TTC summer 2010 - Who's with me?

Psychology. Yeah, I fear that drop in motivation. But I hope that I can avoid that by getting all the experimental work (which is unstructured and requires constant self-motivation) out of the way. I hope that by having a detailed time plan for writting up I can avoid motivation issues. But I guess we'll see. I'm not really sure what happens afterwards for me anyway so I'm just taking things as they come for now. Do you have plans for life after phd? Or are you going to be at home with LO for a while and then see?

Hi all, just popped on to see how everyone is. Summer seems like such a wait!!!! I am hoping to have my coil removed next month so I can regulate my cycles and then have a better idea of ov time. We will be using condoms then. It will be very hard not to start ttc sooner, but the summer makes sense. Anyway, hope all is well xx

me me me!!!

TTC was on hold indefinate but we have had a chat and is now on for the summer. not sure exactly when but im so happy. :D

Hi everyone! It's been a busy couple of days... it has taken my mind off of being baby crazy :)

Amygdala - I think you can do it! Just keep the motivation up :) Good idea to make a detailed plan. As for after PhD... I'm not sure what I'll do but I'm kind of assuming I'll get a job. Maybe do a postdoc, maybe find a job with a company? I probably won't be a SAHM... my husband kind of wants to be a SAHD... I don't know if we could afford either so who knows!

i would love to be a SAHM but i dont think we will be able to afford it either. My job gives me the flexability to work at home so ill be able to do the odd day here and there but until we have a baby we cant make plans. Im hoping my mom will help out as she doesnt work and the days i need to be in work she will have bubba which is great as childcare costs will be low. Is anyone else hoping to be a SAHM? or are your partners planning on being SAHD? xx

Another summer bod (and I have my PhD!) It took me WAY more time than I care to remember, but even when your motivation is at its lowest ebb, don't ever give up. You WILL get there in the end and it's SO worth it!

No chance for me staying at home - Mr mortgage say NO! I hope to work a 3-day week, but I guess we will see. If DH gets a new job we may look at moving closer to the parents (both sets are currently 1h15 away) otherwise we will be totally stuck for childcare!

Hi Kerry! What is it you do? Is your job generally accomodating of working less hours/days? Having parents close is a great thing I think. Unfortunately ours are both far away, 2.5 hours to the nearest set. But I do have both my sisters quite close so that should help hopefully. One of them's still at uni so somewhat flexible with hours and we'll probably pay her for childcare.

How's everyone doing?

I've just had my rubella checked last week and thankfully I'm immune, no jab needed. :happydance: "Bloods" were fine as well, though I'm not actually sure what they check. :shrug: But whatever it was was fine. :D

Have you girls been checked for rubella yet? If you need a jab you should wait for 3 months before ttc so now's the time!

Hi girls, good to read about what you're all up to! I've just had my 30th birthday (Dec last year). DH and I have been married for nearly 2 years (anniversary in May) and we're TTCing from July/August this year :happydance: I'm so excited! I want to lose a bit of weight first (I'm a touch heavy at the moment) and I want to get a bit healthier becuase my eating isn't as good as it could be.

Bought some folic acid the other day, so will start taking that ASAP, when I remember :blush: I also need to get my rubella immunity checked, but I've heard it's a blood test so I'm really worried about that as I nearly passed out the last time I had blood taken, about six months ago. My veins aren't great so the nurse ended up taking blood from a little vein that runs over the bone on the inside of my wrist. I think it was possibly the most painful thing I've ever experienced!

Bought some folic acid the other day, so will start taking that ASAP, when I remember :blush: I also need to get my rubella immunity checked, but I've heard it's a blood test so I'm really worried about that as I nearly passed out the last time I had blood taken, about six months ago. My veins aren't great so the nurse ended up taking blood from a little vein that runs over the bone on the inside of my wrist. I think it was possibly the most painful thing I've ever experienced!

I hear you! It took 3 people and 6 trials to get blood out of me. But rubella's really important and the sooner you can get it checked the better, in case you need a booster. Might be worth getting some general blood tests done at the same time?

