TTC 40 plus!! Lets share the ups and downs!

hi girls, this is my story. I'm 41, actually nearer 42 now! It's took me a while to meet Mr. Right and we've only been together for 3 years. We're both really desperate to have a baby, neither of us have children. There's been a lot of hitches along the way as I suffer from depression so it's been such a roller-coaster trying to get off medication. Even though the anti-depressants are not officially known to be harmful in pregnancy I just didn't feel right being on medication and TTC. I've had 2 pregnancies, one at 39 (ended in miscarriage in 11th week), one at 40 (ended in miscarriage in 8th week). The first miscarriage I had seen the baby's heartbeat and they said it was just bleeding from the cervix, but later that week I lost the baby. The post-mortem showed a chromosomal disorder called triploidy, where there are 3 sets of chromosomes instead of 2. The main reason this happens is that 2 sperm get in to fertilise the egg instead of one. The first miscarriage was Dec 08, the second was Dec 09, so it has kind of put a damper on Christmas. Still I finally managed to wean off the anti-depressant in August and we've tried since then, no luck. We saw a private fertility consultant in November who gave me the doom and gloom statistics about my age and 60% of my eggs are abnormal.

I cried after the appointment however I picked myself up when I read in the Guardian that pregnancies in women over 40 have reached a record high in the UK this year - 12% of all pregnancies are born to girls over 40! The thing is we conceived really quickly before, it only took 2 cycles each time. For each pregnancy we used the Clearblue OPK and made sure we bd'd on the smiley face day. I realised that all this year we've only been bd'ing once in my fertile week, so the concept of "relax and don't think about it" clearly wasn't working for us. So this month I decided we would go back to our winning formula and we really went for it, with Clearblue OPK, Preseed and a wing and a prayer. I'm also walking every day on top of the usual yoga at home in the evenings. We both take Pregnacare Conception Vitamins and Omega-3. My OH, after a lot of nagging on my part, finally cut back on alcohol, he used to drink a bottle of wine a night! He's even quit wearing boxers and going commando down there, so hopefully the bracing winter weather will be kicking in down there! We've decided to only give it 3 more cycles before going for IVF, but it's only got a 21% success rate. I'm in the nail-biting 2ww now and we're praying for a Christmas bfp...I am sending all you 40s girls babydust for Christmas.

Eh, I took another test, it's a negative. I give up. My period was due yesterday. I think it wasn't meant to be. :(

Hi Ladie

I'm new to this forum, we have 2 little boys aged 6 and 8, and hubby had a vasectomy 6 years ago, and I'm just about to try for another with a sperm donor, I'm 43, and it really does take over your life constantly thinking "I may never get pregnant at this age"

So I'm up and down at the moment.

Will read back all the posts.

Glad I have found you all.

xx

Hi ladies,

just a quick update. Just had a chemical over the weekend but im ok about it. Have decided to take the 'glass is half full' approach so things will be fine. Means though, that i will have a bonking and boozing xmas :haha: Sounds good to me, lol!

Alway onwards and upwards and soon there's another years full off possibilities, yay!

All the best and :dust: to everyone!

Mwah, OMi xxx

Sorry Omi, it's still such an emotional let down. Been there. Hugs!

Still waiting for my period, a week late, but negative on the hpt. I can have my period already now. So annoying, I think the extra length of time, is making my breasts sore, lower back pain, etc. Not looking forward to AF, but she can stop taking her sweet time.

i am 44 on the 28th and really am not sure if i will be carrying on ttc but my oh keep saying just another 6 months but i have jsut had another early m/c # 11 in 14 months and all they keep saying is that it is egg quality and it will only take one good one and to keep trying but they just dont want to help us so i dont know what to do

Oh Omi im so sorry to read that..hope ur doin ok? I had one in august so i know how u feel..the way i looked at it was at least i knew i cud fall pregnant.

