TTC 40 plus!! Lets share the ups and downs!

Hope you dont mind me crashing your thread ladies. My situation is a bit different, i am 39, i have three children of my own and have given birth to three surrogate babies last being three and ahalf years ago, i thought i was finished. Nope, i have a friend and her husband who are infertile due to her having had a kidney transplant, i would dearly love them to become a family so i have agreed to try and help them acieve this, we are having our first atempt this month, i am a bit nervous due to my age :(

Oh, and BTW, I am also from Scotland!! Must be something in the drinking water up here. Maybe it's a sinister attempt at population control or something lol !!!

Ha ha, well I live in Sussex and am originally from France, so that balances it out a bit!

bdwell1904, waouh, you might be our first bfp here. When do you plan on testing again? Surely you will find 5 mns to come and post here to keep us excited. Crossing fingers for you :hugs:

I don't officially meet the age standard at 40 - 5 months, but as we have fertility issues, it is likely to either take some time, or not happen without assisted help, so if that's okay, I find myself here more at home!

Background for me, I have two children, 7 and 10, and have been ttc with my new lovely OH since April 09. He will be 43 in 3 months and doesn't have children (did ttc before meeting me). Amazingly, I fell pg first month ttc, but unfortunately miscarried shortly afterwards. We ttc actively for 5 months, then decided to be investigated. All came back normal for me, even if slightly highish fsh at 9.7. We were referred and this is when we found out that OH spermies were not too bright! We decided to wait 3 months to redo a test since I had fallen pg before, and second test last month showed a good improvement, only morphology is on the low side. During that appt, I had a scan that showed antra-follicle count not optimal (but not desastrous), and a cyst on one ovary, maybe a Corpus Luteum as I'd just ovulated, but maybe an endometrioma. That leaves us very much in the grey area of fertility, it isn't impossible to get a bfp, but the odds are against us. We have decided to wait another 3 months for a third SA and scan on me before deciding what to do next, very much hoping for a bfp before. When we found out about the first SA results, we were both very keen to proceed with icsi. Since then, OH has started to become more and more negative, and I think that has rubbed off me because I too am feeling less and less keen, poor success rate because of age, costs because we are not elligible for NHS funding, the emotional strain, and my worry that I might become obsessed with it and don't want to give up after 1 try, 2 tries, 3...

So here I am with you girls if that's ok!

JustJack, that's wonderful, what an amazing thing to do to help a couple become parents. I have been told my all medical professional that the best thing on one side that balances against age is having been pregnant before, even if some times ago. You managed to be pregnant 3 times, so I'm sure even if it takes a bit longer this time, you will have no problems to fall pregnant.

Hi girls!
I am from Lanarkshire. I am the big four O in October and DH is nearly 55.
We have four kids and a mmc in Oct 09.
DH has MF issues but always has had, and I have high prolactin and now shortened cycles.
I am trying Agnus Castus, Vit B Complex this month and going to change to Soy if no joy!
Still waiting on blood results from RE four weeks ago, so seriously peed off atm! LOL!!!
Looking forward to chatting n seeing some lovely bfps with u all! <<hugs>>

HI Mummytofour, you guys have done will with MF! Do you mind my asking what the issue is? Is it count, motility of morphology (or a combination?). My OH last count and motility were fine, but morphology of 6%. I really struggle to find reliable evidence as to the true chances of pg with this morphology result. I know it can happen, but don't know how likely.

Hope you get your results soon, 4 weeks is a long time. Do you know where the blocage is?

Re. short cycles, I tend to ov early at cd10 which worries me a bit (although I oved at cd10 when I fell pg too), and found that AC really helps with this pushing ov to cd12 and even up to cd14 after taking it for a few months (but stoping after ov). VitB has also really helped with the LT that last up to 16 days with no spotting at all. Saying that, i wasn't taking it when I fell pg, and I used to spot around cd12 when I was trying with my boy, so this month, I decided to stop it and see what happened since taking it for 12 months didn't lead to a bfp anyway!

Thank you FBbaby:).

Hey Mummyto four, i am in Lanarkshire too , Wishaw, where are you ?.

I am aslo on Agnus Castus, vit b complex, vit b6, sanatagen pronatal, epo & omega 3, *phew* think i have everything covered, oh yes and i am also drinking shed loads of pink grapefruit juice :).

Hiya FB!
My DH had a VR and his count has always been 2 million which is seriously low aswell as morphology at 17%, but until I started having problems with my own stupid body, this obviously wasn't a problem!!! LOL! I was maybe a fertile Myrtle until now!!! Hahaha!!!
Can I ask....did the AC make you feel totally PMSy ALL the time or is it just me?!!! I am being a total witch to everyone atm!

I really hope the AC works, but not temping this month as trying to relax, HA!, so having to guess re ovulation!
My results are sitting at the docs and trying to get an app to discuss them is a bloody impossibilty! They won't even speak to you on the phone unless you book a telephone app!!!!Grrrrr!!!!
I did ask for a copy to be faxed to me, but still haven't heard back!!!

JustJack, I am near Biggar, so not too far from you! What you are doing is truly inspirational hunni!
OMG you must rattle when you walk with all that!!! LOL!!!

Isn't it great to know all us golden oldies are in it together?!!!
Does anyone else still feel 25 inside and look in the mirror every morning and think "who is that old bugger?"!!!!! LOL!

Ye know now that you mention the pmsy, i have been but i just put it down to stressing over it all, maybe it is that ?

