UK crimes.

Op, I am posting real rates because you made this rediculously sweeping statement in a forum not predominately American.
The US is BAD. Lots of kidnapping, killings, rapes, robberies everywhere constantly. It's HORRIBLE.
And a few other erroneous statements about how it's getting worse.
So excuse me while I counter with FACTS.
The US already gets enough bad press as it is without our own making it worse.

Thank you! Glad someone said it! Personal experience is always going to be different than what statistics are for the United States.

I think the US IS a scarier place to live because of how many people own an armed weapon compared to the UK. Ignoring that, its just a larger UK! Tarring an entire country with "its bad" is childish.

I wonder, how many people who say the US is such a dangerous scary place, have gone beyond their own neighbourhoods??? Or have even been to the country :rofl:

I've been to the US, probably 100+ x, in various states, and for the life of me can't figure it out. okay, gun pulled in Miami once about 15 years ago but that happens in all major cities. Other than that, nothing but fun.

Crime is everywhere unfortunatly, some areas and certain parts of some countries are just worse than others.

We are looking to move from London to Dallas and have read many times that it's one of the safest places to be in the world.

I think the US IS a scarier place to live because of how many people own an armed weapon compared to the UK. Ignoring that, its just a larger UK! Tarring an entire country with "its bad" is childish.

Because firearms are illegal in the UK, aside from rifles and you need permits for those. Anyone purchasing a rifle/handgun in the USA (state depending) must have a background check. If people own firearms illegally, they can go to jail. Most use them for hunting or target shooting. My son already has a .22 rifle that my dad bought him. I'll be teaching him when he's 4 or 5 to shoot safely.

Nut Shake I am sooo jealous. Love Texas. It really is it's own culture and so vibrant! Now you'll have to learn to make chili without beans...

Ozzi: We'll be teaching ours as well but we're saving for a large rifle storage, a very complex one. We had a basic tiny one for the handgun but since our Alex is getting older, we've left his gun back at the office. Any suggestions?? Costco seems to have some nicer ones, we're thinking a digital combo lock.

More guns floating about though, more guns to steal and easier to purchase illegally. Over here there just isn't that many guns around, even farmers rarely use them favouring bolt guns.

I would HATE to have a gun in the house or feel like I would need one and I don't like the idea of shooting as a sport.

My dad has a large gun safe in the garage that has a key and a dial lock. I would go for one of those as they seem more secure to me because you need a key and the combination. That being said, shop around a bit. Costco is good, but if you look around, you might find something better :) I'll ask my dad where he got his.

Alex has a small .22 child's rifle. It's just made with a shorter stock and muzzle. We're also planning on getting him involved in Civil War reenactments with me and my dad when we move back :happydance:

Location matters, it's much easier to smuggle across such vast populated borders (Tijuana, Neuvo Laredo, Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, Toronto, MTL, etc..) so yeah, lots more illegal firearms floating around

All my firearms are bolt action :shrug: Not everyone in the USA runs around with an AK47 and a magazine. In fact, in California, it's illegal to have magazines that hold over a certain amount of rounds.

My dad has a large gun safe in the garage that has a key and a dial lock. I would go for one of those as they seem more secure to me because you need a key and the combination. That being said, shop around a bit. Costco is good, but if you look around, you might find something better :) I'll ask my dad where he got his.

Alex has a small .22 child's rifle. It's just made with a shorter stock and muzzle. We're also planning on getting him involved in Civil War reenactments with me and my dad when we move back :happydance:

Thanks! This stuff is tougher to find out here in Canada but I live right on the border of upstate NY so would be willing to buy down there (we tend to get a postal box)

More guns floating about though, more guns to steal and easier to purchase illegally. Over here there just isn't that many guns around, even farmers rarely use them favouring bolt guns.

Firearms are legal in places like Dallas however it's still one of the safest places to be. Excuse me for quoting Dallas constantly, I've just been looking into it a lot recently of obvious reasons, lol!

I think the issue is education, if people are educated in the correct use of firearms they won't be used frivolously and dangerously like they can be in places where they are illegal and the wrong hands just want them so they can shoot some guy they have beef with!

Thanks Nut_Shake! Education IS the key! All the children, yes, children, I've taught to shoot know the rules. They know never to point a firearm anywhere, but downrange and straight up. They know to assume every firearm is loaded. They know not to horse around on the range and listen to the range instructor. I've kicked children off the range as well as told children they could not shoot because they weren't listening. Harsh? Sure! Did they learn and come back more respectful? You bet your ass!

That was the most American sounding paragraph I have ever heard Ozzie! I could hear the accent and imagined you slapping your thigh!

When I went to NYC I felt so safe, I was surprised how many police were about, a couple of practically every block corner. We went to where the guide books tell you not to, and even that was fine.

With regards to firearms, I think we have to understand that not only is it a cultural difference but the media play a big part in us finding the US gun laws scary, reason being is that the only time we really hear about guns in the US is when we see a child/teen have killed class mates and all though that is rare, if all you ever hear about is that, then it makes it seem much more common than it is. I hope that makes sense.

Please do not be led to believe that all Americans support gun laws. Not all Americans buy into theory and I hate the stereotype that Americans carry guns. Guns terrify me as they are the scariest contraption I can think of - a contraption made for the purpose of killing and nothing else. Even seeing a police officer sends me into a panic because I know they carry a gun. Hunting, no problem. But keeping a gun at the house for "safety" is not my idea of safety. These are the guns most likely to cause harm to children, it's hard to accidentally shoot yourself or your cousin if there is no gun in the house.

I don't like gun accessibilty for the American public either. And I'm prior active duty military!
I wish our laws were more like Japan, (where I am currently), or the UK. :(

Guns are legal here but under strict laws. I want one but I think I would have to join either a hunting club or a shooting range.

I don't like gun accessibilty for the American public either. And I'm prior active duty military!
I wish our laws were more like Japan, (where I am currently), or the UK. :(

what's the law in Japan>?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"