Trying for #2 with chronic hypertension?

sevenofnine

Reaction score
Hi there!

My daughter turns 2 in a week and my husband and I are thinking about trying for #2.

I always had perfect blood pressure before getting pregnant with #1, but then developed pre-eclampsia during labor at 40+4, and since then, I've been hypertensive.

I am not on any medications, because as long as I exercise and eat right, my pressure stays at or below 120/80. But if I don't do that, then I can get readings as high as 135/85-88.

I have a pre-conception appointment in a couple weeks. Is there anything I should know to ask? I just want to make sure I'm healthy to try again. I know there's a chance I could get pre-eclampsia again, and I hate that.

Hi, I was the same as you fine blood pressure until 34 weeks was induced at 38+6 because of pre e. I was kept in hospital for 9 days after as they couldn't get it under control. I have been on a low dose of BP meds since my daughter. I'm now 24 weeks tomorrow all is going well so far I'm having growth scans and seeing the consultant they are happy so far they have actually reduced my medication twice. I didn't have a pre conception appointment so can't help you there. But good luck for if you do decide to go ahead xx

Hi, I was the same as you fine blood pressure until 34 weeks was induced at 38+6 because of pre e. I was kept in hospital for 9 days after as they couldn't get it under control. I have been on a low dose of BP meds since my daughter. I'm now 24 weeks tomorrow all is going well so far I'm having growth scans and seeing the consultant they are happy so far they have actually reduced my medication twice. I didn't have a pre conception appointment so can't help you there. But good luck for if you do decide to go ahead xx

Thanks! I guess I just wanted a pre-conception visit to see if they wanted to start me on medication before I got pregnant. I think it would be hard to figure out a dosage, considering it is controlled with diet and exercise right now.

Thanks for your insight, I hope pre-e stays away for you!!

:thumbup:

I had a pre conception appointment. I'm sure you'll have had yours now but what they did at mine was check my blood pressure and change my meds. They also took an underlying blood report so they knew what was normal for non-pregnant me. They might not put you on meds but might get a base position so they understand any changes.

The problem (apparently) is that blood pressure is artificially lower in pregnancy so that's why reading a of 140/90 are alarming as the true none pregnant reading could be 160/100 that's according to my obgyn anyway!!!!

Good luck x

Baby aspirin one a day can help a small number of women, but those it does help it helps massively. As you developed pre-e so late your chance of recurrence is very low even with chronic hypertension. I'm on my phone right now so don't have a link but there is also a study out there on a large group of women and those who took a daily multivitamin for 3 months or more prior to conception halved their risk of developing pre-e again compared to the control group.

Baby aspirin one a day can help a small number of women, but those it does help it helps massively. As you developed pre-e so late your chance of recurrence is very low even with chronic hypertension. I'm on my phone right now so don't have a link but there is also a study out there on a large group of women and those who took a daily multivitamin for 3 months or more prior to conception halved their risk of developing pre-e again compared to the control group.

When I had my appointment, my midwife did say that she recommends I would take low dose aspirin from 12 weeks onward, as well as start a multivitamin before we start trying, so I'm hoping I can help my chances!

We are going to start trying in July/August, so we'll see what happens then!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->