uhh... breastfeeding an 8 year old??

i thought that once adult teeth came in, which some kids start getting them around that age, they wouldn't be able to suckle anymore?

more power to any mother that wants to express and give the milk to her child but i do think its a bit odd to have a pre-teen on the breast :s.

The girl in the documentary was actually losing her ability to breastfeed. She was a bit upset at this but her mum explained she was becoming a big girl etc etc.. she knew she would have to stop soon :shrug:

Haven't read the 56 pages... But when I saw this I did think 'yawwwwnnn not this again!' ...

This family were on a UK documentary a few years back and people keep regurgitating it, comparing to Little Britain and using it as 'proof' that it's weird to breastfeed until a child self weans.

The average age for humans worldwide to self-wean is between 2 and 7... it's only over here in the 'civilised' western world that it's seen as strange.

Milk teeth are called 'milk teeth' for a reason and it's possible that an 8 year old will still have some and still have the ability to breastfeed. The girl in the documentary was losing her ability to breastfeed and her older sister told her that eventually her tongue would go stiff and she wouldn't be able to get the milk out. I thought it was fascinating to hear that insight as it's not very often a child can verbalise their experience of breastfeeding as well as these girls did. I think one of them described breastmilk as 'the most beautiful taste in the world' which I thought was just lovely. Yes, 8 is older than average but it's not unheard of. If she can physically still extract the milk then her body may still have a need for it. All children do eventually lose the ability to do it once they no longer need it. The vast majority of breastfed children will self-wean before 8, who cares if this girl didn't?

Humans are the only species who wean their children off the breast before they are ready and who choose to feed their children milk from another species in a way that isn't natural to our biological make-up often in order to 'get the child of the breast'. It's a very sorry state of affairs when the majority of people think that letting nature take its course is wrong.

I've found this thread really interesting I've never seen it done before, the forum would be a lot quieter if we were only allowed to discuss things once :)
I never knew children could lose the ability to latch, I just assumed they'd be able to latch on indefinitely? Hadn't considered self weaning either I thought that was when mum wanted to stop, it's been an interesting read :)

I have found the thread entertaining at times and irritating at others. I'm pregnant with my first and I have every intention of breast feeding provided I am able to do so, however I found the woman breastfeeding an 8 year old rather disturbing. I have already said that I don't think I would want to breast feed past 6 months, although I would continue to express my milk until possibly 18 months. I don't disagree with BFing until probably 3 years old, but I have to admit I find the idea of a child any older than 3 actually feeding from the breast, profoundly disturbing. I hesitate to tread the path of those before by stating it is child abuse per se, but I do think it's unnatural after a certain age and it promotes a level of closeness that again i believe is inappropriate after a certain age.
If I saw a woman BFing a child (and not an infant) I would be very upset by it. I agree with all the people who have said if the child wants the nutrients - express it and give it them in a cup.
Like it or not, breasts ARE sexualized and at the age of 8, I knew full well what 'boobies' were and I never associated them with food ... :)
(I have tried by best to walk the path of non offensive here whilst expressing my honest view, if I failed, it was not on purpose)

I have found the thread entertaining at times and irritating at others. I'm pregnant with my first and I have every intention of breast feeding provided I am able to do so, however I found the woman breastfeeding an 8 year old rather disturbing. I have already said that I don't think I would want to breast feed past 6 months, although I would continue to express my milk until possibly 18 months. I don't disagree with BFing until probably 3 years old, but I have to admit I find the idea of a child any older than 3 actually feeding from the breast, profoundly disturbing. I hesitate to tread the path of those before by stating it is child abuse per se, but I do think it's unnatural after a certain age and it promotes a level of closeness that again i believe is inappropriate after a certain age.
If I saw a woman BFing a child (and not an infant) I would be very upset by it. I agree with all the people who have said if the child wants the nutrients - express it and give it them in a cup.
Like it or not, breasts ARE sexualized and at the age of 8, I knew full well what 'boobies' were and I never associated them with food ... :)
(I have tried by best to walk the path of non offensive here whilst expressing my honest view, if I failed, it was not on purpose)

