TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

Marley - sorry this may be a stupid question, but how did you measure/ calculate your son's calorie intake....? :shrug:

I was having a dig around Google yesterday, I was curious to know what the calorie intake for a baby should be. Nothing on any UK sites obviously, as they'd like us to keep feeding & feeding with no worries about counting; but a couple of international sites mentioned a figure of 100c per kg of weight (so for Andrew, 650c).

I know exactly how much formula milk he has & its calorie count (as it's prescription high-calorie stuff). The rest of the info I found from packets (weetabix, fromage-frais, meat meal & fruit pudding).

Hiya newbie to this bit!! Just heading down the street to get a blender and some fruit and veg to make up purees, wish me luck!!
P.s how do you make apple puree do you need to heat the apples in a pan before blending? Sorry if that sounds dumb!

It's not dumb :D Yep, boil them until nice and soft, then if you need to you can add a little of the boiled water when your blending to make a nice soft puree depending on consistency :flower:

Thankyou:flower: this whole weaning thing is completely mind boggling:wacko:

I usually steam the fruit or veg, got myself one of these nifty microwave steamers now as well, which steams everything in a matter of minutes. Good luck :thumbup:

Thanx ladies just done his veggies this morning but off for the weekly shop this afternoon to stock up on fruit so I'll get that done at some point!!!

Hey ladies. I was wondering if you all could give me an idea of your daily routine with milk/foods for your lo? Like what times? Before or after a milk feed etc? My lo is taking well to food but I'm just worried that I'm not doing it right! Lol!

Thanks ladies! Xxx

Weekdays Chloe usually has a bottle in the morning (aprox 7.30am) and then breakfast when she gets to nursery (aprox 8.30am). She usually has another bottle around 10.30 as a kind of snack before lunch time. She has her dinner in the afternoon and then a bottle about 5.30pm on the way home.

Weekends she usually he breakfast bottle and solids usually are swapped over otherwise she is out of sync the whole day for some reason.

She is nearly 10 months now and only has 3 bottles a day though.

:flower:

Hey ladies. I was wondering if you all could give me an idea of your daily routine with milk/foods for your lo? Like what times? Before or after a milk feed etc? My lo is taking well to food but I'm just worried that I'm not doing it right! Lol!

Thanks ladies! Xxx

Omar is not so keen about his morning bottle, so I offer him breakfast & he takes his bottle after 1.5-2 hrs. I always leave a gap of 1.5-2 hrs between feeds & solids as he's not a big drinker or eater, & cant have both close to each other.

Our routine is:
7am - milk
9am - solids
11am - milk
3pm - milk
5pm - solids
7pm - milk

When we go to 3 meals lunch will be at 1pm. We started offering solids half way through a feed and it meant that O wouldnt go back to his milk. Also if we did it after his milk he would throw up, and before his milk meant he wouldnt have any milk at all! We found this worked best for us!

Well, this has been my first week back at work with my OH responsible for two of Andrew's four feeds. And I don't know what he has been doing, but whatever it was, it's worked - Andrew is eating like a horse now!

He's having almost a full weetabix for breakfast; a meat dish (st2 pouch) and a pudding at 11am; and he just had one-and-a-half fromage frais at 3pm! All this while taking in the same 500ml of formula milk.

I'm going to keep him on the EK st2 pouches this week as he likes them, and then try him with other st2 jars next weekend (so he gets small lumps).

Marleys- It's good to hear that Andrew is eating so well!

Connor will be 6 months old this week, so I started him on three meals a day. He has always been fed on demand, but I finaly wrote up a schedule. I work full time so he has 4 different people that watch him in a five day work week. They were all feeding him at weird times throwing his night time routine off. So my question is - Can you please look at my schedule and tell me what you think?

6:30 Wake- up and breastfeed
8:30 Breakfast- Usually oatmeal with fruit or Yoghurt
10:30 6oz bottle of EBM
1:00 Lunch- Usually a veggie and some finger foods
3:00 6oz bottle of EBM or formula
5:00 Breastfeed
5:30 Dinner - Usually a finger food (toast or rice cake) then something savory followed by fruit
7:45 7oz bottle of formula
8:00 Bed

Thank You

Marleys- It's good to hear that Andrew is eating so well!

