th in terms of HIV/AIDS prevalence in the population. Not great, I admit, but I don't know if I would consider it one of the "top countries".

I don't know where either of you get your information from so I can't check, but it would be interesting to know where it ranks in developed counties, we obviously know that developing countries have shockingly high aid rates, but where does the US rank in the developed counties?

What I must've looked at is people living with HIV/AIDS in that coutry..

I don't know where either of you get your information from so I can't check, but it would be interesting to know where it ranks in developed counties, we obviously know that developing countries have shockingly high aid rates, but where does the US rank in the developed counties?

Tried to look it up but its hard to find as search results just keep coming up with developing countries but source for Europe says the highest rate (in Europe) is in Estonia which is 1,3% and source for all countries says USA is 0,4-0,9%. The highest in Western Europe is Portugal with 0,7 but most countries are 0,4 or under so US is either comparable or then higher (don't know why there's such a large range in the US percentage)

The link I posted has the majority of the countries' rates in descending order, as of 2012 I believe.

The link I posted has the majority of the countries' rates in descending order, as of 2012 I believe.

Sorry, missed your link.

It is interesting that if you take out the developing counties the us does score quite highly, i didn't knew Switzerland had such a major issue either!

But no, it's certainly not the highest, and the other figures of actual numbers is t compatible as the us has more people so therefore will have higher number of people with HIV.

The fact is circumcision does not reduce the resistance to HIV anyway, in fact I can not find any real evidence to support it other than cosmetic and tradition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->