TTC after birth control

mCharlie92

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm new here and just started ttc for #1. I stopped taking my birth control pill mid-pack. I know you're supposed to wait, but I was just excited. I stopped taking it April 22nd. I got my period, which lasted about a week, on April 26th, 4 days after stopping the pill. That was 32 days ago, making this the 33rd day of my cycle. Before starting the pill my periods were always about 22-24 days long. Well, I took a pregnancy test 10 days ago (I know it was a little bit early, once again I was excited) and it came up negative :(
I've heard about women going off of the pill and getting irregular cycles or even no periods at all. But I did get a period, 4 days after stopping my pill. It was heavy and lasted about a week so it wasn't just spotting or anything. Could I be pregnant? Or is this just my hormones trying to get back in order?

It's just your hormones getting back in order. If your BC is strong it can take a few months for your hormones to readjust. I took the depo brovera and it took about 3 months for my hormones to regulate.

I'll be stopping my pill June 12 so I can't tell you what will happen yet, but the period you had right after stopping was actually a "withdrawl bleed" from stopping the pill and not a true period. In an ideal world you would have then ovulated for the first time about 2 weeks later and then if not pregnant gotten your first "real" period 2 more weeks later. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Hopefully your body will sort itself out soon. You could always take another test too just to see! Good luck!

When I got pregnant with my first it was within weeks of no longer taking BC pills. I stopped mid pack as well. My husband could not believe how fast it happened lol

I had almost the exact same thing happen when I went off BC. The first month I was off, I had a normal period.... Then I think it might have been months before I got another one. And when they came they were irregular and unpredictable. During that time I had terrible hormone fluctuations, acne, occasional bloating. Overall it was just miserable. In fact, there was a thread somewhere on this forum back then full of women struggling with irregularity and problems TTC after BC.
After about 6 months of irregularity, my DH and I decided to TTC anyway - and I got pregnant with our DD almost immediately. And even that was weird because I had strange prolonged spotting when AF should have showed. I was at my OB, being told that the bleeding was just another irregular cycle, and that I probably had PCOS.... when the blood test came back positive :) So as you do TTC keep in mind things might be difficult to track and predict.
I was so surprised by how hard it was for my system to recover that we agreed just to use condoms after she was born and leave my hormones out of it lol.

It's just your hormones getting back in order. If your BC is strong it can take a few months for your hormones to readjust. I took the depo brovera and it took about 3 months for my hormones to regulate.

I was on depo and it took me about 8 months I think for my cycles to fully regulate back for themselves. Everyone is different but generally the consensus is that it takes a minimum of a few months to a year for your cycles to fully re regulate on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->