Type1 Insulin Pumpers & pregnant?? Any advice

Thanks kellyrae, I've just spent the last 4 days in the rothunda hospital sortin out my basal rates, they've regulated much quicker than last time:) so I'm hoping for a much easier time this time round! Hope everything goes ok for u too :)

I am now experiencing insulin resisitence!!! Great!! Heading to the IWK on Wednesday..hoping this get sorted out!

I am now experiencing insulin resisitence!!! Great!! Heading to the IWK on Wednesday..hoping this get sorted out!
Hi, dee, has this only just stared?
I'm waiting for mine to start creeping in soon, think I was about 18 weeks first time although it wasn't too severe.
You just get used to controlling bloods one way then it all changes again, drives me mad!!
:ope you get it sorted soon enough though xx

Yeah..for about the last week I have been having issues. My doc said to expect it. When I was pregnant with our DD I ended up taking 3X more insulin in the end. I was on needles then.This sucks. Being pregnant is tiring enough..but now to have high blood sugars..makes me even more tired.:sleep:

Hey,

How's everyone getting on in the run up to Christmas???

Hope everyone is keeping well and not being too naughty when the Christmas treats break out!

Fortunately, I've just managed to bust my way out of the hospital following a truly horrendous bout of sickness (I have suffered with HG since 5.5 weeks).

Has anyone else experienced HG whilst being on an insulin pump? I was really unwell, but managed to keep hold of my pump! They were adamant that they wanted to take me off it and put me on a sliding scale - Can someone please tell me what the point of this would be??? I was doing all my own BMs, my pump is already set to a basal rate that works for me and I can adjust it without having to call a nurse to toggle it...so why did they see fit to mess about with it?

It would be like saying to someone with a working pancreas, it works, but we think we wil mess about and put you on another drip just for the hell of it???:shrug: (Though really its because you understand it far better than us doctors, so we feel threatened and will just do it our way instead even if it works out worse for you!) :dohh:

OK, Rant over!

So I thought I would find out how everyone got on over the Christmas period?

Hope everyone is well and had a good few weeks!

My bump has come in in the last few weeks, but unfortunately I'm still having sudden and unexplained hypos - so it doesn't look as though the second tri will be any easier for me! :cry:

Oh well, how's everyone else?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this group, i'm type 1 diabetic and have just found out a couple of weeks ago i'm expecting #3! Happy and surprised! Got my scan booked for the 29th, no idea how far along i am, at the moment i'm somewhere between 6 and 10 weeks Lol! Not on a pump as i'm managing okay with the injections but i don't know if that will change. I'm having alot of hypos though!

My bump has come in in the last few weeks, but unfortunately I'm still having sudden and unexplained hypos - so it doesn't look as though the second tri will be any easier for me! :cry:

Hi there...christmas was great although I did miss my glass of baileys :)
My bump is rather big now!!! 2 stone I have gained and I am currently the same weight I was when I gave birth to my first :wacko:

Can see a gym membership being set in stone for the summer!!!

My hba1 is at 5.4 at the moment so really pleased......no resistance as yet although my bolus rates are higher at mealtimes now but my basal is only up by 1 unit from pre pregnancy so far.
Not sure how long that will be for but for now i'm not complaining.

I have got my 20 week scan on the 22nd jan so looking forward to hopefully finding out if we are blue or pink....baby heart scan on 24th too.

Only downside at the moment is I am suffering with obstetric cholestasis which is driving me up the wall with the itching skin :cry:

Hi everyone! I'm new to this group, i'm type 1 diabetic and have just found out a couple of weeks ago i'm expecting #3! Happy and surprised! Got my scan booked for the 29th, no idea how far along i am, at the moment i'm somewhere between 6 and 10 weeks Lol! Not on a pump as i'm managing okay with the injections but i don't know if that will change. I'm having alot of hypos though!

