Tongue tie cutting

Cupcake9596

Reaction score
DD is scheduled to have her procedure on Thursday involving her being given general anaesthetic and cutting her tongue tie with a laser. I know this is not the usual way for this procedure to be done but does anyone have any experience and can shed a light on how their child was afterwards?

I can't help but am very interested in answers also!
Will mention DD tongue tie tomorrow at her 6 months check up and i want it cut asap (as i've heard the younger the child the better)

My LO is 3 weeks old today. She had tongue AND lip ties. We got hers lasered when she was a week and a half. They swaddled her, put numbing cream on the areas and it was done in less than ten minutes. I wasn't in the room once she was swaddled bc I wasn't allowed but she barely made a peep. And the moment they finished with the tongue she was sticking it out and moving it all around bc she never could before. I put her to the breast within five minutes of it being done and we've been fine ever since. She nurses normally now, we never even needed pain meds for her. And she's finally gaining weight, slowly, but gaining! And she wasn't before. She's only 3 weeks but it made all the difference for us.

Edit to add: is there a reason they are doing anesthesia for your LO? It seems pretty overkill. I had lip tie and had it lasered around age 14 and it was so quick and relatively painless. I still remember it. Just curious. :flower:

I can't help but am very interested in answers also!
Will mention DD tongue tie tomorrow at her 6 months check up and i want it cut asap (as i've heard the younger the child the better)

Yes definitely the younger the better! We wish we'd asked to have it snipped when she was a newborn and save going through it now!

No advice as my lo had his cut at 3 weeks he had his snipped tho no anaesthetic he was fine after tho he cried for a few seconds x

My LO is 3 weeks old today. She had tongue AND lip ties. We got hers lasered when she was a week and a half. They swaddled her, put numbing cream on the areas and it was done in less than ten minutes. I wasn't in the room once she was swaddled bc I wasn't allowed but she barely made a peep. And the moment they finished with the tongue she was sticking it out and moving it all around bc she never could before. I put her to the breast within five minutes of it being done and we've been fine ever since. She nurses normally now, we never even needed pain meds for her. And she's finally gaining weight, slowly, but gaining! And she wasn't before. She's only 3 weeks but it made all the difference for us.

Edit to add: is there a reason they are doing anesthesia for your LO? It seems pretty overkill. I had lip tie and had it lasered around age 14 and it was so quick and relatively painless. I still remember it. Just curious. :flower:

We first had a consultation to cut it when she was around 5 months? (Now 14 months) and according to the surgeon, there was too much of a risk of it bleeding out so had to wait until she was over a year so they could laser it. I'm guessing it's to stop them wriggling around and potentially causing more damage when a laser is involved? We are in Scotland so I'm not sure if procedures vary from place to place :flower:

It's been a long time coming! We had constant feeding battles due to poor latch (which isn't such a problem anymore) but it's becoming evident that it's beginning to affect her speech at such a young age x

DD had hers snipped at 5 weeks so don't know about the laser and GA but it healed very quickly and she was instantly moving her tongue and hasn't really stopped! Feeding was instantly improved and she started making more different noises although not sure if that was a coincidence because of her age

Well I mentioned it st DDs check up this morning but my doctor told me they don't cut it unless it's causing problems. So feeding problems or speech.
She did have feeding problems as new born but instead of digging deeper as to why she wasn't latching we switched to bottles so there's no problem now (biggest regret that i didn't think to have her checked after birth :( )
So i guess i have to hope she won't have speech issues, if she does then it'll be cut then. So i'll likely be in the same boat in a couple of months...

We first had a consultation to cut it when she was around 5 months? (Now 14 months) and according to the surgeon, there was too much of a risk of it bleeding out so had to wait until she was over a year so they could laser it. I'm guessing it's to stop them wriggling around and potentially causing more damage when a laser is involved? We are in Scotland so I'm not sure if procedures vary from place to place :flower:

It's been a long time coming! We had constant feeding battles due to poor latch (which isn't such a problem anymore) but it's becoming evident that it's beginning to affect her speech at such a young age x

Oh ok! I wasn't sure your LOs age. I can see it being needed just so it's not as traumatic too. Good luck to you guys! It's more painful for us mamas than it is them I think. :D I definitely cried more than my daughter did.

My little boy had his tongue tie cut when he was 3 months old. He cried for a few minutes and then he was okay. We gave some calpol later on as it seemed to be a bit uncomfortable for him for a few hours but he was fine the next day :)

Well I mentioned it st DDs check up this morning but my doctor told me they don't cut it unless it's causing problems. So feeding problems or speech.
She did have feeding problems as new born but instead of digging deeper as to why she wasn't latching we switched to bottles so there's no problem now (biggest regret that i didn't think to have her checked after birth :( )
So i guess i have to hope she won't have speech issues, if she does then it'll be cut then. So i'll likely be in the same boat in a couple of months...

Are you in the UK or US? DD was bottlefed and unfortunately there were still huge issues with latch - even now she still dribbles like crazy when she takes a drink! I would push for a second opinion to have your LO referred to have it cut sooner rather than later :flower:

Are you in the UK or US? DD was bottlefed and unfortunately there were still huge issues with latch - even now she still dribbles like crazy when she takes a drink! I would push for a second opinion to have your LO referred to have it cut sooner rather than later :flower:

Neither, i'm from germany.
With the bottles (we use mam) she doesn't have any problem so it might not be as severe..

But you're right i will get a second opinion as even if she won't have speech issues i feel sad for her for simply not being able to stick out her tongue. As weird as that may sound but isn't that just one fun part of childhood? :rofl:

Just a wee update...

She had her procedure done just after 9, it took around 30 mins from start to finish and we were allowed to leave by 11.45. She's done amazingly - you wouldn't think she'd had anything done! She doesn't appear to be in pain and has been eating and drinking normally :flower:

Glad to hear your DD seems to bouncing right back from the procedure :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->