toothache and paracetamol

daisydoo

Mummy to Oliver & Amelia
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've had this recurrig toothache for a few months now. Went to the dentist when i was about 12w preg. and he said my gums are just irritated cos of preg hormones and gave me some mouthwash. He said he never likes to perform dental treatment on pregnant women unless absolutely necessary. I find as long as I dont chew at all on that side im fine, but if I do i'm up all night with toothache - Ive now located which tooth it is and it's one thats been filled lots so I think it needs to come out (and believe me, if i has had some pliers to hand in the night last night when i was in agony with it, i would have done it myself)
Anyway, in th night last night i took 2 paracetamol and managed to sleep and by this morning it's gone away again. I then worried myself all night that i shouldn't have taken them - i know they say you can but i can't help but wonder how my babies tiny body can process them without them doing damage?
If you were me, would you just keep trying not to chew on that side and hence no pain and if i do get the odd bad night (they come like, once a fortnight) take the odd 2 paracetamol rather than risk potentially risky dental treatment since there's only about 15 weeks more to wait....? or would you go get said tooth whipped out? also, if anyone can explain why paracetamol is considered safe i would love to know.
sorry it's so long everyone, hope someone can help xxxx

Paracetamol has probably been tested, that's how they determine what you can/cannot do with meds. But I'm no expert!

However, I don't think painkillers are the answer in this case. The pain has gotten worse and pain means your body is sending warning signals! You don't want to risk an infection, they can get pretty bad (and horribly painful) in the last days of your pregnancy or your first weeks as a mum!

I would go back to the dentist (maybe another one) and explain the situation to him. He will probably know what to do.

yeah i would go back, it seems everyone has different expereinces with what dentist will and wont do when your pregnant but i do know that if you were to get an infection than that would potentially be extermely danaging to you AND baby. thats why your supposed to visit your dentsit when your pregnant and also why its free! its because pregnant women are more prone and also because it can be fatel to babies (in worse case)

I am not trying to frighten you and i am sure there is no ifection but if there is a problem with the tooth the dentsit missed and it does go untreated then there is also a risk.

good luck honey!

I took paracatemol on more than one occasion while pregnant with Morgan, as I was on prescribed meds for migraines before conception. Doctor assured me tha paracetemol was the only safe thing to take!! X

Paracetamol is fine hun. My GP said that because you pee it out its fine so is co-codamol in small doses again because of the way it leaves your system.

:hug:

Paracetamol is fine hun. My GP said that because you pee it out its fine so is co-codamol in small doses again because of the way it leaves your system.

:hug:

Paracetamol's fine, but I would try and get the dentist to check you over again, just in case it's actually got worse. You don't want it to be an absess or something that could burst and get into your bloodstream (worse case scenario obviously, not trying to worry you unnecessarily).

oh yeah, as for paracetamol its fine, spoke to pharmasit and doctors and all say its fine, amd has a short half life (amount of time it takes to get out of your system) as long as you dont take too much of course.

thanks for all your answers! i've called the dentist and made an appointment for tomorrow morning! thanks you've all made me do it xx (im a total wimp when it comes to dentists!!! )

paracetamol is ok i was perscribed it in my 1st pregnancy for other things, i think you need to go bk to the dentist there is nothing worse than toothache and like sumone said if u got a infection in it, i have had toothache for days now although it comes and goes im gonna go and get it out i cnt stand the pain for another 21 weeks x

paracetamol is ok i was perscribed it in my 1st pregnancy for other things, i think you need to go bk to the dentist there is nothing worse than toothache and like sumone said if u got a infection in it, i have had toothache for days now although it comes and goes im gonna go and get it out i cnt stand the pain for another 21 weeks x

good luck hun let us know how you get on xx

I've had similar recently. I am currently taking antibiotics prescribed by my dentist. He knew I was pregnant and said that it is safe but had I been less than 14 weeks, he wouldn't have prescribed them. So maybe it was because you were 12 weeks? He also said that they didn't like to do abstractions on pregnant women unless absolutely necessary, hopefully its just an infection, which he/she can treat.

daisydoo OMG we must be twins, I have had toothache for the past few days and had trouble sleeping last night, took 3 paracetamols yesterday. Had an appt with my dentist today and same as you its a tooth that had fillings etc 6 years ago thats giving me this pain. Well dentist says he will have to take it out and the anaesthetic won't affect my baby so getting it done next week. He has given me antibiotics to take till then.

Hope your dentist will be able to help you.

Dont worry hun, they are fine to take. I went to the docs yesterday with a cold as I was unsure what to take and he said to just take parecetamol.
But me being a thinko took 2 co-codamol instead, So I had to phone my midwife!!
Both are fine to take in pregnancy hun!! Dont worry! :hugs: xxx

daisydoo OMG we must be twins, I have had toothache for the past few days and had trouble sleeping last night, took 3 paracetamols yesterday. Had an appt with my dentist today and same as you its a tooth that had fillings etc 6 years ago thats giving me this pain. Well dentist says he will have to take it out and the anaesthetic won't affect my baby so getting it done next week. He has given me antibiotics to take till then.

Hope your dentist will be able to help you.

ah thanks hun, im going in the morning so will let you know what mine says. good luck with the extraction xxxxxxxx

I had this and I too was worried about dental treatment and also worried about using paracetamol. Midwife said paracetamol is absoloutely safe and not to worry about it. I had to go to get a filling which I did because I read the second tri is the best time for dental treatment and the dentist used a special anaesthetic and also a special filling. I am a wimp too lol but it really didn't hurt and I felt all silly after for making a fuss. xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->