UK crimes.

https://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/crime-prevention/latest-crime-statistics

Here is a telegraph article with the same information as the one from the dailymail:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...73/UK-is-violent-crime-capital-of-Europe.html

How reputable is that news agency?

It means there are over 2,000 crimes recorded per 100,000 population in the UK, making it the most violent place in Europe.

Austria is second, with a rate of 1,677 per 100,000 people, followed by Sweden, Belgium, Finland and Holland.

By comparison, America has an estimated rate of 466 violent crimes per 100,000 population.

This is from 2009 though.
So if it's true, how the hell is what the OP says is correct?
I'm sorry you live in a shitty neighborhood OP, but don't go making sweeping generalizations about two different countries without facts please.
It's offensive.

American news isn't going to report a downward trend in crime. That means they would have to retract all of their libel accusations, which would never happen. :dohh:
I blame FOX and CNN! I haven't been in the USA for years, but I still remember how stupid those news channels were.
I'm better off getting reputable news from the BBC, or even the damn Jon Stewart show.
:wacko:

Oops Ozzieshunni, posted before I saw your link.

You haven't seen Fox news in years?

Bless you, you are the lucky one!

I don't find Seattle dangerous at all, in fact I find it to be one of the safest cities. There are a lot of mentally ill people wandering the streets in certain areas that may appear dangerous from their erratic actions but that's moreso a health care issue than a crime one, and most mentally ill people would be a danger to themselves rather than others (if at all, and most aren't).

I agree, Aliss. I was in Seattle probably about 10 years ago. It might have changed since then, but I thought it was a lovely city.

In San Francisco, there are places you don't want to go, but it's like that in any city really.

I admit I haven't been to Seattle since 2008 but I used to go very frequently, I only lived 2 hours away.

sorry, 2010!! Got engaged on an Argosy cruise!! :) :rofl: And then Alex popped out 3 months later and hadn't been back since........... :rofl:

I live in London and love it there. I dont really see crime on a day to day basis or anything. Rarely in fact.

This was a really interesting read, i love hearing about US culture since i have been on here!
I live in edinburgh and i love it, its very rare you will get attacked on the passing
Though the end of last year there were a few rapings in the meddows which is a big park, it gets dark early here so it was dark as it was happening not that im defending the rapist but things like not walking through there is all you can do to prevent random attacks
I think no matter where you are there will always be a group of a few people happy to ruin things foreveryone

The US have more problems with shootings than any other country as the gun laws are so lax.

Seattle is one of the safest larger cities in the US - of course, like all major cities, there are good and bad areas but even the "bad" areas of Seattle were tame compared to Vancouver, British Columbia, where I am from.

Gun violence is of course much worse in the US, and subsequently the drug trade, because of relaxed gun laws/gun availability/proximity to Mexico and South America. These problems spill over to Canada as well, border cities have higher crime rates due to smuggling.

I wouldn't teach her to use a phone to ward off any potential attackers - it's much better to keep focused on where you are going and keep close peripheral vision (a 360 degree view) of where you are going. Remember, police cannot track your immediate location on a cell phone right away (any GPS information might take too long to obtain in an attack). Someone is much more likely to attack someone who seems distracted on a cell phone than someone who looks them straight into the eye with venom.

IMHO... as a 911 dispatcher/operator for many years. I have dealt with many of those attacks and being on a cell phone doesn't help. People don't rationally dial 911 when being attacked. Scream fire.

GPS is useful for theft but not an immediate attack. Some companies like AT&T won't even release the GPS info for a good 30+ minutes..eek

They're phones specifically made for instant tracking from the parent phones. x

And I'm talking about instances, which "should not" and I really hope DON'T ever occur where she's away from me.. or anyone safe.. in that same regaurd if she had a phone that could only call me, she was lost, she could call.. i could call.. easy as that.

for everyone talking about rates.. i'm not asking for "official" information.. just simply the things you guys see on a daily basis as normal.. as just a regular citizen.. in that regard, population and density mean nothing. x

The US have more problems with shootings than any other country as the gun laws are so lax.

Actually, I'm a trained rifle instructor and I can tell you, gun laws are not lax in the USA. This is often the thought, but in reality, there are strict laws in place.

for everyone talking about rates.. i'm not asking for "official" information.. just simply the things you guys see on a daily basis as normal.. as just a regular citizen.. in that regard, population and density mean nothing. x

Ok, as a day to day citizen, both in Arbroath and in California, I have only ever witnessed the aftermath of criminal activity.

Actually, I'm a trained rifle instructor and I can tell you, gun laws are not lax in the USA. This is often the thought, but in reality, there are strict laws in place.

I know a lot about this subject. The laws are not strict. I have seen it for myself first hand.

Cant speak for the rest of the country but I live in Cambridge which is a pretty safe area and we chose to live here because its a nice area. All countries have less well to do areas with higher crimes rates. Its just about trying not living there!

We're UK and live in a village, the crime rate is petty much non existent as far as I know and its a perfect place for raising children:) When we moved here when I was a child from London (which as a PP said wasn't as bad as the press makes out) it was like a scene from the twilight zone lol (if your old enough to know what the twilight zone is:blush:) with rows of bungalows and old people waving at each other whilst weeding their flower beds!!

Op, I am posting real rates because you made this rediculously sweeping statement in a forum not predominately American.
The US is BAD. Lots of kidnapping, killings, rapes, robberies everywhere constantly. It's HORRIBLE.
And a few other erroneous statements about how it's getting worse.
So excuse me while I counter with FACTS.
The US already gets enough bad press as it is without our own making it worse.

I know a lot about this subject. The laws are not strict. I have seen it for myself first hand.

I would be more inclined to believe it if you told me what you do? Broad sweeping statements without facts behind them drive me up the wall!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->