TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

Hi ladies, I have a question. I´m still BF my 10 month old, my period came back at 5.5 months. I was just wondering if I am definately ovulating or could I be having my period and not ovulating because of the breastfeeding? My first cycle was 54 days, then 39, then 30 and the last one 31 days.

Is bfing a reliable form of contraception for the 1st 6 months? The hv left me a leaflet which said 98% effective if baby is fully breastfed and your periods havnt come back but I always thought it was reliable and you can get pregnant before your period is back anyway.

Hi everyone! I posted before about thinking I was pregnant, and I was positive I was! I had all the symptoms that I did with DS, plus nausea, which I never had! Anyways, I am actually a bit disappointed that AF showed last week.

I've been ovulating just fine, and BD'ing on those days without protection (NTNP) - but I'm not getting pregnant..

I'm kind of leaving it up to God, you know.. like, what's meant to be will happen. But I'm getting baby fever so bad now that my little guy is starting to become mobile.

I guess I just needed to get that off my chest. I feel guilty if we TTC #2, because it doesn't look like DS is going to wean anytime soon and I'd hate my supply to drop in the middle of our breastfeeding relationship.. but at the same time, I really want another!

How do you decide!?

Is bfing a reliable form of contraception for the 1st 6 months? The hv left me a leaflet which said 98% effective if baby is fully breastfed and your periods havnt come back but I always thought it was reliable and you can get pregnant before your period is back anyway.

It's debatable. The leaflet I had when I had my youngest said its only 98% reliable if baby is BF at least every 2-3 hours around the clock, has no dummies, no expressed milk ever (even if pumping is done around the same time) and your baby is under 6 months and your period hasn't returned. I'm inclined to agree with that advice though these days very few women can EBF to that extent. Scarily some ladies are being told by MWs and HVs that regardless of how often you BF or anything else it's impossible to get your period back or get pregnant while EBF and its totally not true xx

Hi ladies, I have a question. I´m still BF my 10 month old, my period came back at 5.5 months. I was just wondering if I am definately ovulating or could I be having my period and not ovulating because of the breastfeeding? My first cycle was 54 days, then 39, then 30 and the last one 31 days.

Only way to tell is by charting really. Most women will start ovulating when their period returns but for some they have 1-2 annovulatory cycles first xx

I'm just wondering if any of you have any advice, I am currently feeding my 15 month old ( nearly 16 months!!) and I want to ttc number 2! But I am still feeding constantly through the night and it took awhile to have a successful pregnancy ( I lost 2 before him!) and I have kinda come to the conclusion that I will not feed through pregnancy, I know there is no proof that it has any risk of mc, but I think because of what my body went through I don't want to put any extra pressure on myself with feeding through it... Here is where I am stuck , I am feeling so guilty at the thought of night weaning, we said we would ttc in dec but I wasn't ready to stop feeding so I pushed it to march, but we discussed it and I said I would night wean now to give my body a rest - my son wakes hourly and I work so I have been quite run down lately and on anti b's for the guts of a month trying to get rid of this bad sinus infection I got , so my dh just wants me to give my body a break to give us the best chance to concieve and have a successful pregnancy...... But how do you get over the guilt of weaning?
anyone????

Hi everyone! I posted before about thinking I was pregnant, and I was positive I was! I had all the symptoms that I did with DS, plus nausea, which I never had! Anyways, I am actually a bit disappointed that AF showed last week.

I've been ovulating just fine, and BD'ing on those days without protection (NTNP) - but I'm not getting pregnant..

I'm kind of leaving it up to God, you know.. like, what's meant to be will happen. But I'm getting baby fever so bad now that my little guy is starting to become mobile.

I guess I just needed to get that off my chest. I feel guilty if we TTC #2, because it doesn't look like DS is going to wean anytime soon and I'd hate my supply to drop in the middle of our breastfeeding relationship.. but at the same time, I really want another!

How do you decide!?
I have asked a similar question! :) so I can't answer ya, but I would love another also but I am feeling guilty as my ds would have to be weaned - had a lot of trouble having him so I know I have to wean to give me the best chance!

In all fairness, a lot of his feeds are pumped (still every 2h), so like Summer said, that likely makes it less effective, but my initial thought was "haha, no!". :p

Hi ladies, wondered if anyone could help...