I think breast are very sexualized...espesially in the USA. Too bad. But, I too wouldn't BF an 8 year old...I have an 8 year old son...and well, he knows what boobies are for (breastfeeding) but that is all he knows...but, he certainly woudn't be breastfeeding...he is much to busy, not to mention to cool to give his mom a kiss in public! lol. He did, however, ask for some breastmilk when Kelana was born last year ( he was 7) and I gave him some in a cup, which he happily drank. No request for some since. I would never breastfeed him...that is something that I, personally would not be comfortable with. I don't know how I would feel seeing it...I guess I would probably wonder if the child wanted to, or the parent. It is very common to see babies 2.5 and younger breastfed here...and no one would bat an eye.

^^ I let Jacob try some too as he asked when I had Kayleigh. He happily drank some, said it was good but didn't continue to ask anymore. Curiosity I think :) I couldn't imagine breastfeeding him now.

^^ I let Jacob try some too as he asked when I had Kayleigh. He happily drank some, said it was good but didn't continue to ask anymore. Curiosity I think :) I couldn't imagine breastfeeding him now.

Yeah def curiosity. I wasn't expecting him to ask tbh...was quite shocked that he drank it, but I didn't want to make it a big deal.

I think breast are very sexualized...espesially in the USA. Too bad. But, I too wouldn't BF an 8 year old...I have an 8 year old son...and well, he knows what boobies are for (breastfeeding) but that is all he knows...but, he certainly woudn't be breastfeeding...he is much to busy, not to mention to cool to give his mom a kiss in public! lol. He did, however, ask for some breastmilk when Kelana was born last year ( he was 7) and I gave him some in a cup, which he happily drank. No request for some since. I would never breastfeed him...that is something that I, personally would not be comfortable with. I don't know how I would feel seeing it...I guess I would probably wonder if the child wanted to, or the parent. It is very common to see babies 2.5 and younger breastfed here...and no one would bat an eye.

I've been kind of lurking and reading this thread and thought I'd go ahead and jump in. I agree with the above in that it's really hard to reconcile extended breastfeeding with cultural differences, especially when it comes to how breasts are perceived. In cultures were this type of extended breastfeeding is common, breasts are perceived as vessels with which nutrients are provided to both babies and children. In cultures where breasts are often viewed in much often more sexual terms, I think it's only natural that women would find the idea disturbing. I'm not saying it's necessarily right or wrong either way. Just making the observation.

Yeah def curiosity. I wasn't expecting him to ask tbh...was quite shocked that he drank it, but I didn't want to make it a big deal.

It caught me off guard when Jacob asked too, and the fact he drank it shocked me a little but I didn't want to make a big deal either. I wouldn't have wanted him to ask for it more lol...

If anyone is interested...I know there is several Canadians on here...I googled the breastfeeding rates in Canada...which is quite good, and my specific province...which is 94.8% I don't think it says average weaning age...but off to look...if anyone wants a gander: https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/surveill/nutrition/commun/prenatal/initiation-eng.php

I haven't read the first however many pages, i agree that breastfeeding is a beautiful natural thing HOWEVER we live in a country where children whether we like it or not are exposed to sex very early, my sister is 9 and shes already had sex ed! Not just the period crap either, and i feel that an 8 year old boy may be very confused by how to view this. Especially as we've now heard of boys fathering children as young as 12/13. x

I don't think we should keep hiding behind the fact that breasts are sexualized in Western society as a reason to put limitis on BFing.

Instead of saying that thats just how things are, we can promote full-term BFing and child-led weaning by educating people about what is NATURAL for the human species, regardless of the society they are living in. So in addition to that sex ed they are getting, they should also be taught about the PRIMARY function of breasts. I have not looked at the average curriculum for Biology but I hope they mention it in there somewhere.

