UK crimes.

Is the mafia a huge thing in the uk as well as russia italy mexico ?china? etc. ????? lol maybe a dumb question idk! :p

There is low levels of organised crime but nothing mafia like - :)

hmm interesting. :flow:

lol i'm pathetically so interested in the uk because of this forum :haha:
before this i never really even acknowledged it.. lol tbh i'm not the most geographically smart person around though.. never payed much attention..

However, i'm in a cultural geography college course and i always am so much more intent when the uk comes up! :p i want to go there!

I think u hear of crime everywhere but I live in Brighton (south east uk) and u do get rapes/attacks/robberys etc but u don't get gun crime and knife crime isn't very common either.I've moved just along the road and it's known to b a residential area and it's very quiet and nothing really ever goes on (no crime and no fun either lol) but that's how me and dh like it,quiet and peaceful,we keep our selves to ourselves anyway so don't really know alot of people (but they r all over 60 anyway) xx

I think u hear of crime everywhere but I live in Brighton (south east uk) and u do get rapes/attacks/robberys etc but u don't get gun crime and knife crime isn't very common either.I've moved just along the road and it's known to b a residential area and it's very quiet and nothing really ever goes on (no crime and no fun either lol) but that's how me and dh like it,quiet and peaceful,we keep our selves to ourselves anyway so don't really know alot of people (but they r all over 60 anyway) xx

We moved to a villiage on the outskirts of Lincoln and it's blisfully quiet :) and everyone has manners and says good morning - so alien to me.

I find the US interesting too - there's a north south divide there as there is here lol NORTH RULES lol only kidding :)

Crime statistics can be a bit misleading. For instance there is a pretty high murder rate here and if you just look at that you would think its not such a safe place, but when you delve deeper you see most murders are drunken spats between people that know each other or domestic violence - you are still very unlikely to just get murdered by a stranger.

Crime statistics can be a bit misleading. For instance there is a pretty high murder rate here and if you just look at that you would think its not such a safe place, but when you delve deeper you see most murders are drunken spats between people that know each other or domestic violence - you are still very unlikely to just get murdered by a stranger.

I agree, that's why i wasn't looking for statistics really more just the experiences/perseption from actual residents! Means much more to me!

We moved to a villiage on the outskirts of Lincoln and it's blisfully quiet :) and everyone has manners and says good morning - so alien to me.

I find the US interesting too - there's a north south divide there as there is here lol NORTH RULES lol only kidding :)

I'm not. :winkwink: GO NORTH! :p

I'm so glad to be out of the United States, although to be fair, living in a city, there will always be crime. It's impossible to avoid.

I'm living in Japan now, nearly two years, and I LOVE it here. You can literally leave your purse unattended on a train and come back and it will still be there, untouched. Crime is punished severely in this country though and guns and knives are illegal. The crime rates are incredibly low and they're usually very minor, such as petty theft, vandalism, or men just being perverts and looking up your skirt. I've had no strange or scary incidents and I live in the middle of Tokyo!

I'm so glad to be out of the United States, although to be fair, living in a city, there will always be crime. It's impossible to avoid.

I'm living in Japan now, nearly two years, and I LOVE it here. You can literally leave your purse unattended on a train and come back and it will still be there, untouched. Crime is punished severely in this country though and guns and knives are illegal. The crime rates are incredibly low and they're usually very minor, such as petty theft, vandalism, or men just being perverts and looking up your skirt. I've had no strange or scary incidents and I live in the middle of Tokyo!

I'm japanese!!! actually will be planning to visit my family in the coming years! My grandma is 100% born and raised, you're right it's a culture based from respect. I'm excited!

Does that mean you know Japanese as a second/third language??

my gma taught me when i was very young.. but you don't use it you lose it.. i lost it :/ she's doing the same with my daughter.. i'm taking japanese at school next quarter.. was wondering how learning it as a subsequent language was?

edit - srry haha im excited someone on here is in japan :)

The mail lol - anyways I grew up in rough area in Lincoln in the UK - we were robbed three times and my little brother beaten up in the streets - in another area recently one guy killed another with a samerai sword and round the corner from that less then 3 weeks later someone else was killed - and people random beat people up in the UK I think mainly up north - I too would give a mobile (cell phone) to my son as soon as he could learn to use it for safety reasons - London gets a bad rap - it's not so bad down there and in areas of Lincoln your safe. You have to remember to avoid drunk chavs as for some reason they like beating people to a pulp for no good reason - :( - so every place has good and the bad - :)

im sorry but that just tickled me a bit :haha: as a northerner, i can assure you that people in the north do not walk around randomly beating up strangers just for sh*ts and giggles :dohh: clear case of the UK north/south divide - i always think that the south is more dangerous lol :shrug:

I'm from the south and dh is from the north-no divide between us (except the baby when he's trying to get lucky) but he said what a different lifestyle it was down here compared to what he was used to up north,I think it depends what areas ur from (both south and north) but where he's from people did randomly beat strangers up,he got kicked the sh@t out of one day standing at a bus stop becoz some bloke was having an argument with his girlfriend and got angry xx

I'm japanese!!! actually will be planning to visit my family in the coming years! My grandma is 100% born and raised, you're right it's a culture based from respect. I'm excited!

