Type1 Insulin Pumpers & pregnant?? Any advice

Got my first appointment with the diabetic pregnancy clinic tomorrow morning, I should know how it all works from before but a bit nervous now :flower:

Hi ladies! I had my little boy on September 28th at 6:00pm..he was 34 & 6 and weighed 7 lbs 1 oz.. hes in the NICU getting his feeds situated and hopefully he comes home soon! It was a pretty intense delivery (labor went well until it was time to push! He was too big for me and got stuck.. I got an episostomy & got a "4 +" degree tear. He had shoulder dystocia and got stuck.. it was a scary situation another Dr came rushing in to get he baby out and then panicking because of me losing too much blood :/baby wasnt doing as well as he should've and I got 5 minutes of skin to skin before he got taken to nicu. I was so bad that I didn't get to see him until 2:00am (he was born at 6:00pm) hes still in the NICU busy establishing feeds and growing well and then he can come home. I'm trying to BF but he doesn't wanna latch and I have nothing :( he did a lot better today with latching on tho so were stil
l trying :) Hes getting fed through a tube if we breastfeed though because he only does it for a minute and they don't wanna do the bottle afterwwards.. or if he gets bottle fed and doesn't finish he gets the rest tube fed :( he has a black eye and a cone share head and a hurt shoulder a little but hes doing much better now :) he hasn't been on oxygen at all :) he did need help.with his lungs right away but hes okay now with breathing :) this is so unreal!

Hi ladies! I had my little boy on September 28th at 6:00pm..he was 34 & 6 and weighed 7 lbs 1 oz.. hes in the NICU getting his feeds situated and hopefully he comes home soon! It was a pretty intense delivery (labor went well until it was time to push! He was too big for me and got stuck.. I got an episostomy & got a "4 +" degree tear. He had shoulder dystocia and got stuck.. it was a scary situation another Dr came rushing in to get he baby out and then panicking because of me losing too much blood :/baby wasnt doing as well as he should've and I got 5 minutes of skin to skin before he got taken to nicu. I was so bad that I didn't get to see him until 2:00am (he was born at 6:00pm) hes still in the NICU busy establishing feeds and growing well and then he can come home. I'm trying to BF but he doesn't wanna latch and I have nothing :( he did a lot better today with latching on tho so were stil
l trying :) Hes getting fed through a tube if we breastfeed though because he only does it for a minute and they don't wanna do the bottle afterwwards.. or if he gets bottle fed and doesn't finish he gets the rest tube fed :( he has a black eye and a cone share head and a hurt shoulder a little but hes doing much better now :) he hasn't been on oxygen at all :) he did need help.with his lungs right away but hes okay now with breathing :) this is so unreal!

Congratulations!!!! Glad to hear he is doing well hun, I totally understand what your going through I had the same after maisie was born, tares your heart up watching them in nicu, but she was fine after 5 days of tube feeds then we weened her onto the bottle :) so please for you and a good weight!!!! Good luck hun and keep us all updated.....hope he's home soon :flower: xx

I really need some advice ladies.......

Last couple of days my bloods have been rather high, yet i dont seem to be able to get them down :wacko: even when constantly correcting, I know this could be insulin resistence but is it normal for it to be happening this early on?

Ive changed my basal rates for the evening to breakfast as its always between 9-13 when i wake up, my ratio for evening and breakfast has also been put up to 1.5units - 10 grams carbs.

Today i have only had 1 slice of toast apart from my evening meal just now yet it has stayed at 10.5-11.5 all day with continuous corrections every hour????

I'm confused and have no idea what the safest thing is to do :nope:

My Dr said in subsequent pregnancies insulin resistance may start earlier.. do u think u might be getting sick? I know that raises my readings..by the way the Dr told me u can never have too much insulin so if u need more than take more :) good luck!

congrats chelsea, its horrible when they go to nicu, hope your not in there long.
kellyrae- i just kept adding insulin until i got it fairly level. just keep an eye for hypos as i find they sometimes crept up on me out of the blue.
Esmae is doing well, 20 weeks friday i cant believe it. we have last lot of jabs and weight check today. im hoping for a good gain. I always worry if my blood are high it effects my milk and it will be high I'm sugar but she's doing fine xx

I really need some advice ladies.......