I wasn't saying it should stop it, but unfortunately i think until better education is provided, it will have an effect.

If anyone is interested...I know there is several Canadians on here...I googled the breastfeeding rates in Canada...which is quite good, and my specific province...which is 94.8% I don't think it says average weaning age...but off to look...if anyone wants a gander: https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/surveill/nutrition/commun/prenatal/initiation-eng.php

Would be nice to see how many were still breastfeeding at 6 weeks and 6 months etc... but it's a good start, now we just need more support and information out there for mums who wish to breastfeed!

Some of the multiple choices questions worried/saddened me though. Wanted to smoke/drink? :nope:

Rwanda has the world's highest BF rate, which is 77% of all mothers still exclusively BF by the age of 20-23 months...! And 96% at 12-15 months. Impressive.

https://www.childinfo.org/breastfeeding_countrydata.php

^^ Very impressive! Too bad all places weren't like that!

I don't think we should keep hiding behind the fact that breasts are sexualized in Western society as a reason to put limitis on BFing.

Instead of saying that thats just how things are, we can promote full-term BFing and child-led weaning by educating people about what is NATURAL for the human species, regardless of the society they are living in. So in addition to that sex ed they are getting, they should also be taught about the PRIMARY function of breasts. I have not looked at the average curriculum for Biology but I hope they mention it in there somewhere.

I never suggested to continue hiding behind the fact. I was just stating that it's a natural response for women to feel uncomfortable with extended breastfeeding because of the stigma associated with it. Any kind of awareness movement would have to be just as understanding of that fact in order for it to work effectively. Otherwise, it could very easily come off as "We know you feel uncomfortable doing this, but you should in order to be a good mother." That would be very overbearing and patronizing. Otherwise, such a movement could be a great, empowering source of knowledge for women, and I would totally support it.

On a side note, I know that the function of mammary glands is something that is discussed in biology classes in part to distinguish the classification of "mammals." I do not believe that they go into human child-rearing specifically though.

I think that along with sex ed, boobs should be portrayed more as a way to feed a baby rather than a sex object.

Having said that I think I may start to feel uncomfortable once they're a child and probably wont after 2. Might stretch as far as 3, who knows. :wacko:

I do think its the child's choice but I do feel uneasy about the idea of BFing a child over school age as I see them as no longer an infant.

(this is my opinion only, no offense intended)

I never suggested to continue hiding behind the fact. I was just stating that it's a natural response for women to feel uncomfortable with extended breastfeeding because of the stigma associated with it. Any kind of awareness movement would have to be just as understanding of that fact in order for it to work effectively. Otherwise, it could very easily come off as "We know you feel uncomfortable doing this, but you should in order to be a good mother." That would be very overbearing and patronizing. Otherwise, such a movement could be a great, empowering source of knowledge for women, and I would totally support it.

On a side note, I know that the function of mammary glands is something that is discussed in biology classes in part to distinguish the classification of "mammals." I do not believe that they go into human child-rearing specifically though.

Oh yeah I totally agree with you. I wasn't directing that comment to anyone specific, just the general opposition appears to be mainly down to sexualization of breasts, and I didn't want it to stop there.

I am more for society to challenge their beliefs about certain things, and definitely agree it could only work if approached with the utmost tact and grace.

I do think that they need to mention BFing in schools though, because I remember learning about carbohydrates, proteins, minerals vitamins etc, so to me it makes sense to mention BFing and the associated benefits.

My old year 7's know all about the benefits of breast feeding and exactly what breasts are for!! I didn't need to say a single thing about it during that lesson. I was VERY impressed - I really think that what is said/happens at home plays an important part in education too.

as kittylady said, i do think it should be tackled in schools.
that breasts are for breastfeeding.
not just something that happens during puberty. think children need to be told why they grow and become the way they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->