TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

Nmwb78 - Omar and my LO sound very alike. She won't really eat finger foods and I have to break stuff up and feed it to her and she'll eat it, but not at the moment though. I had nothing left in the house to try her on this morning as had tried nearly everything without success. Anyway as a last resort I offered her some of OH rice crispies and she ate a couple of teaspoons of them but nothing really again! :cry:

She has all her milk from sippy cups but won't hold them herself. She just shakes them, turns them upside down and eats the bottom of them. :dohh:
Hasn't really developed the pincer grip either. She just flicks everything around her tray or squashes it in her fist...so frustrating. I don't know what to do? :shrug:

Beginning to get quite concerned as she isn't crawling yet and has made no attempt to, isn't pulling herself up on furniture, won't eat, won't hold her own sippy cup...she basically isn't doing anything that babies alot younger than her are doing. I know you shouldn't compare as babies develop at their own speed but she seems to be lagging behind in everything. :cry:

Nmwb78 - Omar and my LO sound very alike. She won't really eat finger foods and I have to break stuff up and feed it to her and she'll eat it, but not at the moment though. I had nothing left in the house to try her on this morning as had tried nearly everything without success. Anyway as a last resort I offered her some of OH rice crispies and she ate a couple of teaspoons of them but nothing really again! :cry:

She has all her milk from sippy cups but won't hold them herself. She just shakes them, turns them upside down and eats the bottom of them. :dohh:
Hasn't really developed the pincer grip either. She just flicks everything around her tray or squashes it in her fist...so frustrating. I don't know what to do? :shrug:

Beginning to get quite concerned as she isn't crawling yet and has made no attempt to, isn't pulling herself up on furniture, won't eat, won't hold her own sippy cup...she basically isn't doing anything that babies alot younger than her are doing. I know you shouldn't compare as babies develop at their own speed but she seems to be lagging behind in everything. :cry:

:hugs::hugs: Omar still cant hold his cup, he gets frustrated when I offer him food to hold or play with, he doesnt know how to put his dummy in his mouth, he's not crawling yet (he's been standing on 4 for 2.5 mnths, & leaps forward). last wk the only thing he was eating is Heinz baby custard & yoghurt :shrug: If I try sth else he would gag & throw up. He loves spinning things instead of holding them, he didnt develop the prince grip yet. He pulls himself to sitting & standing (not on furniture, only on us) but he loves to stand up since he was tiny. But he's very vocal, & so good with comunicating. He's very alert, smart, too noisey, obsessed about details, pays attention when we speak to him & answers back. He immitates us, & expresses himself very well. Babies r difr hun. Btw, Omar doesnt even have teeth yet :haha:

Thank you...Omar and Megan sound very alike. He is gorgeous by the way and looks like quite a big baby despite his sometimes faddy eating. She did manage some yoghurt for lunch so maybe she is following along the same lines as him food wise too. :wacko:

Thank you...Omar and Megan sound very alike. He is gorgeous by the way and looks like quite a big baby despite his sometimes faddy eating. She did manage some yoghurt for lunch so maybe she is following along the same lines as him food wise too. :wacko:

Thnks hun. Yeah he's a big baby, but not a big eater since he was tiny. His paed. is never worried about his eating as he sleeps well & his weight gain is steady, this is why I stopped worrying. Hope things get better with Megan. They go through phases, & as long as she's happy & content there is nothing to worry about :hugs:

Thnks hun. Yeah he's a big baby, but not a big eater since he was tiny. His paed. is never worried about his eating as he sleeps well & his weight gain is steady, this is why I stopped worrying. Hope things get better with Megan. They go through phases, & as long as she's happy & content there is nothing to worry about :hugs:

talk about the worrying! its horrible. im the same now - rhys takes very little milk but lots of food and is a bigbaby!! still puts on weight and growing tall so im happy as is his ped.

got rhys one of them net feeing thingies. i love it!! he can have banana without getting messy and it tastes nicer than his rattle lol xx

got rhys one of them net feeing thingies. i love it!! he can have banana without getting messy and it tastes nicer than his rattle lol xx

Did he eat banana well before using one? I have one but forgot :dohh: and Chloe loves banana in things, like her porridge or puddings but give her one on it's own and she is not impressed . . . I'm wondering if it's the texture she doesn't like? :shrug:

Did he eat banana well before using one? I have one but forgot :dohh: and Chloe loves banana in things, like her porridge or puddings but give her one on it's own and she is not impressed . . . I'm wondering if it's the texture she doesn't like? :shrug:

he was very tempramental with banana before but he eats it will with the feeder. he either used to mush it in his hands or just not want to bother at all :) xx

:thumbup: Thanks - will try her with it in the net feeder :D

I've stayed away from the Weaning threads as I'm getting more and more demoralised ....