Last couple of days my bloods have been rather high, yet i dont seem to be able to get them down :wacko: even when constantly correcting, I know this could be insulin resistence but is it normal for it to be happening this early on?

Ive changed my basal rates for the evening to breakfast as its always between 9-13 when i wake up, my ratio for evening and breakfast has also been put up to 1.5units - 10 grams carbs.

Today i have only had 1 slice of toast apart from my evening meal just now yet it has stayed at 10.5-11.5 all day with continuous corrections every hour????

I'm confused and have no idea what the safest thing is to do :nope:
What about trying to decrease your insulin to carb ratio a bit more?:hugs:

Increased both basal at night and ratio during meal times....seems to be working, a different learning curve completely new to me in pregnancy!!! I'm sure its a boy haha:flower:

Ok so last week i was struggling to get them down and now for the last couple of days the hypo's seem to have made an appearance :wacko:

Yesterday they never went higher than 4.3 mmols, I honestly don't know how i functioned trying to look after a hyper 2 year old all day!!!

I don't remember it being this hard the first time around.........:cry:

sending hugs kellyrae. I found 2nd time around was harder because i had caleb to look after to plus the trying to balance hypos out is so difficult when you are looking after your lo.
Hang in there xx

sending hugs kellyrae. I found 2nd time around was harder because i had caleb to look after to plus the trying to balance hypos out is so difficult when you are looking after your lo.
Hang in there xx

Thanks pink......had a long chat with my nurse today, Ive had 12 hypos today already and got tonight to go yet :wacko:
Reduced all my basals and bolus.....I had this with my last so I was expecting it but like you say its so much harder trying to look after a little one aswell. Thank god for my fab husband who works all day then comes home and helps me out big time!!!

My energy levels are zilch and the worse thing is I cant sleep at night because of such bad headaches.
Anyway onwards and upwards I guessroll on second trimester when it calms down and goes hyper!!!!

Hope everyone on this thread is doing ok and new mummys, hope its all going well xxx

Starting to get over my tired hump!! I started on Synthroid a few weeks back as I have recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I have gained 12 lbs already:blush: and feeling huge..but so happy to be pregnant!! I have made a few more changes to my pump as well. I had to put my insulin to carb ratio back up to 1-16 as I was having hypos. My Diabetes Team told to expect some serious insulin resistence in the next few weeks. JOY!! Hope you are all doing well.:hugs:

Starting to get over my tired hump!! I started on Synthroid a few weeks back as I have recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I have gained 12 lbs already:blush: and feeling huge..but so happy to be pregnant!! I have made a few more changes to my pump as well. I had to put my insulin to carb ratio back up to 1-16 as I was having hypos. My Diabetes Team told to expect some serious insulin resistence in the next few weeks. JOY!! Hope you are all doing well.:hugs:

Hiya dee, sounds like your blooming :) I am just starting with the morning sickness :( Hypos seem to be taking over me at the moment now, struggling with detecting them too, but not too many more weeks left till it should calm down and go the opposite way!!! :hugs:

I have found that too.. I use to feel my lows when they were barely low (4.0) Now I am finding I don't feel anything until I am like 2.5 or lower. Very scary..so I test all the time. Morning sickness sucks!! Hope you feel better soon. It is so hard to deal with as you bolus,eat then puke!!Fun FUn!!:hugs:

Hi,

I'm glad to have found this thread.

I have been pumping since April 2010 with the Animas 2020.

Before I found out that we were expecting Pip my sugars were absolutely amazing - always either 4s or 5s.

Since last week, I have noticed that my warning signs have all but disappeared - Bye, bye driving licence :cry:

I actually had quite a bad turn last week when my sugars dropped to 1.1 whilst at work - that was when the paramedics eventually managed to get blood out of my fingers - I managed to lose over an hour and a half that day!

