TTC summer 2010 - Who's with me?

Hi

We'll be TTC our next baby around July/Aug/Sept. We started TTC last time in June and didn't conceive until Aug so I'd like it a little later this time just so we can be fairly safe that birthdays wont collide :haha:

We'll probably go down the NTNP route like before but honestly, I still stressed about it. I just don't get all this charting and temp stuff. I'd rather just let nature take its course and get stressed at nature than know everything about my body and get stressed at myself :blush:

Hello. I am new. Just got married in October, hubby and I are both 26 (well I will be on Wednesday :)) and we are hoping to start trying for a baby this summer :D It's all a bit hectic as I am on a contract job which is due to end in August and Hubby has a permanent job but would like to get a job using his Masters so we would feel a bit more secure moneywise but tbh we are just glad we have jobs at the moment. We would also quite like to move house before we have a baby and perhaps even move back beside our parents for the support.

I am really excited about trying for a baby but and just worried that maybe we are rushing into it when there is so much up in the air but I keep thinking there is never a perfect time to have a baby. O its so scary and thats before I am even pregnant ! :D

Welcome! Don't worry I think everyone finds it scary. As long as you know you can manage, I wouldn't worry too much about the occassional panic. :D do you mind me asking what it is you do and whether you have an idea for when your contract runs out? I'm just curious because I'm in a similar situation (see above). Could you afford to be a stay at home mum for a while? I would love to myself but we couldn't afford more than just a few months on just OH's income. I'm hoping to go part time though.

I work in the heritage sector - I currently work for a building and archaeological archive but since i graduated I have only been in contract jobs. I have been quite lucky and usually manage to find new jobs quite soon after old ones end but I don't think I will get proper maternity leave when I am on a short term contract so not sure what I should do when my current contract ends. I am not sure if we could survive on OH's income alone (I am currently trying to keep track of our incomes and outcomes to work out if we could) If he manages to get a job with his masters I think we could survive on his income for a a while at least.

I really hope we can start trying this summer but I guess we need to see if things are right when the summer comes. Also I keep thinking it might take a while to get pregnant (although my mum has warned me that with me and my brother she fell pregnant straight away ! :) )

O wanted to ask are any of you lovely ladies planning to start taking folic acid anytime soon ? I read that it is good to take it before you start trying as its is important in the first 12 weeks and if people wait until they know they are pregnant etc they have missed the first 6 weeks. I just wondered if anyone knew how long before trying you should take it and if it has any side effects if you take it for a while before trying ? I am a bit worried as I read natural folic acid comes from bread (which I love) and cereal which I hate and never eat so worried I maybe don't get a lot at the moment anyway.

A lot of us are taking it already. I have been taking it for about 2 months (more or less religiously, but I'm trying). As far as research today goes it seems like you can't overdose on it so I figure why not. And plus if we were to have an "accident" before the summer I'd want to be sure that I'm getting enough FA. I'm just taking a really cheap tesco one but will upgrade to "proper" prenatals in march or so I think.
About your job: I would look into statutory maternity pay. You still get this on a fixed contract but I think there are rules for how long you have to have been in the job etc. Might be worth checking that out and seeing if you can time baby so that you would still get SMP. The amount also depends on how much you work during your pregnancy so might be worth checking out.

I will have a look into statutory pay. If i get pregnant now my contract will run out before I am due and I guess I will either find it hard to get another contract if I am far on or will def not be in the job long enough to get maternity pay if i get a new job ..not sure though so will have a look into it some more. We are going to New York at the end of April and were thinking of starting trying then but may be going to America again at the end of June so might be better to wait until then to start trying .. its funny how many people seem to be starting to try on holidays :)

Is anyone finding that thinking about starting a family is messing up their motivation for other things? I've always workd hard and been highly motivated to do well in my education and career. But since we decided on a ttc date I just don't seem to care. I work because I know I need to pay the mortgage but my passion's gone. Or rather it's moved to thinking about babies...
I don't know, may be a bit of January blues in there as well. All I know is I need to find some bloody motivation.

