Transition from the office to WAHM, then back?

nmpjcp2015

Raising Baby Sam :)
Reaction score
So I'm getting started in a new career, and I've got a great job. I live in the U.S. and am entitled to 12 weeks maternity leave which I plan to take ALL of, but I won't be getting paid for the last 4 weeks.

OK, so here's the complicated part. My office is small and we all do individualized jobs, my boss approached me today with a part time position doing the same job I do now, but less hours per week at a possibly higher hourly rate (so it may equal out to almost the same pay). I think my boss is trying to have me gone from work for less time to keep us fully staffed.

She says that the job will be for when I leave for maternity leave in October until the start of the next fiscal year (July 2016) and will be 30 hours per week at home. If I want, I can then go back to full time. It sounds really great, but I don't want to fully sacrifice my career because I'm afraid that I won't get the same momentum and job back if I leave and work at home. I do get to keep my full insurance and retirement benefits and there are other jobs I can do from home to make up the money. I'm mostly just concerned about my career momentum and ability to move up.

So to sum it all up
Pros:
-work from home
-can keep my own child (my MIL was doing it for free, but it's less hassle and more quality time with the baby)
-other things for income (I'm also a dental hygienist, so I can temp)
-more family time
-can go back to working sooner from home and won't miss a month's salary

Cons:
-will I really get my job back?
-pay cut
-loss of momentum (out of sight, out of mind?)

Sorry this was so long. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I'd take it if I were you. Being from the US and only being offered the 12 weeks unpaid is something I am really struggling with too, and this option would be perfect for me.

Then again maybe I'd just be really eager to do it because I desperately hate my job.

Can I clarify if you mean you will be expected to work 30 hours a week throughout your maternity leave, like from when baby is born? Also, can you work whatever hours you like, i.e. evenings?

I meant that I could take a shorter maternity leave, i.e. 6-8 weeks instead of 12 then go back to work sooner, but from home.

And the hours are flexible because it's mostly computer based and editing work, but I'd work mostly during the day anyway so I could be done when DH and my SD get home.

I'll clarify also that it's UP TO 30 hours. When I asked, I was told it depended on demand, so I could be working varying hours from 15-30.

I would take the lesser hours in that case. I was unsure if you meant you had to work with a new born. The one thing I will say is you will probably want to take steps to get assistance like a cleaner! You'll end u working while baby naps. I officially work 3 days a week in the office, but due to the nature of my role I have to work while DD naps on my 'days off'. This doesn't allow any time for housework!
I don't think anyone will ever regret the time they spend with their children, and they are only little once. If you have a one off opportunity to work part time I would take it :flower:

ETA - I've also been promoted since going back part-time, so just because you do less hours it doesn't mean you will always get overstepped, if anything if you achieve as much as others in less time it just makes you look more efficient ;)

I would definitely do it, the extra time with LO would a million times outweigh any risk of losing momentum career-wise :flow: that's just me though xx

Id also definitely do it nmpjcp - I worked from home for a bit and it was great. I think you'll be happy with the possibility of fewer hours once baby comes, you'll be so swamped and just want to enjiy your time with them. But this gives you the flexibility to keep a job and woek from home. I think it sounds perfect.l BUT, If possibke I'd still take as long of maternity leave as you can, before going back! :)

Thanks for the feedback guys... I have to decide by today, so I'll update after I talk to with my boss and my husband.

I decided to take the position! Yay for working from home.. hopefully it'll make the whole process easier for all of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->