I've also had another episode today - was walking back from the bus stop and thought, I don't feel quite right - did a test and was 1.6 - luckily I managed to get a bottle of lucozade down my neck and even at 1.8 managed to make my way over to a local shop to buy another bottle (I have to admit - I am quite proud of myself for that although I am sure I looked as though I had had a skin full!)

I have already cut my basal - but looks as though the days of 4s and 5s are long gone! :dohh:

Hi Louisa, nice to see another type 1 mummy to be on here, its a scary time isn't it, I have gone as low as 1.6 but luckily I was at home and I have lucozade in every room!! Do you carry a glucogen pen with you? My first pregnancy was bad with hypos, I wouldn't wake up some mornings from having them in my sleep :s this time round its not been as bad but bad enough, especially as I have a 2 year old to care for, which scares me sometimes so I have my husband ring every hour to make sure I am ok.
It does get better though, and actually goes the other way in the 2nd trimester, you will find yourself becoming resistent to the insulin, be safe and always keep testing, that's all we can do for now xx

Hi Louisa, nice to see another type 1 mummy to be on here, its a scary time isn't it, I have gone as low as 1.6 but luckily I was at home and I have lucozade in every room!! Do you carry a glucogen pen with you? My first pregnancy was bad with hypos, I wouldn't wake up some mornings from having them in my sleep :s this time round its not been as bad but bad enough, especially as I have a 2 year old to care for, which scares me sometimes so I have my husband ring every hour to make sure I am ok.
It does get better though, and actually goes the other way in the 2nd trimester, you will find yourself becoming resistent to the insulin, be safe and always keep testing, that's all we can do for now xx

Thanks Kellyrae, sounds like Pip will be giving me sleepless nights well in advance of the night time feeds!

I have been loaded up on Glucogen, hypo stop, hubby actually ended up going out at 2am on a lucozade run because I had decimated my entire stock the other night (I thought it was meant to be me sending him out for ice cream???)

All this lucozade is not doing my figure any good - think I might be over-correcting and then having to do additional insulin - I've gone up by a few kilos already which is not good news - hubby says it myst all be in my boobs as he can't see where its gone! :holly:(I don't know whether that is just flattery - he saw how upset I was when MW told me!)

Just had my first midwife appt - they wanted me booked in early - I was actually fairly disappointed - I was hoping to come away with a date for my dating scan, but she really didn't seem bothered. Will maybe try talking to my diabetic team next week because I actually meet with them in the ante-natal clinic where the scans are carried out - so might see what strings they can pull. (There has to be some advantage sand what my DSN wants, she typically gets)

I'm testing at least 10 times a day - I'm barely awake 10 hours a day atm!!!

How is everyone else getting on?

Hi , I'm just lookin to get info on how peoples pregnancies go on the insulin pump, i'm type 1 diabetic and i've been on the pump since last december. Ive just found out today that i'm about 4-5 weeks pregnant. I've already one little boy who's two and that pregnancy was a bit of a nightmare with 2 hospital admissions and constant unexplained hypos and hypers and a really naggin doctors appt every week!!! Does your basel rate increase by much because i've found myself givin loads of correction doses over the last two weeks, i've to ring the diabetic team tomorrow and heres hopin its not a hospital admission tomorrow evenin like the last time!!

any info at some stage would be really a great help cos i'm already freakin myself out!!

Hi Elaine, try not to freak out too much, I have found the pump much better in pregnancy than being on injections like my last, I've only had the pump since june so I've had to get to know it quite quickly.
Hypos will happen within the first tri as your baby is doing most of its developing therefore taking all of mums sugar!!!! I have dropped my basal rates in the first tri but its starting to creep up again now so time to tweek them again!!!
I also had to adjust my carb ratios too and my correction bolus rates, well my diabetic nurse talked me through it all and seems to have done the trick until they start rising :s what I have found with the pump is much better control, and quick response if my bloods have been slightly higher, don't worry too much about all the corrections as you will find a pattern as to what needs changing, it may be your basal or if its higher after food could be your ratio when eating, here to help so ask any questions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->