TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

Hope you feel better soon Summer Rain :hugs:!

Hello ladies :)

I haven't been on this thread for ages but thought i would do a little update on us!

Isaac Benjamin was born 02/08/12 weighing 6lb 9oz. He's gorgeous and we are over the moon!

I continued to feed my DD all the way through my pregnancy, she enjoyed colostrum and always said mmm! I was worried as I had a c section and so had to stay in hospital for 3 days during which she only latched once but since we have been home it's like I've never been away. Her face was an absolute picture the first time she got milk again! :D

Isaac is feeding well too and lost less than 5% of his birthweight. :thumbup: I haven't fed them at the same time yet as Isaac has always been asleep when my DD nurses. There have been no jealousy issues though and she doesn't bat an eyelid when he's feeding. Very happy with our tandem feeding journey so far!! :D

Wait... feeding them at the same time never even occurred to me. I always thought the baby needs most of the milk so will have full feeds then Eva would have it afterwards. If you fed them at the same time wouldn't the toddler drain one boob leaving the newborn with only half a feed?

Congratulations on the birth of your LO btw, you sound very content and happy!

Wait... feeding them at the same time never even occurred to me. I always thought the baby needs most of the milk so will have full feeds then Eva would have it afterwards. If you fed them at the same time wouldn't the toddler drain one boob leaving the newborn with only half a feed?

Congratulations on the birth of your LO btw, you sound very content and happy!

Nope! Your body will continue to make milk as long as an infant is actively sucking :) Amazing!

AITN says though to always feed a baby first in the early days, but you can def feed at the same time :) Makes for great pics too!!!

Congrats DJ!!!

Congrats DJ!!

When DD was going through her match DS for every feed stage I used to just feed them at the same time and allocate them their own boob for the day. OR I used to feed DS from one side and then when DD got interested and started stalking the boobie I'd switch baby over to the fresh side and let DD have what was left of the side DS had been on.

I'm pretty sure I read on kellymom the other day that while it's colostrum, you should always feed the baby first, but once your milk is in, you can work it to suit.

Toddlers deal better with a fast letdown than a newborn, so they might get to have first go, deal with the tricky bit, then change to the younger one. But as Ozzie said, as long as there's demand, there will be milk :)

I'm pretty sure I read on kellymom the other day that while it's colostrum, you should always feed the baby first, but once your milk is in, you can work it to suit.

Toddlers deal better with a fast letdown than a newborn, so they might get to have first go, deal with the tricky bit, then change to the younger one. But as Ozzie said, as long as there's demand, there will be milk :)

I did this a lot when my milk came in and I do it now if I get engorged. So useful! I often nurse them at the same time though. There's more than enough for both.

I do feel bad for OH when I nurse the babies together as he's left out. They interact with each other now, sometimes nicely, sometimes playing and its like this big three way hug!!! This morning they where fighting over a toy ice cream and making each other laugh when they where meant to be feeding.

Thank you ladies! :)

My DD has been so good at relieving my engorgement, especially in a morning when I know it will be a while before Isaac feeds.

I had a rather judgemental midwife visit me at home the day after I got home from hospital, she didn't even know whether Isaac still got colostrum because I was still feeding my toddler. I almost told her to get out my house because she was do judgemental. She even asked if my DD eats food!! :saywhat:

Thank you ladies! :)

My DD has been so good at relieving my engorgement, especially in a morning when I know it will be a while before Isaac feeds.

I had a rather judgemental midwife visit me at home the day after I got home from hospital, she didn't even know whether Isaac still got colostrum because I was still feeding my toddler. I almost told her to get out my house because she was do judgemental. She even asked if my DD eats food!! :saywhat:

And this is why I won't be seeing an HV after the next baby. MW I don't mind as long as she keeps her trap shut.

Can you choose not to see a HV? Mine was awful - was like 'Oooh no I never breastfed' and pulled a face at me, then when my little girl was always low on the weight charts (she was fairly small born and I'm 5 foot 2 so hardly a giant) she really tried to push me to take domperidone or supplement with formula when my little girl was always so content I didn't want to change anything! Then was making me get her weighed weekly, which was such a pain when I knew she was fine! Think I'll be a lot more confident with the next one now lol x

I cam't believe she asked you if she ate food btw!!

oh dear DJ, at least your not under midwife care for long now baby is here! so good to hear the journey is going so well!

Hello all im between 8weeks and 12 weeks pregnant my daughter is 5months old i am an exclusive pumper is there any books or info anywere about bf while pregnant my search on the internet presented me with nothing but a yahoo questions thing which is useless! My nipples have suddenly gotten scabby and dry is this normal too? X my boobs r always sore i thought ur milk is supposed to reduce! My fridge is overloaded with my milk and ran out of space in the freezer and now im back to night pumping.. exausting

:haha: A handful of people think I'm nuts for TTC.

Hellooo! I dont know if u remmeber me lol but when i was pregnant and intending on having them both close u said i shud have her first and see if i still feel the same! Well here i am haha still felt the same and were pregnant!! Woohoo and my daughters 5months old! The only thing that didnt go to plan was direct bf so im pumping but still pushing through lol

Disadvantages of Tandem breastfeeding

- Most moms feel that they cannot lose any of the pregnancy weight while breastfeeding this is mostly due to stored fat and also a lower metabolic rate when breastfeeding

I just found this on a website, so i've always been told breastfeeding helps shed those pregnancy kgs so surely breastfeeding twice as much couldn't have the adverse affect and make your store the fat. This seems to go against everything i've learnt

I eat a lot since tandem nursing. I can eat as much as my 6'2" 19 stone OH. I must be on 3.5K calories a day. My weight is stable at 13stone which was my pre pregnancy weight. I burn more calories, but I eat more calories. If I don't eat what my body asks for I quickly get dizzy and feel faint.

i never wanted to eat anymore when i started breastfeeding Eva but lost alot of weight, but i also found on the days that i actively ate more i actually produced more milk... i just never had a appetite that i probably should have. I never really gain weight during pregnancy though.

I ovulated like a month ago, EBF so no period. I have cramps and feeling really shitty.. and grumpy. When can/should I test? or should I at all? DS is only almost 3 months old.. to be honest, I'm scared! OH and I are only 19 & 22.. struggling as it is, which is why I didn't get my BC ($40/mo) -- just freaking me out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->