Congrats on your pregnancy :happydance:

I was on injections with my first and found it just as easy to control, although the hypos were worse I have found and more often but I think thats more to do with being able to have a finer tuning of insulin with the pump.
Good luck with your scan, and keep us posted how you get on :flower:

Thanks! :) Really excited and will be glad to know how far along i really am, as its driving me mad not knowing! Good luck with your pregnancy too x

Hi there...christmas was great although I did miss my glass of baileys :)
My bump is rather big now!!! 2 stone I have gained and I am currently the same weight I was when I gave birth to my first :wacko:

Can see a gym membership being set in stone for the summer!!!

My hba1 is at 5.4 at the moment so really pleased......no resistance as yet although my bolus rates are higher at mealtimes now but my basal is only up by 1 unit from pre pregnancy so far.
Not sure how long that will be for but for now i'm not complaining.

I have got my 20 week scan on the 22nd jan so looking forward to hopefully finding out if we are blue or pink....baby heart scan on 24th too.

Only downside at the moment is I am suffering with obstetric cholestasis which is driving me up the wall with the itching skin :cry:

Congrats on your pregnancy :happydance:

I was on injections with my first and found it just as easy to control, although the hypos were worse I have found and more often but I think thats more to do with being able to have a finer tuning of insulin with the pump.
Good luck with your scan, and keep us posted how you get on :flower:

Oohh, I've got my 20 week scan on 31st so not far behind! We've decided to stay team yellow though and DH will be the one to tell me what we have on the big day.

I hope the itching clears up soon:flower: and I know what you mean about missing a glass of tipple over Christmas - we had champagne (well I didn't) when we told the family at a Christmas meal and as quickly as mine was poured, it was taken off me!

I've just had another bout of morning sickness today, when mixed with hypos its absolute magic! There's nothing like trying to keep down lucozade whilst feeling rough.

Has anyone started to think about the big L&D day(s)? I know induction is likely, CFM is likely, in addition to a sliding scale insulin drip - does anyone have any experience where they have managed to stay in control of L&D and away from CFM? I don't mind being kept a regular eye on with a doppler, but I want to be able to move - there's nothing worse than being stuck to a hospital bed!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! The pregnancy may open up all sorts of opportunities for treatment - I was offered continuous glucose monitoring the other day - even more expensive then the £3000 pump! Good luck with the scan - It will be a busy few days for everyone!

:happydance:

Not long till our scans! :) can't wait and it will feel much more real. I think we are going to leave the gender as a surprise on our second scan, my friend doesn't know what she is having and she is very excited!

Managed to get sorted with a prescription last night, £18 in taxi's, fuming but needs must!
Got my levels down from 15mmol to 5mmol so pleased, but still scared as i don't want the high levels. My first 2 pregnancies were a walk in the park compared to this one, i was slow onset type 1 until recently so was still producing some of my own insulin (just not enough to keep the targets)

Hope everyone else is well x

Hi ladies! I haven't posted on this thread in a while been in baby club! :D but I had a question hat I feel you ladies may be able to answer :D how early in pregnancy did you start getting hypos? Was that a first sign pf pregnancy for any of you?

Hi ladies! I haven't posted on this thread in a while been in baby club! :D but I had a question hat I feel you ladies may be able to answer :D how early in pregnancy did you start getting hypos? Was that a first sign pf pregnancy for any of you?

Mine were around 4-6 weeks pregnant....not bad hypos at first but blood sugars were scarily well behaved and then started dropping unexpectedly....

Had my anatomy scan yesterday :)
Team pink :pink:
So pleased......just got her heart scan on thursday then we can look forward to the growth scans eeeek its going so fast this time around!!!

My sugars are being reasonable at the moment although I did have a day where it just wouldn't go below 10 but the day after it was fine so I havn't the foggiest what was going on.

Hope everyone is well :flower:

I haven't suffered from the hypos in pregnancy until i had to up the insulin to get my 1hour reading under 7.8mmol, rather than the 2hour reading, so in my case the hypos only started when i upped the insulin.

Can i just ask when did everyone start with insulin resistance? I'm still only on smallish amounts of insulin at the moment (injection regime rather than pump) so i'm dreading the big amounts, last pregnancy i was on around 30 units of novorapid with small meals (lowish carb too!) and my weight didn't go above 9 stone that pregnancy, so i'm dreading all that insulin again.

