Top Things NOT to say to a Pregnant Woman/Tiny Weight Rant!

Sweetpea7830

Reaction score
Throughout my first 14 weeks I barely gained...probably 1 or 2 lbs total. Dr said it's not an issue, I'd make up for it when I got hungrier...and I have finally gotten an appetite! In the past 4 weeks I am always hungry! I tend to eat lots of little meals to try to keep my stomach from growling.

When I say hungry, I mean full-on growling, not just "I feel like eating" kind of hungry. ;)

Meanwhile, if my mom tells me one more time I don't need to gain "too much weight" and "I'll never lose it" and the whole "you weren't that small to begin with" type of advice I am going to go nuts. She is not super skinny, and is overweight...and yes, I am probably medium build so I don't need to gain 40 lbs with pregnancy - but I am no where near there!!

In honor of this tiny rant and needing to vent, here is my beginning of a top list of things not to say to a pregnant woman:
- "Are you sure you're not having twins/triplets?"
- "Are you sure you're only X weeks?"
- "You'll never lose the weight."
- "You shouldn't gain much weight."
- "I can't wait to see how big your butt gets, it was already big to begin with."
- "I'm worried I'll never get to see the baby, maybe I should just kidnap it from the hospital."
- "Why can't you {insert thing you used to do before you were pregnant but can't do now due to dr advice or just not feeling well enough!} - I think you will be fine. Your {insert person here} is going to be so disappointed."
- "It's not that hot out here."

Any more you'd add? :)

me: "gosh my bumps really grown!"

anyone else: "i think you look the same as you always did!"

i think you have none it justice!!! :rofl:

oh...one more.....

"You look like you have gained weight....did you have a big breakfast?!?!" :grr: This is suppose to be a funny joke....please do not joke with me about my weight....I am a women after all!!

:hugs:

- "I'm worried I'll never get to see the baby, maybe I should just kidnap it from the hospital."

Ok...we clearly have the EXACT same mother. Nice to finally meet my long lost sister!!

I get SO upset when my mother says this. She even acts out standing at the foot of the birthing bed and catching the baby and running away. I HATE IT

me: "gosh my bumps really grown!"

anyone else: "i think you look the same as you always did!"

HAHAH....I get this one too...and it totally pisses me off.

I also get:

me:.......blah blah...and then I'll take my maternity leave...

someone else: WHAT?? You're PREGNANT??? OMG...I had NO idea...

me: Excuse me...am I always this fat????

A couple i have had in the past.

"your ankles look really swollen" Well yeah!!!

"your carrying it all on the back arnt you" and what is that supposed to mean?!?

"you look rough today" thanks, really needed that comment.

My sister is bigger than me and told me she HOPES i put 5 stone on then started laughing b*tch!! I know she was joking really..... or was she :rofl:

My sister is also pregnant, but 2 weeks ahead of me. She has only put on 5lbs in total and at 26 weeks barely looks pregnant. If my Mum tells me one more time I look huge compared to her and must be having a massive baby I will scream!

For those who read my journal, got a good one from my coach the other day, although not so much to do with weight, I still hated it:
Him: "you're growing nicely"
Me: "my bump? Do you notice? :D"
Him: "no, your bbs!!! You're finally becoming a woman!"...!?!?!? WT..!!??! 'cause I was, what, an alien, before!??!
:hissy:

Mine so far have been -

- So how much weight have you put on so far? - i get asked this alot!!
- You're getting fat
- You can really see youve put on weight in your face!!

People seem to think they can comment on your weight when your pregnant!! I thinks its damn right rude :grr:

I had a great one from DH this morning. I was just saying that I didn't think that my bump was showing at all and that eventually, come the end of the 40 weeks, it would start from just under my boobs 'like this', at which point I pulled my t-shirt tight around myself in an attempt to demonstrate. His comment was 'you look like you've got a beer belly'. Thanks for that! And then he had the cheek to say 'you're going to be a nightmare in the last 8 weeks.' Meaning what exactly?!

i love this thread lol

i've had....
"omg your massive how many weeks are you?"
"be careful you don't eat too much fat its hard to lose it all after"
"don't sit cross legged you'll get vaicose veins"
"i don't like that name i knew a kid that was horrid named that"
"your pregnant not ill" lol
mil "don't breast feed i want to have a go at feeding him too"

There are no words for how awful this is!

My addition to the list:

"It REALLY hurts!" on repeat - a "friend" trying to tell me to give up on wanting a natural birth. Nice. Thanks for that.

And another young woman I know, who has no experience of pregnancy or childbirth drunkenly ranting, right next to me, about how men should respect women's ability to give birth. Now I don't disagree on any particular point she made, except that she was going into very graphic detail about the process - as far as she knows anyway - everyone in the room was begging her to shut up and she seemed completely ignorant of the fact that there was a pregnant woman sat right next to her becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the conversation!

ive had

person puts hand on my bump- "so is that all baby?" ---the effing cheek of it!!!
"you dont need another piece of cake it will be hard enough to lose the weight after the birth as it is"
"wheres your bump soph?"- im not always this big you know!!!

xxxxxx

My SIL keeps going on about "oh, we really thought it was a girl, seeing as you've put on weight around your face..."

Aaaaarrrgh!!!! SHUT UP!!!!!!!:hissy: I know I've put on flippin' weight!

Say it again, go on, I dare ya!:grr:

Ok...we clearly have the EXACT same mother. Nice to finally meet my long lost sister!!

I get SO upset when my mother says this. She even acts out standing at the foot of the birthing bed and catching the baby and running away. I HATE IT

Oh my goodness, it's nice to finally meet you! That sounds just like my mom! I actually had to say to her something like "Wow, that's a really brave thing to say to a pregnant woman! You know how we are, we get so protective I might just tell you the wrong hospital."

THAT took care of that one. :shrug:

My SIL keeps going on about "oh, we really thought it was a girl, seeing as you've put on weight around your face..."

Aaaaarrrgh!!!! SHUT UP!!!!!!!:hissy: I know I've put on flippin' weight!

Say it again, go on, I dare ya!:grr:

Ha! This made me laugh so hard!! I love the little smiley with the viking hat and club.

ive had

person puts hand on my bump- "so is that all baby?" ---the effing cheek of it!!!
"you dont need another piece of cake it will be hard enough to lose the weight after the birth as it is"
"wheres your bump soph?"- im not always this big you know!!!

xxxxxx

Oh my goodness, the 2nd one (food related) is what I get from my mom all the time. :) No one else has had the stones yet to try that one with me! :devil:

I had a great one from DH this morning. I was just saying that I didn't think that my bump was showing at all and that eventually, come the end of the 40 weeks, it would start from just under my boobs 'like this', at which point I pulled my t-shirt tight around myself in an attempt to demonstrate. His comment was 'you look like you've got a beer belly'. Thanks for that! And then he had the cheek to say 'you're going to be a nightmare in the last 8 weeks.' Meaning what exactly?!

OMG! My hubby said something similar the other day - "Ha! Now I can tell everyone you finally have a beer belly to match mine." :hissy:

i love this thread lol

i've had....
"omg your massive how many weeks are you?"
"be careful you don't eat too much fat its hard to lose it all after"
"don't sit cross legged you'll get vaicose veins"
"i don't like that name i knew a kid that was horrid named that"
"your pregnant not ill" lol

Oh my goodness! You have some good ones in there. The one about the kid's name is the whole reason we aren't telling ANYONE the name until the baby is born and named! We don't want to hear about this or that kid that was named that or what name would be better. My mom started down that path the other day talking about what names would be best for a boy or girl. I stopped her and said, we've already picked the names and we aren't telling! Ha! :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->