TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

Ooh, good luck Ozzie! Fingers crossed for you!

Good luck Ozzie.

DS is now the same age DD was when I went back to work. 6 weeks after going back to work I was pregnant. I'm on the lookout for fertile signs but as yet nothing. DD is down to one feed a day +emergencies but DS is still nursing quite a bit mostly due to molars.

Just re found this thread. My period is over a week late now I haven't tested yet but I've been getting a little cramping not like I usually do before a period. I don't really want to jinx it by testing but I'm also trying not to get my hopes up x

We conceived our second baby (currently pregnant) on the first month of TTC...couldn't believe it as it took seven months with our first. AF returned when DD was 6 months and it was regular from the start. My DD was 16 months old when we conceived our second, and was BF 3x a day. I definitely have had a real dip in supply but she has continued feeding 2-3 times a day and seems happy to carry on....

We conceived both Sophie and this one in our first month, even with breastfeeding.

I still have milk at the moment, but I think even without Sophie will continue!

I have never seen this thread before and should have been in it! bit late to be here now.

Thank you so much for your answers!
They were very encouraging.
The way my doctor spoke it sounded like it’s almost impossible to get pregnant when you’re breastfeeding.

cookielucylou congratulations on your new baby! :baby:
Spunky congratulations on your pregnancy!
span congratulations on your pregnancy too!
LuckyD congratulations on your pregnancy!
Lauki congratulations on your pregnancy!
tardiz congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thank you again!

Congrats to all you ladies with your bfp's!
Dragonfly - welcome and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
x

Congrats tardiz!

Dragonfly its never too late :).

Hello, my name is Zoe and I'm from Greece.

My son is almost 14 months old and we're breastfeeding. We're also TTC #2(4 months). My period returned when my son was 7 months old, very irregular at first but much better now. I went to my doctor and he told me that everything looks fine but it's very hard to conceive when you're breastfeeding.

I just wanted to ask you lovely ladies, how long did it take you to get pregnant and how old where your little ones.

Thank you in advance :)

I got pregnant while BF my second eldest; he was just under a year and I had my period back for 2 months-he went on a nursing strike when I was very newly pregnant possibly due to change in milk and didn't know it yet and I had a lot going on at the time so I just stopped BF then. This time I got my period back when my son was 11 months but my cycles were all over the place and according to OPKs and temping my luteal phase was only 5 to 7 days. I then found that taking b6 can help (but caution in some women it can reduce supply), I started taking it in July and that month I had a normal 27 day cycle with luteal phase of around 11 days-huge improvement. However I was unwell that month and taking ibuprofen and similar which can interfere with proper ovulation and implantation. The next month my cycle and luteal phase must've been about 33 days long and I ovulated later than expected but we just dtd every other day for most of my cycle and it worked. I am still BF now though I experienced some change back to colostrum and now it seems nothing is coming out but judging from my son's very wet nappies even when he hasn't had any other fluids for a while, and him swallowing he must be getting something. We will reach my 2 year goal in 10 days, God willing xx

Hi everyone! Just to answer the above question--my period came back when my DS was 7 months, and got pregnant when he was 9 months; we started ntnp for the first month then the next month I tracked my ovulation and made sure we dtd at the right time (Ozzie, I also had to remind DH that sex was a necessary component of making a baby :)), it worked! We were both really surprised at how quick it happened. It took 4 months with #1(with perhaps a chemical pregnancy in there) so I was sort of planning on getting pregnant when DS was one year old rather than 9 months. So all that to say, that it could happen really quickly (or it can take a really long time) even when you're breastfeeding, you just never really know.
On another note, I have been having problems with sharp pain in my right nipple off and on since I got pregnant; each episode seems to get worse and last longer than the last. I asked the midwife about it and she thought it was thrush and prescribed an anti- fungal cream but it didn't help at all and made my nipple burn. I finally saw a lactation consultant and found out it is plugged ducts, which is what I had suspected all along. Evidently the pregnancy hormones can cause excess skin growth, like skin tags, and its causing skin to keep growing over the milk ducts in that one nipple. This last time, it's been almost a month of pain and can't seem to get it to stay open, and nursing has been a real struggle. We're down to only three feeds a day and lately I only feed him on that side once a day, but the pain can last for hours. DH thinks I should just wean him, but I really hate to do that since he still wants to nurse and I really want him to wean himself when he's ready and hoping to make it to two years. Anybody else had problems with plugged ducts during pregnancy? Any suggestions? Four more months of this seems like forever!

A question for all you tandem BFers.....

I still BF my daughter to sleep for her nap and at bedtime....but am not sure how/if this will work when the new baby is born? It's one thing at night when my partner will be home so he can have the baby, but during the day when it's just me, how will I have time to do this? It takes about 15-20 mins usually.

I know newborns do sleep....sometimes....I guess I find it hard to imagine as my DD didn't ever nap anywhere but on one of us for months! I guess if the baby can have a nap in the moses basket I could feed my toddler to sleep for a nap? Just trying to get my head around the logistics of it all, and wondering if I need to find another way to get DD to sleep before the baby is born (which I am kind of reluctant to do as it works so well for us at the moment!).

Has anyone been in this situation before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->