TTC for the 1st time at 40 - not sure what I should ask the GP

zofranks

Reaction score
Ladies - I had a mc on the 5th Aug after a surprise pregnancy, this has now pushed my 'I want to be a mum' button so we are now ttc'ing for the first time, I have made an appointment with my GP for next Tuesday to go & talk about this, apart from asking them what vitamins I should take is there anything else I should be asking them about, should I be asking for any tests to be done or is that far too early yet? I don't want to go & look like a complete dork when I get there!!

Thanks in advance

Julie

Hi Julie...

Sorry to hear of your loss ....

My advice to you - as living in the UK - would be to check out what your district PCT guidelines are for fertility referral.

In my area (Cambridgeshire) they insist that you must be trying to conceive for 1 year before they will refer you for further tests / or 3 miscarriages before further investigation.

This could mean that if you tell the doctor this was your first month of trying then you might not get referred till August next year - which seems ages away when you are over 40 (like myself) and time is of the essence....

So I would just bear that in mind ... Hopefully you will be lucky and fall pregnant again very easily!

Hi Julie...

My advice to you - as living in the UK - would be to check out what your district PCT guidelines are for fertility referral.

In my area (Cambridgeshire) they insist that you must be trying to conceive for 1 year before they will refer you for further tests / or 3 miscarriages before further investigation.

This could mean that if you tell the doctor this was your first month of trying then you might not get referred till August next year - which seems ages away when you are over 40 (like myself) and time is of the essence....

So I would just bear that in mind ... Hopefully you will be lucky and fall pregnant again very easily!

Thanks for the information - do you know how I find out what the PCT guidelines are? I will look on the net & see if I can find anything anyway.

Hi Julie...

Thanks for the information - do you know how I find out what the PCT guidelines are? I will look on the net & see if I can find anything anyway.

So sorry for your lose :hugs:

If in google you type in the council you pay council tax to and follow it's name with PCT that will bring up whoever your PCT is. In my area we were able to start getting testing done after 6 months of TTC with no success.

You might be able to get your doctor to start some blood tests early (such as progesterone levels) because of your recent lose.

Good luck with your appointment and with TTC :hugs::dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->