Does that mean you know Japanese as a second/third language??

my gma taught me when i was very young.. but you don't use it you lose it.. i lost it :/ she's doing the same with my daughter.. i'm taking japanese at school next quarter.. was wondering how learning it as a subsequent language was?

edit - srry haha im excited someone on here is in japan :)

I hadn't seen that you were Japanese, haha. :) I'm still in the process of learning Japanese, but mainly because so many of my friends speak English and prefer to speak it to practice. I'm so much better at reading and writing. Much more of a visual person in that regard! If you spoke Japanese before, it completely comes back to you once you start studying. I can take breaks and pick it right back up.

My husband is American, but he was born and raised in Japan until he was 16 when he moved to the United States. He speaks both English and Japanese fluently. Having a bilingual child is very important to us, so we'll be sending our little one off to Japanese schools and speaking both languages in the household. It's going to be really difficult, but I think it's the best way to raise a child in another country.

The mail lol - anyways I grew up in rough area in Lincoln in the UK - we were robbed three times and my little brother beaten up in the streets - in another area recently one guy killed another with a samerai sword and round the corner from that less then 3 weeks later someone else was killed - and people random beat people up in the UK I think mainly up north - I too would give a mobile (cell phone) to my son as soon as he could learn to use it for safety reasons - London gets a bad rap - it's not so bad down there and in areas of Lincoln your safe. You have to remember to avoid drunk chavs as for some reason they like beating people to a pulp for no good reason - :( - so every place has good and the bad - :)

im sorry but that just tickled me a bit :haha: as a northerner, i can assure you that people in the north do not walk around randomly beating up strangers just for sh*ts and giggles :dohh: clear case of the UK north/south divide - i always think that the south is more dangerous lol :shrug:
well in my area people have been beaten up randomly for shits and giggles :( not good -

bummer, maybe im just from the posh bit of the north then, im from cheshire lol :)

I live in south east uk, Never much going on around here occasional commercial robbery or Friday night teenagers hanging about but that's it really. Where I live you can leave you door open and noone would bat an eyelid. Has also been positioned 19th on best place to live in the uk with the town 2 mins away voted 3rd.

bummer, maybe im just from the posh bit of the north then, im from cheshire lol :)
Yup!!! lol Lincolner's are always trying to prove themselves too cuz no one has ever heard of Lincoln apparently - the rough area anyway - thats why I moved to waddington a quite village and no drunks :) one father of 3 was out minding his own business on his way home when 5 thugs beat him up - all caught arrested and well in their statement they said they did it cuz they were bored - THEY ALMOST KILLED HIM!!!

Yeah, I really think it depends on where you are. I've lived all over the US, in big cities where there were murders every day and small towns where someone having a lawnmower stolen was headline news! I've lived for 10 years in the UK now, mostly in a major city. Crime is a problem here but in spite of spending several years living in a bad neighbourhood we never really had any problems. I think in both countries most crimes are carried out by people who know each other, like domestic problems or gang and drug crime. In general though I'd say the US has more problems with gun crime, and the UK has more trouble with anti-social behaviour.

Yup!!! lol Lincolner's are always trying to prove themselves too cuz no one has ever heard of Lincoln apparently - the rough area anyway - thats why I moved to waddington a quite village and no drunks :) one father of 3 was out minding his own business on his way home when 5 thugs beat him up - all caught arrested and well in their statement they said they did it cuz they were bored - THEY ALMOST KILLED HIM!!!

yikes thats really bad!! i will admit to complete geographical ignorance, i don't even know where lincoln is :dohh:
i think sometimes it has to do with how an area is policed, statistically chester (fairly posh) is considered more dangerous than liverpool (an area viewed negatively). i think this is because when you go out in liverpool there are police and mounted police everywhere, effectively dealing with crime before it happens. when you go out in chester, you never see the police. yet people would still perceive chester to be a 'nicer' area than liverpool :shrug:

ETA: thanks to google, ive found lincoln now lol!!!

Seattle is one of the safest larger cities in the US - of course, like all major cities, there are good and bad areas but even the "bad" areas of Seattle were tame compared to Vancouver, British Columbia, where I am from.

Gun violence is of course much worse in the US, and subsequently the drug trade, because of relaxed gun laws/gun availability/proximity to Mexico and South America. These problems spill over to Canada as well, border cities have higher crime rates due to smuggling.

I wouldn't teach her to use a phone to ward off any potential attackers - it's much better to keep focused on where you are going and keep close peripheral vision (a 360 degree view) of where you are going. Remember, police cannot track your immediate location on a cell phone right away (any GPS information might take too long to obtain in an attack). Someone is much more likely to attack someone who seems distracted on a cell phone than someone who looks them straight into the eye with venom.

IMHO... as a 911 dispatcher/operator for many years. I have dealt with many of those attacks and being on a cell phone doesn't help. People don't rationally dial 911 when being attacked. Scream fire.

GPS is useful for theft but not an immediate attack. Some companies like AT&T won't even release the GPS info for a good 30+ minutes..eek

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->