My son is 8 months old and he still had 2-3 breastfeeds per day, however since I found out I am pregnant he has been bringing back up most of his feeds :shrug:

I don't know what to do, have my hormones altered my milk? I don't want to stop breastfeeding because my supply is good and usually he feeds really well but since he's being sick he's not actually getting many nutrients from the milk so I don't know what to do :[

Should I stop? He has a sippy cup at meal times with water in but he only has a couple of ounces and he's always refused a bottle so I'm not sure how I would even go about giving him formula if I sadly had to. I have about a months worth of EBM in the freezer from months back, which I make his cereal with but that won't last long if it has to also replace his feeds.

Any advice would be appreciated, if there's any supplement that will neutralise my milk, or just wait it out and see if he gets used to it.

I've posted this in a few forums so thank you in advance for any suggestions :flower:

xxx

I'm confused. After thinking I was going to have a stupidly short luteal phase, I made it too 10dpo, with a tiny pin prick of red spotting 9dpo and brown spotting at 10 dpo. 11 dpo I started my period, or so I thought. There was not even enough for a tampon. Today, either 12 dpo or cycle day 2, there is nothing, not even pms cramping. :shrug:

I've done several tests, negative on early pregnancy tests, but I keep getting faint lines on opk's. so as I said, I'm confused, very!

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Oh, and my cervix has gone walk about, it's now high and firm, when it should be low. :shrug:

I'm assuming your counting DPO from an positive OPK? Its possible you had implantation bleeding. Or maybe a little breakthrough bleed before egg got itself producing enough hormones. Or you could have had a peak in LH and therefore a positive OPK without actually ovulating. Or fluctuation in BFing hormones could be interfering with cycle.

Only think you can do is wait and see and retest.

Yes, a positive opk nearly 2 weeks ago, plus going on cervix and cervical fluid. Can't temp as Lily's sleep is really bad, so it wouldn't be reliable. I'm as sure I can be without temping that ovulated.

I had wondered about implantation. Dunno though as totally different from early pregnancy with lily.

I got a positive result on an early pregnancy test this morning. Looks like I've got myself a little accident :wacko: so that explains the sensitive nipples that started up yesterday.

Not as happy as I thought I'd be, in fact I'm slightly panicked by it. Just hope my morning sickness isn't as bad as last time :shrug:

I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 14 month old. Is it ok to nurse while pregnant? Will my production of milk still be sufficient for my new baby? will I have more or less? Will my daughter ever stop? Will she fight for her feeding along with new baby? I'm just not sure if my body has it in me to feed 2?:baby:

I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 14 month old. Is it ok to nurse while pregnant? Will my production of milk still be sufficient for my new baby? will I have more or less? Will my daughter ever stop? Will she fight for her feeding along with new baby? I'm just not sure if my body has it in me to feed 2?:baby:

Ok, in order then -
Yes, it's ok to nurse in pregnancy.
Yes your supply will be sufficient for the new baby (think how cluster feeding ups supply.)
You'll have the right amount of milk to suit the needs of both.
A significant number of toddlers stop in pregnancy due to the taste or reduced supply. On the other hand, many will be just as keen, and continue regardless. It's up to you and her if you decide to encourage weaning.
She's unlikely to fight for feeding. It has really eased any sibling jealousy in our house.

You might need to put restrictions in place according to what you're comfortable with.

If you've not read the thread, I'd really recommend it. There are some good links and books suggestions in the first post. Congratulations!

Just wanted to say :hi:
My DD will be 6 months on the 16th and DH and I have decided to TTC #2. AF arrived 8-10 weeks pp. DD is A good sleeper, aroun 10+ hrs a night without nursing, but nurses every 2 hrs +/- during the day.

I just started temping again yesterday, to see if im ovulating and to see what my LP looks like. I had 3 miscarriages before DD. I took one round of clomid and got a bfn, but the month after we conceived DD. I was on progesterone during the 1st tri with her as well.

With all it took to have a successful pregnancy, I'm thinking it probably won't be super easy the 2nd time around, but I'd like to try...and I'd like to keep BF while we do try.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but it looks like there's some useful info and lots of ladies with experience, so I look forward to catching up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->