TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

We are traditional weaning too!

I had those feeders & threw them away - I was so sick of trying to get the tiny pieces of food unstuck when washing them - I'd wash them 4-5 x's before they would look 100% clean. Mushy fruit worked well in them (banana, peaches, pears).

Megan loves food. She now could care less about her formula which is a constant battle as I dont want her to give up her formula yet. I give her formula in sippy cups with meals to try to get another 1-2 oz in her.

We started with baby rice- then added jars of veggie. She still has lots of jars though I try to blend up my own. She used to gag or spit out anything with a lump or any finger food at all. Then one day a few weeks ago she all of a sudden "chewed" and swallowed! She's now picking up foods to feed herself but she's mostly still spoon fed. She would love to feed herself with the spoon as well - she doesnt want a spoon to play with as if theres no food on it she gets mad! She's too dependent on spooned foods to not have them - she wont just have finger foods as a meal as she doesnt get enough to fill up and she'll get frusterated if I dont offer the spoon after a few bites of her finger foods. She is honestly the messiest eater I've ever seen- and its because she's so into her food. (And I used to do daycare - so have traditionally weaned multiple children!) She's on stage 2 gerber foods (here stage 2 is just thicker - no lumps). Thinking instead of stage 3 just doing more homemade food for her since she's ok with lumps now.

She eats rice cereal or oatmeal(porridge) 3'xs a day. She has veggie or fruit with each meal. She has yogurt sometimes for lunch & then less cereal. I plan to keep offering the cereal since its one way I can get formula in her - since she's decreased her bottles so much. Her dr said she doesnt need meat yet since she's getting iron in the cereal so we arent rushing to offer meats yet.

Finger foods she's tried: Gerber puffs, breads, english muffin, banana, green bean, broccoli, grapes (cut in tiny pieces), blueberries (3rd), cottage cheese, cheddar & string cheese, cheese curd.

Someone mentioned strawberry- and another mentioned eggs. I was told no real strawberries til 1 year - that processed strawberries were ok though. Also was told no eggs - no scrambled eggs- boiled eggs, etc til 1 year. Was told eggs were only ok as an ingredient in baked goods,etc. Must be a u.s. thing?

I was confused about the strawberry thing too!

As far as I know eggs are OK as long as they're cooked properly??

Zach has alot of trouble with eating lumps and gags even when holding some foods! I spoke to my HV who has said to me i need to sort this out before he gets too old as it could become a real problem she said i need to let him feel foods so just put them on his high chair which i havent done as i am so funny about mess (which i know is stupid but its just one of my things lol) so i let him loose with some pasta tomatoes etc and while he mainly just played with it he did bite some bits of pasta off and sucked the tomatoes etc so hopefully we are getting somewhere!

Yes i did want to cry at the mess lol!!

https://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb90/Bethm8701/Baby/P1010162.jpg

okay just read this all, this might sound dumb, but two of you were saying things about it maybe being too hot,
but I didn't know you even had to warm it up? :rofl: which purees do I warm up?

rome, you can heat any of the purees up i just put them in the microwave for 10 or 15 secs :)

hey iv only just seen this thread :) alice has started having food properly for about a week now and i cant seem to find anything she really likes. the first thing she had was sweet potato which she seemed to like but then when she had it a few more times she wasnt bothered atall. she also has banana and pear pudding which she was opening her mouth for wanting more bu then when she had it again she wasnt fussed and just pulled faces.
i know we have only just started properly but im just gettin worried that im doing something wrong, when i gave her a bit of toast to chew she was fine and ate it and the same with a bit of banana but when i give her stuff off the spoon she gags and pulls faces.
is this how they all start off? how long does it take them to actually really want the food? xxx

okay just read this all, this might sound dumb, but two of you were saying things about it maybe being too hot,
but I didn't know you even had to warm it up? :rofl: which purees do I warm up?

rome, you can heat any of the purees up i just put them in the microwave for 10 or 15 secs :)

hey iv only just seen this thread :) alice has started having food properly for about a week now and i cant seem to find anything she really likes. the first thing she had was sweet potato which she seemed to like but then when she had it a few more times she wasnt bothered atall. she also has banana and pear pudding which she was opening her mouth for wanting more bu then when she had it again she wasnt fussed and just pulled faces.
i know we have only just started properly but im just gettin worried that im doing something wrong, when i gave her a bit of toast to chew she was fine and ate it and the same with a bit of banana but when i give her stuff off the spoon she gags and pulls faces.
is this how they all start off? how long does it take them to actually really want the food? xxx

Mine wasnt so eager about purees or baby food. I thought I have a picky baby. But when we started proper weaning at 6.5 mnths he really enjoyed eating real food. Now he eats what we eat, & have pieces of fruits in his yoghurt & cereals.