Big hugs to ya hunny xxxx

Hi All,
Haven't posted for a while. Sorry to hear about your chemical Omi but glad you're feeling positive. Inkdchick, I would keep going if I was in your position. You know you can conceive which is a big deal. Hang on in there for that good egg! :)
Well I'm on my second agnus castus cycle and I had GREAT CM this month! lol. Hoping the AC is balancing my hormones as I think I might be low in progesterone but I am self diagnosing so I could be wrong. I've also started taking Maca which is supposed to be good for egg quality so we'll see how we go. I feel very sure I'm not pg this month. Dunno why but gut instinct. I have the image of a pre-Xmas baby in my head so I reckon I've got til March!! :D

Hey guys, haven't been on here for a while. I am 45 in Jan, TTC our first, OH is 34. Been trying almost 2 years, both have had tests which are fine. Been suffering from anxiety and depression the past 4 months so baby making has been put on the back burner, which is making my depression worse. So catch 22, should we still go for it even though I am on anti depressants because if I wait til I am 'better', it will probably be too late!

Not sure what to tell you Heavenly, it's what you think you can handle, you know yourself the best.
Good luck Missy!
Inkchick, I agree with Missy, if you can handle the ups and downs, you are still cycling correctly it seems. I'd go for it.

I'm still waiting on AF. I was kind of giving up on the idea of trying anymore, then held my co-worker's newborn. Talk about biological clock alarms going off!!! LOL. She was beautiful! I laughed because the one time I talked to my co-workers belly about two weeks before she was born, I told her it was her auntie and I was going to take her shopping and buy her ponies. My co-worker said she liked that she just kicked. LOL.
When I was holding her, I told her I was her auntie, and let me know when we should go buy a pony for her, she gave a little smile, we all saw it. We know it was gas. :)
So though, not thinking it will happen, we're going to keep on trying, but without any tracking and worrying. Whatever will be will be. :)

Im 44 on 28th and i really dont know whats going on with me i was told that i had a very early m/c on the 6th dec and my period was quite heavy with lining loss but i havent felt myself since then and this morning i was sick straight after breakfast and i have felt weird all day and my tummy is bloated which it isnt around this time in the month which is in the middle now and ov should be about now i think , i just dont know if its possible to still be pregnant with maybe one and have possibly lost one. HELP

heavenly, what anti-depressant are you taking? I have been in the same boat so could chat to you about it, but I'm not sure if your medication is safe for pregnancy or not.

i am 44 on the 28th and really am not sure if i will be carrying on ttc but my oh keep saying just another 6 months but i have jsut had another early m/c # 11 in 14 months and all they keep saying is that it is egg quality and it will only take one good one and to keep trying but they just dont want to help us so i dont know what to do

Haven't been here for ages but wanted to pop in say that I've just reached the 2nd trimester after 5 consecutive chemicals. I'm 43 and like you felt like giving up many times- in fact this was going to be my last try. I had a similar response from the doc- its so frustrating isn't it? Good luck, I know you'll get there :hugs:

Oh my God Hellbaby, that's fantastic news. Congratulations!!! Any tips for us over-40s? I was thinking of maybe doing the bd morning instead of evenings, because my 39 year old friend got pregnant in the morning. If you don't mind me asking did you use opks, Preseed, special timing in your cycle at all? Good luck with your pregnancy, you are a legend!

Haven't been here for ages but wanted to pop in say that I've just reached the 2nd trimester after 5 consecutive chemicals. I'm 43 and like you felt like giving up many times- in fact this was going to be my last try. I had a similar response from the doc- its so frustrating isn't it? Good luck, I know you'll get there :hugs:

Aww hellbaby im soooo chuffed for u, that is wonderful news. Did u do anything different on that cycle?

Oh my God Hellbaby, that's fantastic news. Congratulations!!! Any tips for us over-40s? I was thinking of maybe doing the bd morning instead of evenings, because my 39 year old friend got pregnant in the morning. If you don't mind me asking did you use opks, Preseed, special timing in your cycle at all? Good luck with your pregnancy, you are a legend!

Thanks BBgirl, will have 2 under 2 at 44! I used opks and tried to time it so that I pounced on oh the day before my surge as well the next day. Saying that, I've never had trouble conceiving, it's just staying pregnant that was the problem. I took aspirin for the 1st 12 weeks, maybe that helped, who knows? Hope nobody minds me posting, I just wanted to offer some hope. xx

Aww hellbaby im soooo chuffed for u, that is wonderful news. Did u do anything different on that cycle?

Thanks Serendippy, see above reply! I was only stalking you the other day to see how you were getting on!

helbaby
not sure if you remember me from previous threads but just wanted to say congrats- its so good th hear sucess stories- well done x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->