August 2010 :) Kind of still summer !!
We're spending the next 8 months saving money, and having a look at getting a mortgage too.
OH works away a lot too - so he's a little worried cuz she doesn't want to be one of those 'never there' dads.

I'm so excited. :)

I've lost all enthuisasm for work! I've always wanted more from my job/career. I was hoping to get a better job in time for taking maternity leave but it hasn't happened and its looking more and more likely that I won't be returning after babies due to the shifts and not being able to work child care. Knowing its not the job i wanted for life, combined with the fact I may not well be returning means my enthusiasm has taken a bit of a nose dive and like you all i can think of is babies! I wish we could try sooner than summer now that I'm feeling like this!

Amy, I am so so so with you on that! The whole lack of motivation thing! And I have found that I am already putting off things that I would normally do if I was not pregnant hoping by that time I will be.. For example, one of my girlfriends asked me if I wanted to do an adventure race with her, (mountain bike, canoe, run) just like we did at the end of last summer. I told her I could, IF and only IF i am not pregnant! Totally hoping I am! LOL!

This is my first post. Hello everyone. I'm thinking about TTC my first baby in June this year. Planning on coming off the pill Feb or March. Not sure if my boyfriend will change his mind so not feeling very real at the moment. Hope these forums will help me get my head round what I need to do and when. No idea what I need to do at the moment!! But anyway.. Hello

Hiya can I join you girls waiting till summer.

After a (very) short spell on ttc we had to put back our ttc baby #1 for 5/6 months. Now hoping to be starting at the end of May. Still quite upset that we had to stop as soon as we had started but hopefully it will be all for the better!! Thats what I keep telling myself!!

I have definitely lost any drive in my career. My contract runs out in August and I keep thinking it would have been good to be pregnant now so there is no hassle of a new job after that :) OH is looking for a higher paid job and I keep saying it is his job which is important at the moment and I am happy to move if he can get a job. I was thinking about doing a post grad but I have lost all interest in it now and would much rather be a mummy ! O dear what are we doing for womens rights .... lol

I think women's rights is a difficult one. I'm all for women being able to do all a man can do careerwise. I work in a very male dominated field myself and wouldn't let anyone tell me I can't. BUT I think equality doesn't mean sameness. Women aren't men. Women (or at least most women) have the desire to have kids at some point and be there for them. I think nowadays women are often expected to follow male career paths AND juggle having kids in order to be perceived as 'equal'. But the point is: We're not the same. We can't decide that we'd prefer our OHs to stay at home breastfeeding the baby. And no woman should be made to feel less worthy or unemancipated just because she decides that for her family it is best if she doesn't go to work for a while but looks after the kids. I won't let anyone tell me I can't work or have a career. But I also won't let anyone tell me I can't be a mother and wife for a while if I choose to do that.
Sorry, sore spot for me. :D

Hi Mya and Bella! Welcome! why don't you tell us a bit more about yourselves and your lives, we're a curious bunch... ;)

Thanks! I am 25 and have been with my boyfriend for 7 years. A year ago we went through a bad patch and split up for a bit, we stopped being engaged and had to cancel our wedding. We are now back together and so much stronger and have decided to start a family and buy a house rather than have the expensive wedding. We are both professionals. I publish books and he's a scientist... Erm WTT is a big step for us and it's very scary indeed with career house freedom and money issues coming back to haunt us. But I want a baby more than anything and hope it works out ok.

I think it's normal to be scared. Most people seem to go through that once they actually set a date. But it's exciting too. :D

Can i join you girls?

I am Emma 23, been with DF for almost 6 years. We have a 16month old son.

We were going to start trying in Feb but we have decided to wait til June now.

xxx

i know a few of you are already taking folic acid, when do you think i should start. we are planning to ntnp at the end of May when we go on holiday - should i start taking them soonish? I should be going to the doctors soon about something else - i may drop in that i am ttc in may and see if she gives me any guidance.

Roll on the summer :) xxxxx

I don't think theres any harm in taking FA now. I am, more so because I am taking medication that can result in defects, so FA is super important for me, and my GP recommended I take it incase of accidents! But i've not heard of any reason why you can't start a few months before you start trying to make sure its in your system. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->