Toys that hold interest?

twinklestar25

Reaction score
I've found with my kids they seem to play with new toys for a few days/ couple of weeks and then don't bother with it. I'm not sure if they just loose interest or if it's because there's too much stuff on hand. I've tried to scale it down in the living room and put some upstairs, it's quite a task trying to keep bits to each toy together as well like the hot wheel sets etc end up with bits of track and cars here there an everywhere but I have brought plastic boxes to try and keep things together on which is working ok at the moment.

I just don't know what to do with buying more toys tho when they don't seem to play with what they have much. There 5 and 2 so still little, thy tend to enjoy things that ive set up more and messy play/arts crafts etc there at a difficult age at the moment where my 5yrbold will make a model with Lego or blocks and my 2yr old knocks it down! so that's frustrating for my older one. they do play nicely together at other times and will play with the farm/train set if I pull it out/set it up so maybe it's a case of directing them more... Anyone else the same?

I've been struggling to decide what to get my daughter this year mainly for this reason. She doesn't play with anything properly, nothing holds her interest for long enough!! I hate it.

If you've got Lego, maybe consider making a Lego table? We've just build one for Joel so that any Lego structures will be too high up for LO2 to reach. We made ours by putting smaller units from IKEA together complete with a high junior chair - I can take a photo tomorrow if you're interested :)

My kids are 5 and 2 as well. They have similar intrest, they both like cars, I bought them a train table a few years back that they still love to play with.. They love coloring together as well.

My 5 and 2 (on the 20th) year old boy love action figures and imaginext superheroes. The little one is able to join in with the play each having a few figures and swapping them when they want and making their own figures fight or climb the buildings and stuff at the same time

I struggle with my older son finding toys that get his interest, he is autistic and doesn't really do any imaginative play. He gets really excited about new toys then after about a day never looks at them again. He really only likes books, DVDs or Leappad/Ipad games. It is frustrating.

I haven't found much of a way round it, I have tried encouraging him with jigsaws and Playmobil with minimal success.

My youngest is also autistic but loves vehicle toys so it is much, much easier. He has limited imaginary play but more than my eldest. A big success with him as been his wooden railway, he likes connecting as many trains as possible to make a line. It is good because he can put the track together himself and it is always possible to add to it to keep the interest. For example for Christmas he is having an exploding tunnel, you put the dynamite in and the sides explode off :haha: I will be a little bit hard for him to do by himself so I hope my older son will help him with it as he loves things that go bang. It will encourage them to play together.

My 5 year old is into lego in a big way (would love to see that lego table) and also action figures. He recently got the new Tracy Island and Thunderbird vehicles for his birthday, which have also been a big hit with him, and his 2.5 year old little sister. Her favourite would have to be her Playmobil 123 collection. They both enjoy play doh and their play kitchen. Other than that, I'd agree, they do tend to lose interest in things pretty quickly.

If you've got Lego, maybe consider making a Lego table? We've just build one for Joel so that any Lego structures will be too high up for LO2 to reach. We made ours by putting smaller units from IKEA together complete with a high junior chair - I can take a photo tomorrow if you're interested :)
Id love to see this please x

Here ya go ladies :thumbup:

For this I bought:
2x Trofast frames (£20 each),
Kallax 4x4 bookcase (£20),
Linnmon tabletop 100cm x 60cm (£5.90)
Urban Junior Chair (£30),
x2 adjustable Olov table legs (£10 each) (the legs have to be roughly around 77cms high for the table top to be level with the Kallax unit - holes already pre-drilled into the table top),
x2 Trofast Orange Storage Boxes (£3 each)
x4 Trofast Green Storage Boxes (£1.50)
x4 Trofast Yellow Storage Boxes (£1.50)

I then colour co-ordinated the blocks into takeaway boxes that I got from Poundland, leaving one for mini-figures and accessories. The yellow Lego storage tub is our 'sort box' (so if you're looking for a specific piece, tip a colour into the box and it's easier to find).

I don't live near an Ikea so I tried finding units that would qualify for the Parcelforce postage cost, rather than the £35 Ikea delivery for larger items. Took a lot of jiggling, but this would cost you £7.50 to have it delivered.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(3).jpg
    FullSizeRender(3).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 24
  • FullSizeRender(4).jpg
    FullSizeRender(4).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 20
These are my boys Lego tables. Cost roughly £50 counting table, Lego boards and glue. My actually only made DS2 his at weekend. For DS1 tho best money ever spent, he is making a new theme hence why the boards are empty at the minute :haha:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79