Connor will be 6 months old this week, so I started him on three meals a day. He has always been fed on demand, but I finaly wrote up a schedule. I work full time so he has 4 different people that watch him in a five day work week. They were all feeding him at weird times throwing his night time routine off. So my question is - Can you please look at my schedule and tell me what you think?

6:30 Wake- up and breastfeed
8:30 Breakfast- Usually oatmeal with fruit or Yoghurt
10:30 6oz bottle of EBM
1:00 Lunch- Usually a veggie and some finger foods
3:00 6oz bottle of EBM or formula
5:00 Breastfeed
5:30 Dinner - Usually a finger food (toast or rice cake) then something savory followed by fruit
7:45 7oz bottle of formula
8:00 Bed

Thank You

Looks great hun :thumbup:.

hi ladies ano people might jump on me but i started my baby on abit of baby porrage 2 day as she has stated takin 9oz bottles evey 2 hrs the last 3 days and wow what a diffrence she is soo much more happy an content she had some at 9 then 6 and she is now out for the count.

when do i start with diffrent foods?

hi ladies ano people might jump on me but i started my baby on abit of baby porrage 2 day as she has stated takin 9oz bottles evey 2 hrs the last 3 days and wow what a diffrence she is soo much more happy an content she had some at 9 then 6 and she is now out for the count.

when do i start with diffrent foods?

Hi hun. Guidelines r 17 wks for early weaning. Did u give hungry baby formula a try?

If u think she's doing fine & u want to continue weaning her at this early age, my advise is to stick to what u'r currently giving her without increasing quantities or adding meals & wait until she's 17 wks before introducing different food.

Baby rice is bland & it doesnt usually mess up with babies system (please try to stick to plain baby rice at this stage) - some special formulas for babies with reflux have rice powder as a thickener. But introducing sth else at this very early stage is not good for their system & might increase risks of allergies.

thanks hunny yep shes been on hungry baby since 3 weeks. i will she has about 1 tables spoon of it of a moring. then 7oz. what foods do u start giving at 17 weeks?

thanks hunny yep shes been on hungry baby since 3 weeks. i will she has about 1 tables spoon of it of a moring. then 7oz. what foods do u start giving at 17 weeks?

U can start with veggies 1st. Introduce one veggie at the beginning & wait 2-3 days before intoducing sth new. U can start with carrots, butternut squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes.. u can boil one veggie until really soft then puree using the veggie water. U can start by adding little veggie puree to the baby rice, then reduce the amount of rice until she's having veggie only. Once u intoruce several veggies, u can start mixing veggies puree.

Wait some time before introducing fruits as babies most of the time love fruits sweetness & it would be difficult to introduce veggies later if u start with fruits.

Keep in mind that there is a major growth spurt at 3 mnths & ur LO will ask for more feeds which is normal, & it should settle after few days.

At this age Formula should be the main source of nutrient & she should not drop her milk intake at this early age. Solids should be given in addition to her regular milk feeds (the recomended amounts for her age & size). Good luck hun xx

tar hun yep she has them after her bottles ive started stocking up on jars i got her the hip veg an fruit 1s do i not give these till later on?

tar hun yep she has them after her bottles ive started stocking up on jars i got her the hip veg an fruit 1s do i not give these till later on?

My advise, dont stock lots of jars. I started weaning at week 20. Omar hated all veggie jars & only took few fruits jars. Get 1 jar of each kind & check 1st what she likes. Start with jars only when she's 4 mnths old.

I weaned early due to reflux which is sth different. Omar got more sick from home made puree & I had to use jars, but he wasnt keen on the veggie ones. If u want to give jars at 1st instead of home made puree it's ok, I guess hipp organic jars r balanced.

I didnt prepare puree as Omar hated all of them & it made him more sick & I didnt want to mess up with his reflux. I only offered him jars but I wasnt taking weaning seriously as he's not a big eater & he was dropping milk feeds.

Hi All,

After some help :) My little girl is 21 weeks and we have just started to wean her on the advice of the HV! My LO will put food in her mouth but then doesnt no what to do with it and spits it all back out. Is this normal for her age?

It has been a week and i am giving her jars of puree. Shall i try baby rice tomorrow and start with that??

Sorry the HV just told me to wean and gave me no advice!!!!!

Thanks all xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->