TTC and alcohol

S

sugarlove

Just wondering if people have given this up completely and if not how much do they still drink?

I'm trying to cut right down, but when I got AF, I went out and drink a bottle of wine and now feeling guilty that I'm affecting my fertility.

Since ttc this year, I've been pretty good most of the time, but every now and then I just seem to have a blow out. Sometimes it's due to the stress of ttc and other times it's just to chill out. I also quit smoking at the start of the year.

I always try to be good after O, but it's hard sometimes when you're gagging for a drink! :winkwink:

Keep reading about how booze is so bad when you're ttc. Just wondering what other people did?

SL

Nope, I haven't given up and I'm guilty of the odd bottle of wine. I've also read about how bad booze is while you're ttc but I work on the basis that thousands of women probably conceive whilst on hols or after a night out etc. Its bloody stressful ttc after a loss and you've already quit smoking so I wouldn't worry if I were you! I am trying to make more of an effort with my diet though and I have cut back on alcohol. Anyway, so long as you're reasonably healthy and not boozing loads I doubt its affecting your fertility xx Ps. having said that, I read that Zoe Ball conceived her 2nd baby within 6 wks of giving up alcohol and that was after 7 years of ttc!!!

I think it effects everyone differently really.
I still drink, but only on special occasions and i try to take it easy. I have had the odd btl of wine whilst ttc but other than having a few drinks last night for my bday, i am tryin to cut it out as i am also dieting and want to lose weight quickly and drink is empty cals. I also would not want to be drinking too much incase i was pg and never knew...

a few wnt hurt u tho ;-)

xxx

Well as soon as i found out i was pregnant with max, i didnt touch a drop, i never was or have been a big drinker, and even though im no longer pregnant i still dont touch a drop and neither does OH, but neither of us were big drinkers anyway x

I havent stopped drinking. I discussed with my doc and he said i should carry on as i did before ttc.

I haven't stopped either - my doc says the same thing. Certainly not getting plastered every night, but I have a few wines during the week and a few on the weekends as well. When i was on fertility treatment with my first 2 children alcohol was not forbidden, short of being a raging alcoholic, it doesn't really have much effect (IVF docs words !)

When I found out I was pg in April I was worried because I had been drinking an didn't know how far along I was and my doc reassured me that first of all it can't cross the placenta until there IS a placenta and secondly if a few drinks was enough to ruin everything, there would be no need for abortions.

Seems like you can't find out you're pregnant until you've had a couple of big nights, an xray or two, eaten nothing but junk food and soft cheese and lifted something ridiculously heavy.....:winkwink:

Im only drinking when i get af at the mo, I did have 3 on Friday night though, cos i was sure i was on bfn - I think im being a bit more strict cos of my age and how militant i am about this whole ttc thing

I wouldnt worry, but it might be good just to keep things low key

good thing about it is that i now get drunk off 1/4 of a beer. Im a cheapo date

I drink between AF and Ov, but during TWW. I've also become a cheap date, just a glass of wine or a beer and I'm already goofy!

I'm not drinking at all while trying to conceive this time before I got pregnant with my lost little one I occasional had a drink or two but only when I knew for sure I wasn't pregnant so only when I got my period. Now we our back trying to conceive I have decided to not drink at all the last time I had a drink was new years eve. Probably a good thing I'm not drinking as it would no doubt go straight to my head :)

I drink until O time and stop during the 2ww. Then if AF shows, I start again...:wacko:

I love my wine, that's for sure, but I quit at OV. Now that I haven't drank much in the last few months of TTC, I find myself wanting it less and less, which is good. Plus, I've noticed there's nothing like a glass of wine to stimulate my appetite, which just doesn't need any help right now!

i was just wondering if anybody knows if it affects mens little swimmers :dohh:

Research has also shown that drinking alcohol causes a decrease in sperm count, an increase in abnormal sperm and a lower proportion of motile sperm. Alcohol also inhibits the body's absorption of nutrients such as zinc, which is one of the most important minerals for male fertility.

I know my OH has tried to limit his alcohol consumption, mainly because he says it isn't fair that I am giving up lots of stuff if he carries on as normal. Plus he read that alcohol can affect the quality of sperm so he decided to also try and cut back - especially around the fertile time of the month.

I don’t particularly drink much anyway but I have made an effort to cut right back since we started retrying after our mmc. It has been pretty easy as I hadn’t drunk anything anyway for three months when I thought I was still pregnant before we found out we’d lost the baby.

These days I will allow myself the odd drink in the first 10 days of the month. I may occasionally have the odd cider or I like a tot of Baileys in a coffee but I probably only drink a two or three units in a month anyway.

Once I am coming up for ovulation I try to totally avoid alcohol until AF comes again. Sometimes if an occasion falls within that time I will have the odd drink but I try to stick to just one or two. For instance it was one of my best friends weddings at the weekend so I allowed myself the champagne toast and a glass of Pimms and lemonade but avoided the free wine on the table and stuck to water instead.

I think as long as you aren’t drinking every single day and are not binge drinking then allowing yourself the odd drink isn’t so bad. After all we don’t know how long this is going to take – plus I don’t have any other real vices as I don’t smoke and I am always watching my weight so my diet is pretty good.

i carry on as normal too... but i'm not a big drinker to begin with
i only have a glass or two on special occassions, like birthday parties, christmas and new year

Research has also shown that drinking alcohol causes a decrease in sperm count, an increase in abnormal sperm and a lower proportion of motile sperm. Alcohol also inhibits the body's absorption of nutrients such as zinc, which is one of the most important minerals for male fertility.

I know my OH has tried to limit his alcohol consumption, mainly because he says it isn't fair that I am giving up lots of stuff if he carries on as normal. Plus he read that alcohol can affect the quality of sperm so he decided to also try and cut back - especially around the fertile time of the month.

I don’t particularly drink much anyway but I have made an effort to cut right back since we started retrying after our mmc. It has been pretty easy as I hadn’t drunk anything anyway for three months when I thought I was still pregnant before we found out we’d lost the baby.

These days I will allow myself the odd drink in the first 10 days of the month. I may occasionally have the odd cider or I like a tot of Baileys in a coffee but I probably only drink a two or three units in a month anyway.

Once I am coming up for ovulation I try to totally avoid alcohol until AF comes again. Sometimes if an occasion falls within that time I will have the odd drink but I try to stick to just one or two. For instance it was one of my best friends weddings at the weekend so I allowed myself the champagne toast and a glass of Pimms and lemonade but avoided the free wine on the table and stuck to water instead.

I think as long as you aren’t drinking every single day and are not binge drinking then allowing yourself the odd drink isn’t so bad. After all we don’t know how long this is going to take – plus I don’t have any other real vices as I don’t smoke and I am always watching my weight so my diet is pretty good.

thanks for that. my oh drinks friday, saturday and sundays so if it doesnt work for us he will have to stop:growlmad:. i dont drink much either as i feel guilty since losing the baby and i think the only way i will get pregnant is not to:dohh:
why does it have to be so hard:growlmad::growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->