Toddler sleep advice needed - please help!!!

pollyfungle

3 wonderful girls!!!!
Reaction score
Hi, dd2 is 23 months and has never been the best sleeper in the world. She still has a bottle to go to bed, usually around 8pm. She will fall asleep with it in her mouth. She'll sleep until somewhere between 12 and 2 then come into my bed and have another bottle to fall asleep again. Some nights she'll then sleep through till 7, others she'll wake on and off and need a bottle constantly.

Last night she woke at 2, had a bottle and then slept until half 5. From then until 7 she only dozed, and had a bottle the whole time - still sucking when it was empty. I KNOW that she shouldn't have a bottle, but when we've tried to get her off it she screams.

My youngest is 9 weeks old, and sleeps better than her big sister!!! Any suggestions on how I get her off the bottle and sleeping all night long? I'm exhausted from being up all night with her.

I've thought about telling her we're giving the 'bottle fairy' her bottles for babies who need them, giving her a present the next day. If I keep her up late she may fall asleep without the bottle, but what about in the middle of the night?

I'm at my wits end, and really want to sort this out. She's not hte biggest eater, and I'm sure filling up on milk all night can't be helping her.

Really need some advice!

I would instead of offering her milk give her water only when she wakes up. I know some babies take much longer to sleep through, my youngest didn't until 15mo and has gone through spurts where he doesn't for a couple weeks now..he's 20mo now. He really needed those feedings until 15mo. Do you think she NEEDS that milk? Or is it a habit. I think at her age most likely it's just a habit, but only you know for sure. IF that is the case I would give just the water. She will probably get mad BUT you have to stand your ground because it's not only bad for her to fill up on it and not eat, too much milk also interferes with the absorbtion of iron and other nutrients, also it can rot their teeth :( I think instead of weaning her off the best way is cold turkey, everytime we've slowly weaned the boys off something, like a pacifier they have started to hold on tighter to it. I don't think they really understand what's going on, that it's best to have it completely change and it only be the one option...kwim? But what I would personally do is just offer the water, most likely after a few nights of it she won't wake for it. But I would switch to water in the bottle, then water in the sippy cup, or regular cup instead of a bottle and get rid of the bottles completely. If she isn't getting the milk and you break the habit she "should" start sleeping through. I would be sure to follow a good bedtime routine, and make sure she isn't overtired, or having too many naps during the day too so that she sleeps better at night. Good luck!

Thanks mommyof3co,

the milk at night is just habit. She went through the night form 8 weeks until nearly 18 months fine, then has regressed!!!!

Am going to offer her a cup of milk before bed tonight, then just water in the night like you said. Dh is home every evening for the next week, and my mum is coming across today for a few days so I'll have some moral support (and help in the day if I'm up all night!!!)

I agree with mommyof3co instead of weaning her of her bottle just go cold turkey, it may take a bit longer because she is older now but it would be for the best in the long run. I wouldnt let her fall asleep sucking the bottle that could cause bottle rot which believe me you dont want her to have. If it is just a habit then I would start straight away and stick to it, I know there will be a lot of screaming and shouting but hun you need a good night sleep to and the only way to get that is to take her bottle then she may sleep through because she wont wake looking for it. I hope things work out for you hun xx

Good luck!!!!! I would set something like she can have some milk before bed, then brush teeth and once she's in bed it's only water. So that way she can still relax and have some milk as part of her nighttime routine but once in bed that's it...that way you can get it off her teeth so it doesn't cause her teeth to rot

My daughters 3 in september and she still wakes up at 2 to get in our bed....she is a terrible sleeper unlike Izzy who sleeps right through and she only 3months!

just an update!

gave dd2 a cup of milk which she didn't drink as she said she doesn't like milk!! (never has unless its in a baby bottle :rofl:) took her to bed just after 8, and she was asleep within 10 minutes.

She woke at 12, came into my bed so as not to wake anyone else (something else to sort out!!!) tossed and turned until half 2, had a drink of apple juice then slept until 5, was awake for half an hour, little bit sad but then slept until 5 minutes ago!

Hopefully, tonight will go the same if not better!!!

Bottles were left for the bottle fairy so she knows they've gone and can't come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->