Toddlers & Steroid Inhalers

Caroline

Proud Mum of 4
Reaction score
My middle child is now 3 1/2 and has recently been diagnosed as asthmatic, unlike my son who only needed ventolin initially and can normally get by with 1 or 2 puffs of preventative a day, my middle daughter is needing 2 puffs 4x a day. We were supposed to be reducing dose, but even on 3 x a ady she is waking coughing in am, an exercise makes her cough.

I'm really not happy giving such a young child so much steroid so will have to go back to GP but really don't know if theres any alternative.

Any one any ideas?

If you've been advised to take it hun I wouldnt not give it. But there is no reason why she has to be on medication all the time. I have 3 asthmatics here (daughters 13 & 9 & son 2 1/2) and they only have medication when they really need it but preventing attacks with steroid inhalers are so much better than feeling the way asthma makes you feel :( (I'm asthmatic)

There are certain times of the year I find the worst and it issnt just winter months, June & september & march are the worst months in our house.

My little boy also has chronic lung disease and is doing really well with no meds 98% of the time :) so dont be disheartened by it all.

Good luck..xx

My son is normally bad September to November whne he needs 2 puffs 2x a day of seretide and rest of time he only need 1-2 puffs a day as maintenance sometimes even every other day.

DD was started on Qvar 2 puffs 2x a day, reviewed after 5 days, told to drop to 1 puff 2 x day, but within a couple of weeks she was coughing @ night, and in a morning and when she was running about. Upped dose back uo, but stilll coughhed night & morning, so went back to GP who told us 2, 4x a day for a week, then drop to 2x a day. Not working so will have to go back.

I'm sure it is safe, just worry about steroids, hopefully it will settle soon.

Asthma sucks doesn't it. My DS has been in hospital with it twice, just hope youngest doesn't suffer, but I think she will too.

What realy annoys me, is that when I was pg I did everything by the book, ate what I was supposed to, avoided what they tell you to. Don't smoke/ drink.
Breast fed upto 10 months ( still going @ 15 months with youngest).

They get home cooked meals, I keep all artificial colours, E's & ready meals to a minimum, yet my lo's suffer.

Then there's those that do the opposite & have really healtly kids.

I think what else can I possibly do for them.

:( ah hun you did nothing at all, personally I think its genetic; its certainly not somethingyou done though :hugs:

I done all by the book too and yet all my kids were preterm, 3 at 35 weeks, 1 at 31 weeks and 1 at 28 weeks and I really beat myself up about it when in truth my body has screwed up and let me down whereas there can be some people who wont look after thmselves, drink and smoke and generally not give a shit aand they can have fullterm healthy babies :cry:

totally know where you're coming from hun :hugs:

I think its genetic definatly, i've had asthma since i was born although its under control now i was very ill as a toddler and young child, i think the best thing you can do is follow doc's advice. I lost my mum 16years ago because of this stupid disease i think some people that have had no contact with it don't realise how serious it can be. It sounds like you did your best.:hug: Steroids aren't ideal but if they keep at bay then maybe it is for the best x

Your right Kaci, unless you deal with Asthma, ppl don't realise how bad it can be.

Wll we'll be back @ Drs tomorrow telling him we can't drop the dose, down, she only had 2 days on 3 x a day, and she had to have ventolin during noght first thing this morning, and all the time shes playing today shes been coughing like a trooper, and @ the point where I can't give her any more ventolin:cry:

Last we went tho he scared me to death. He suddenly looked really worried, went OMG she's got a heart murmur, then went, no its ok its just the way she was breathing :dohh:

Really hope he doesn't do that again.

Does anyone know if theres an asthma association/society?

I think asthma UK is the main one x

I will try and see if they have a website.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->