Congrats kelly thats lovely your on team pink! :) hoping all goes well thursday. Not long now until my scan next tuesday, can't wait!

I haven't suffered from the hypos in pregnancy until i had to up the insulin to get my 1hour reading under 7.8mmol, rather than the 2hour reading, so in my case the hypos only started when i upped the insulin.

Can i just ask when did everyone start with insulin resistance? I'm still only on smallish amounts of insulin at the moment (injection regime rather than pump) so i'm dreading the big amounts, last pregnancy i was on around 30 units of novorapid with small meals (lowish carb too!) and my weight didn't go above 9 stone that pregnancy, so i'm dreading all that insulin again.

Congrats kelly thats lovely your on team pink! :) hoping all goes well thursday. Not long now until my scan next tuesday, can't wait!

Thanks hun, not long for yours :)
when I was on injections and preggers with my first my long acting insulin only went up 4 units per day and my insulin went from 1unit per 10grams of carbs to 2units per 10 grams so mine didnt really go up too much compared to some ladies that I met. Mine did't start till around 24 weeks.

This time My long amount is up by only 1 unit so far and at meal times I am already at 2.5 units per 10grams carbs from my pre preg of 1 unit.
Still not much though but theres still time yet :)

Hi All :hi:

I'm type 1 (on a pump) and just found out a week and a half ago that I'm expecting. I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow! Have definitely already noticed a decrease in my insulin needs which was one of my first signs.

I was a bit nervous to find out my A1C as I hadn't actually had it checked before becoming pregnant but found out on Monday that it is at 6.4:thumbup: and I couldn't be happier!

Congrats to you all!!

Hi All :hi:

I'm type 1 (on a pump) and just found out a week and a half ago that I'm expecting. I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow! Have definitely already noticed a decrease in my insulin needs which was one of my first signs.

I was a bit nervous to find out my A1C as I hadn't actually had it checked before becoming pregnant but found out on Monday that it is at 6.4:thumbup: and I couldn't be happier!

Congrats to you all!!

Hi there MRV!!! Hope you are feeling well and not having too many problems so far :)
I have to go for laser treatment in both eyes on thursday :( not looking forward to that...i'm hoping I may get a date booked for my csection seen as it will be elective this time, have any of you known early on that it would be an elective and if so when did you get a date?
My next scan is in 3 weeks :) can't wait to see my little Rosalie again :) first of the growth scans......starting to get a little impatient now though, I want to meet her although I suppose its only another 13 weeks now :happydance:

Hope you are all doing well and your babies are blooming :flower:

Hi,

I've not been on for a while, been out doing a lot of shopping as I figure that I'll be too shattered when the third tri hits!

How's everyone getting on?

I think I've hit a little resistance, but it only seems to be at lunch time, for the rest of the day I seem to end up chugging lucozade. :dohh: Has anyone else experienced this?

Yesterday I ended up eating 2 Krispy Kreme donuts (the filled ones)(with no bolus) whilst sitting at my desk at work, and still only having a blood glucose of 4!

hey louisac, ive been fighting with my retinopathy and laser treatment these past couple of weeks, my bloods are still fairly low too considering im 25 weeks now, still waiting for resistance to kick in......have my first growth scan in 3 weeks :) we shall see if shes going to be big or not.
I have also been guzzling lucozade, think i went through 3 litre bottles last week :-\

hey louisac, ive been fighting with my retinopathy and laser treatment these past couple of weeks, my bloods are still fairly low too considering im 25 weeks now, still waiting for resistance to kick in......have my first growth scan in 3 weeks :) we shall see if shes going to be big or not.
I have also been guzzling lucozade, think i went through 3 litre bottles last week :-\

I can completely sympathise!

Is it bad to be looking forward to resistance?

How did the laser treatment go? Hope all is now well. I had my eyes screened in clinic again today and the Drs are happy with them at the minute, but they're very unhappy with the BMs, thing is they look at me as though I'm doing something deliberately to hurt baby - which just hurts when I'm there, working my ar$e off to try and stay stable. :shrug:

Fingers crossed for the growth scan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->