Thanks Mummytofour for answering my question. That's amazing that you've managed so well to fall pg with only a count of 2mil! Did he have more than one test? You must indeed be incredibly fertile, just need to sort out that prolactin problem.

I don't tend to be too pmsy until just before AF, some months OH would hardly notice, some times, even I can tell I am being dramatic! I stopped temping too months ago as I know I ovulate each cycle. I am at times using the cbfm, but it's really only to give me a minimum sense of control because I always know exactly when I am going to get a peak as my ovaries start playing drums and I feel the vibrations without mistake!

So know what you mean about the age of our eggs not matching our age in our head. I am very lucky to look younger than my age, and I hear it all the time. I guess I took it for granted and founding out that my egg age is my pure calendar age if not older is disturbing.

Good luck making that appointment. Maybe a phone conversation might be the way forward though. I tried to get mine via the secretary, who had to speak with doc first but was then still too confused to read what was on the sheet. In the end, she got him to call me and that was much quicker!

Thanks FBbaby, yes we thank our lucky stars that we have such a large family with really no trouble atall.
He did have 2 samples tested. One after the VR in 1999 and another at the end of 2000 because we froze his semen prior to him having chemo. Not that it was needed thank god! It was donated to medical research!!! LOL!!!

I finally got a phone call from my GP today! Yay! Well, not so yay really coz even though my prolactin is still through the roof, apparently my day 21 prog test is okay which proves I ovulate.
I did point out that I have a 24 day cycle so the test is null n void but he will not prescribe clomid.
He basically said as I already have kids n I do ovulate, supposedly, and am over 37 that I can basically bugger off!!!

He made a big point about me already having a big family so why would he bother to help for yet another!!arrrgh! What the he'll has it got to do with anyone how many kids any of us have?!!! I never ever ask for help from anyone either emotionally or financially for my kids, they are happy n healthy so what is his sodding problem?!!!!
Sorry rant over!!! Just needed to vent my anger!!!!

Hope everyone else is doing better than me today? Hey girls?

HI Nise
seen you on other threads! note about thyroid- i was convinced i had underactive thyroiud- my mum has the condition and i have all the symptoms. been checked tqoce now and they say its normal but i have read that it doesn't always show up in tests so i am taking kelp to help balance things. aparently you should get the t3 and t4 tested not just the thyroid function as it can be borderline for years and not show- it still worries me but dc now thinks i am a nut!!

Ive just recently heard this too Glitter, they suggest that alot of early mcs are due to thyroid conditions, I was telling them mine was tested as was within the limits, she informed me that within the limits may not be truly fine when it comes to your thyroid and it has to be put in perspective with everything that is going on, interesting! Another interesting fact is that my Aunt had her thyroid removed and had to end up adopting, my sister also has a thyroid condition, and this type of thing is suppose to run in the family.

Oh yeah older person here too, 42 in August, 4 mcs, hoping the smudge within holds on tight this time!! Im cheering for you ladies!!:hugs:

Hi ladies,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm 40, have 2 grown up is, eldest is 21, youngest is 19. They share a flat and work together!! wonders will never cease!! lol.

I had my beautiful daughter in june last year, but sadly through midwifery negligence she was born sleeping at 38+3 weeks.

Katie was a surprise baby, but so much wanted. We are trying again as we still have all this love to give. I did become pregnant again but had a mmc 10 weeks ago, I was 9+4 weeks preg. Not had af since but my hcg levels are falling and at the last count where 13, so hopefully by next week my cycle will return and we can get dtd!!

Its lovely to be part of a group of "older" mums and ttc'ers

Hopefully we can help each other through this merry-go-round of emotions

Take care

xmagsx :hugs:

17 days DPO (allegedly) but a BFN this morning...

Made an appointment at the doctors for next week to get tests and stuff.

:hi: everyone

Im 39 dh is 41 were ttc our first. Done all the fertility testing. Dh has low sperm count, so in august he is going to see a urlologist to see what he can do.

I have a small fibriod in my uterus. They werent really to concerned with it. They want to get my dh tested/exam first and go on from there.

In the meantime :sex:

hi, well I'm almost 40 OH 48 and we have been TTC since January, I have two boys 18 and 16 and OH boy 20 girl 19 from our previous marriages.

we didnt think we would be lucky enough but after 5 cycles we have our first :bfp: last nite and this morning and are still in shock! he had a sperm test only this Tuesday and waiting for his results and i was starting bloods thisMonday!
Instead of discussing why we're not getting pregnant with GP Monday I now can tell her I'm pregnant, how a week can change!!!

Still early days but FXN!!! xx

hi, well I'm almost 40 OH 48 and we have been TTC since January, I have two boys 18 and 16 and OH boy 20 girl 19 from our previous marriages.

we didnt think we would be lucky enough but after 5 cycles we have our first :bfp: last nite and this morning and are still in shock! he had a sperm test only this Tuesday and waiting for his results and i was starting bloods thisMonday!
Instead of discussing why we're not getting pregnant with GP Monday I now can tell her I'm pregnant, how a week can change!!!

Still early days but FXN!!! xx

Congratulations :baby:

I wish mine went that route before/during our fertility testing process :hissy::coffee:

17 days DPO (allegedly) but a BFN this morning...

Made an appointment at the doctors for next week to get tests and stuff.

Good luck. Hope your appointment goes well and you get some answers. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->