Andrew will happily have half-a-weetabix first thing in the morning. He will also happily eat a fromage-frais for an early lunch. He's having around 500ml total formula milk a day, mostly early morning and late afternoon though he "grazes" during the day too.

But I just cannot get him to eat anything for tea! He used to eat some St1 foods, and also some of my own frozen purees. But since trying to progress him onto St2 foods, he's become a pain to feed - basically he doesn't want it. If I give up on savoury food and give him fruit or pudding, he'll eat a bit of that (half-a-dozen spoon tips) but not much.

I've recently tried him with egg - thrown up. I'm at a loss, I feel he should be getting some food with protein, but he's just not interested. I sometimes give him soft handheld food, toast fingers, etc to see if he'd prefer BLW but he doesn't even want to put that into his mouth (unlike his toys).

I don't suppose anybody would like to take my baby away and return him when he's fully weaned? ;) We've got a dietitian appointment in a few weeks but I don't know how much help she'll be - we know what we should be feeding him, but he won't eat it.

Ditto everything MarleysGirl said :cry:

Awwww SB, you too? :kiss: If I get any helpful suggestions from the dietitian, I'll let you know.

Marleysgirl & Sb22 - :hi: Just wanted to offer my support. I'm going through the exact same thing at the moment with Megan. She used to eat great, pureed fish, chicken & veggies, tiny amounts compared to most babies but at least she was eating. She's refused solids completely except for cheerios, toast and yoghurt for over a week now. She won't eat lumps of any sort. She'll only eat toast if I break bits off and feed it to her. It's so worrying. :cry:

One bit of advice I did have was to try doing carpet picnics and put an array of food infront of her and just let her play and squish stuff. Well we did and she did infact pick up cheerios for the first time and eat one so I guess it did some good. Now though all she'll eat at breakfast are a few dried cheerios. I console myself thinking at least it is something and I guess it is iron fortified. She also sees a nutritionist but like you said, I know what she should be eating, its just getting her to eat it. :dohh:

Awwww SB, you too? :kiss: If I get any helpful suggestions from the dietitian, I'll let you know.

I am proper stuck. Its seriously bothering me, and shes older too :s

I am proper stuck. Its seriously bothering me, and shes older too :s

Omar was eating almost everything & was sooo good with lumps & hard food. Now other than baby custard, fromage frais & fruit yoghurt, he's not eating anything. He's only taking 3 bottles 4 ozs each.

ETA: if I try to give him sth else, he gags & throws up

What is up with our babies? Is there some unspoken rule that babies cannot eat lumpy food during months without an R in them? ;)

We've had a little more success this morning. Rather than give him fromage-frais for lunch and meat/pudding for tea, I swapped them around (thinking maybe he's just not hungry in the afternoon). He had some lamb dinner from a St2 pouch, I made it less thick by adding some milk too. He didn't eat much but it was enough to prove it's not the taste that's the problem, just consistency and/or timing.

Feeling a bit better now!

Edit. And he's eaten almost all a FF this afternoon. I wonder if he'll keep going tomorrow!

Nmwb78 - So sorry to hear about Omar. Strange he has reduced his milk so much too. I know everyone says this but could he be teething or coming down with something? Mind you, Megan is doing basically the same thing now. It's so frustrating. She'll eat Cheerios (dry) but refuses to touch them if they're in milk, soy yoghurt (as she has cows milk protein allergy) and tiny sandwiches made with soy soft cheese. Everything else is refused. She mastered the pincer grip last week and now won't accept anything except yoghurt from a spoon. Unfortunately though she still won't eat anything lumpy but will eat Cheerios and sandwiches but won't pick up a vegetable or fruit, just mushes them and rubs them in her hair. It's driving me insane! :dohh:

Sb22 - Huge :hugs: to you. Sorry I can't offer any advice as I'm in the same boat. At least you know you're not alone and other babies have food issues too.

Marleysgirl - :wohoo: Fantastic that you had a break through. Hoping it continues for you. (And August doesn't have an "r" in it! :haha:

Another good day today!

7am - weetabix; (formula) milk
9am - more milk
11am - fromage frais; milk
1pm - milk
3pm - lamb dinner (again mixed with milk to make more liquid); banana pudding
5pm - milk
7pm - night-time milk

Omar managed to hold a sandwich & eat it today. So proud of him :) He also had mince, rice & yoghurt for lunch & some mangoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->