Sorry to crash but I've never heard that about strawberries before! I was giving Charlie strawberrie's today (have given him them quite often over the past month)... Why is it they can't have them until a year? Charlie's 10 months x

Sorry to crash but I've never heard that about strawberries before! I was giving Charlie strawberrie's today (have given him them quite often over the past month)... Why is it they can't have them until a year? Charlie's 10 months x

Allergies. The same with eggs. but guidelines r not the same everywhere. IF u'r LO is fine with taking strawberries & no allergic reaction u can continue giving it :thumbup:

Daisybee, thanks so much - your post was so informative! My doctor also said no strawberries or eggs until 1 year, so I think it's definitely a US thing.

Ok, here comes my dumb question for you all - how much milk do you mix in with the rice or oatmeal? And then do you reduce the accompanying bottle by that amount? She has a 5oz bottle at a time right now while at daycare, so I freeze my milk in 5oz bags. So if I mix 2oz in with rice, then does she drink a 3oz bottle with that, or do I try to get her to take a 5oz bottle? Or should I space the baby rice an hour or so apart from her bottle/BF? I'd like to start freezing my milk into appropriate portions in preparation for beginning weaning in the next couple weeks. Thanks!

Daisybee, thanks so much - your post was so informative! My doctor also said no strawberries or eggs until 1 year, so I think it's definitely a US thing.

Ok, here comes my dumb question for you all - how much milk do you mix in with the rice or oatmeal? And then do you reduce the accompanying bottle by that amount? She has a 5oz bottle at a time right now while at daycare, so I freeze my milk in 5oz bags. So if I mix 2oz in with rice, then does she drink a 3oz bottle with that, or do I try to get her to take a 5oz bottle? Or should I space the baby rice an hour or so apart from her bottle/BF? I'd like to start freezing my milk into appropriate portions in preparation for beginning weaning in the next couple weeks. Thanks!

How much milk I add in depends on how much cereal. When she first started with the cereal I made it pretty thin (more milk)- now she likes it thicker. I dont reduce any bottle - if she'll take a bottle then I'm giving it to her. She - on her own has taken less oz even though I offer the formula 1st. If I offer less bottles then she doesnt increase the amount taken in the next bottle so she's taking less but more often. I would continue offering what she is used to - and see how much she takes. She might slow down a bit with the ebm but if she's willing to still take 5oz I would give it to her. Her bm should still be an important part of her day. Megan has a bottle around 6, 10, 1, 3, 6. I'm still having to offer 5 bottles because otherwise she isnt drinking enough. She has her meals at 8, 12, & 4:30.

I was also told no cow's milk til age 1 (though cheese & yogurt is ok). Told no nuts or nut butters (peanut, almond, etc), no shellfish, & of course honey.

When I first started weaning at 6 months I just gave one veg for a week, then moved onto another veg for a week, just to test for allergies and stuff. Then I moved up to giving Chloe Porridge in the morning which she loves!!! and then lunch of veggy purée.

Now she is on 3 meals a day. She has Porridge for breakfast (mixed with her Lactose Free formula), a purée for lunch which I make and freeze, this week its Cod and Butternut Squash :) (I am trying to do them more lumpier but it never works and always is too soft!!), then a yoghurt and some fruit for dinner.

Does that sound about right?? I'm so rubbish with this weaning! I was too scared to move upto 3 meals a day for minths and only when hv told me off last month I added in dinner. Don't ask me why I was scared........I don't know :dohh:

I am still trying with finger foods but she doesn't care for them or she gets frustrated and crys :-( Though I gave her bread on the weekend and she ate that all up...no problems :happydance: Will just keep trying I guess.