I think I just had an MMR jag last year before we went on holiday so should be fine. I have been taking my folic acid for a few weeks now but an a bit confused. I ready the long tread on here just it has just made me more confused. My pack says 400 µg (which is 200% of RDA but then lots of people have said this isn't enough so i don't understand why is 200% if its no where near what you need. I have been taking two tablets a day with make it 800 µg which people in America seem to be able to buy over the counter. Other people said you can take up to 1000µg but people are warning about Vitamin B deficiencies so I am scared to take to much. What I dont understand is if we should be taking more why don't they sell the tablets in larger sizes. I am so confused ! Some days i take 1 tablet and some days 2. Any advice please ??

Advice varies. In the UK, the general advice is that pregnant women should get 600µg (it's assumed that you get 200µg from food, so you'd supplement 400µg). For non-pregnant people, the RDA is 200µg, that's what the 200% on your pack refers to.

In other countries, they advise higher doses. The US might be 800µg I think? Some European countries recommend that amount as well. All the research indicates that you can take up to 1000µg (=1mg) without worrying about side-effects such as the masking of vitamin B deficiencies. In cases of family history of spina bifida or other concerns, a doctor may prescribe up to 5mg but this high dose should only be taken under medical supervision.

Long story short: I'm taking 800µg but I think anything between 400 and 1000µg is safe if there is no medical history to warrant a higher dose.

Hey all! I think there's a few new wtters for summer now?

I'm having a phase of overthinking things at the moment. For the past few cycles I've tried to predict when exactly I'll ovulate in June to know whether we can ttc then or need to wait till July. :rofl: I need to concentrate on other things, I really do..

Hey all! I think there's a few new wtters for summer now?

I'm having a phase of overthinking things at the moment. For the past few cycles I've tried to predict when exactly I'll ovulate in June to know whether we can ttc then or need to wait till July. :rofl: I need to concentrate on other things, I really do..

:dohh: LOL I did have a little lookie at that too yesterday because we're going to Australia in June/July and I wanted to see when my cycles are going to be whilst we're away :wacko:

I have been thinking about that too because I really want to take a vacation the first month we TTC. I think it will be very romantic. But I think for us the most reasonable option is to not plan anything until closer to the time and then just take a short trip somewhere nearby when the time comes. That will be easier to plan around my cycle and should be cheaper! I'm in California so there are plenty of nice road trips.

On the other hand my husband and I would really like to go to the Caribbean... not sure if that's a reasonable plan though!

I'm in!!! :happydance: Hubby and I finally decided to start TTC this summer, I'm getting off my BCP in May, which is conveniently when I'm supposed to be seeing my obgyn for my yearly checkup...Let's see, my name is Monica. Hubby and I have been together since high school He's 27yo, I'll be 25 in March. We have 1 wonderful 6yo daughter now. We got pregnant young and I've been waiting to finish nursing school and invest some time at my new place before getting preggers. I'm soooo excited to finally have the green light this summer!

hello fellow wtters! Im also in...me and my hubby got married Jan 09 and had our first child, sofya rose in July last year, we are WTT until summer this year to get straight with money and stuff. Cant wait to try again, it took nearly a year last time so really we should start trying now but you never know it may happen quicker this time!! :winkwink::winkwink:

I am 26 and WTT until late summer 2010. I am SO ready to be a Mommy and have an amazing OH who will be a fabulous Daddy :) I am educating myself as much as possible - being in the science field it is challenging to see all of the advice and the pros and cons that exist. I think all I can do is take care of myself and be optimistic.

Welcome! What field are you in then? Do you work as a researcher?
I think there's very few absolute facts about ttc (apart from rubella and folic acid I can't think of any). I'm also trying to get clued up but in the end I think it's important to relax and just enjoy the ride. :D

Hi everyone, I have just joined today!
Can I join you too?:D
Me and my fiancé are planning to TTC in
June/July 2010.
I’ve been on Cerazette for about 3 years
and never had any problems but after that I have seen some
horror stories about them I am starting to wonder
if I should come off them now to get my
cycle back to normal? Of course we would have to use
other contraceptives but it would
maybe be worth it!?!?
Anyone else in the same position?