Anyway, here is a pic of Chloe

First day weaning with Baby Rice - 6 months
24253_419102146048_609906048_5434087_6270371_n.jpg

This weekend - 8 months
36946_444543851048_609906048_6090368_6191306_n.jpg

^ Thats a great idea! Could this be used from as early as 4 months do you think? I guess it would be the same as pureed food as it still has to go through the little holes right? x

Yes :) I heard about them last year when a friend of mine came back from the states ... when I looked for them they were really expensive and then suddenly they appeared in Asda, so I bought some for when Kaylum starts weaning.

He's a way off yet, but Tattie is intending to go down the TW route, so they will come in handy - they reduce the choking risk soooo much :happydance:

For washing them I'd probably go with a bottle brush and running water :)

What do you think about watermelon in a self feeder thingy? Or just the normal yellow melon?

When I first started weaning at 6 months I just gave one veg for a week, then moved onto another veg for a week, just to test for allergies and stuff. Then I moved up to giving Chloe Porridge in the morning which she loves!!! and then lunch of veggy purée.

Now she is on 3 meals a day. She has Porridge for breakfast (mixed with her Lactose Free formula), a purée for lunch which I make and freeze, this week its Cod and Butternut Squash :) (I am trying to do them more lumpier but it never works and always is too soft!!), then a yoghurt and some fruit for dinner.

Does that sound about right?? I'm so rubbish with this weaning! I was too scared to move upto 3 meals a day for minths and only when hv told me off last month I added in dinner. Don't ask me why I was scared........I don't know :dohh:

I am still trying with finger foods but she doesn't care for them or she gets frustrated and crys :-( Though I gave her bread on the weekend and she ate that all up...no problems :happydance: Will just keep trying I guess.

Anyway, here is a pic of Chloe

First day weaning with Baby Rice - 6 months
View attachment 94767

This weekend - 8 months
View attachment 94764

She's so cute :)

Omar still skips dinner sometimes. I started introducing a 3rd meal at 7mnths. But he started to drop his milk intake. As for lumps he eats what we eat at lunch & he chews with no problems. Finger food is a hassle for us. I also gave him bread & held his hand to his mouth, after few bites he ate it with no problems. Other than that no success. He throws it at us & opens his mouth & expects me to feed him. Yesterday I tried with a rice cake & ended up cutting it into small pieces & feeding him :shrug:

wanted to add also..i knew its not strictlty TW but i gave rhys a piece of cucumber today and he sucked it for ages but after his hands got wet and the cucumber got slimey he got really aggrivated cos he couldnt hold it!! ive never had to wipe a cucumber before!! x

TW does include finger food - it just means that they get spoon fed as well.

Any mushy food will work in those sieve feeders (melon, green beans, carrots, potatoes)- it did help me feel better about her not choking and was helpful as she is so independent! I would literally have to pick off tiny specks of food though - while running under water. I'd put it in the dishwasher when I thought it looked clean & then when it would come out I'd realized there was still more flecks to pick off! If Megan wasnt ok with lumpier food or pieces of things yet I would have continued with the hassle of cleaning them so she could use them. But since she's now ok with pieces - its not worth it.

Megan doesnt always pick up her finger food - or she'll pick it up and then its in her palm vs her fingers and when she thinks she puts it in her mouth it drops in her lap. So I do help her out as I would prefer she learn to eat/chew than worry about that she needs a little help.

Photo nicked from Amazon:
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31BlAHEC00L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Andrew has melon or banana in his, they're his favourites!

Wow, a TW thread. Could have done with this months ago ... Yes, I said months, that's how long we've been on Stage 1 foods. We've had a few stops and starts, due to health issues with Andrew, but as of last week we're back on with three meals a day, and he's really enjoying them!

Now he's done a week of jarred foods, I'm re-starting the home purees. I've got a huge range of vegetables, fruits and meat pureed and frozen in ice cubes, so that we can mix and match meals. I've even frozen second halves of jars, so they don't get wasted.

I'd love to go down the BLW route but Andrew can only just see over the tray of his highchair, he's still so small! A cushion wouldn't help because of the harness, I think I'm going to have to custom-cut a piece of foam to fit. The other fun with him being small is portioning, I think most babies eat a whole jar of St.1 food but he's so tiny that he only eats half a jar at a time.

What liquid do you all mix in your purees? At first we plan to mix cereals with EBM, but when we begin pureeing vegetables and freezing, should we mix with EBM or with water? What do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->