UK crimes.

bummer, maybe im just from the posh bit of the north then, im from cheshire lol :)
Yup!!! lol Lincolner's are always trying to prove themselves too cuz no one has ever heard of Lincoln apparently - the rough area anyway - thats why I moved to waddington a quite village and no drunks :) one father of 3 was out minding his own business on his way home when 5 thugs beat him up - all caught arrested and well in their statement they said they did it cuz they were bored - THEY ALMOST KILLED HIM!!!

yikes thats really bad!! i will admit to complete geographical ignorance, i don't even know where lincoln is :dohh:
i think sometimes it has to do with how an area is policed, statistically chester (fairly posh) is considered more dangerous than liverpool (an area viewed negatively). i think this is because when you go out in liverpool there are police and mounted police everywhere, effectively dealing with crime before it happens. when you go out in chester, you never see the police. yet people would still perceive chester to be a 'nicer' area than liverpool :shrug:

ETA: thanks to google, ive found lincoln now lol!!!

I do have to admit its safer now - there's lots of police out on binge drinking nights Friday and Saturday - so as of late only light fights. no major news reports on it :)
oh really i would have thought Liverpool was really bad especially round football time

Ok, this might get a bit long. I'm from California and I majored in Criminology. My father is a retired deputy sheriff from Alameda County, including Oakland, which has one of the highest murder rates in the state.

Here's what you need to understand about crime: the media will jump on every opportunity to inflate anything they can to get ratings. Often, what you are hearing on the news, isn't exactly what happened.

Crime statistics are based on reported crime numbers. There are going to be areas of higher crime in the world, not just the United States.

I think parents are subject to scare tactics by companies. My son won't have a cell phone until high school. The likelihood of him being kidnapped by a stranger is so very small. Check out some statistics:
1. Based on the identity of the perpetrator, there are three distinct types of kidnapping: kidnapping by a relative of the victim or "family kidnapping" (49 percent), kidnapping by an acquaintance of the victim or "acquaintance kidnapping" (27 percent), and kidnapping by a stranger to the victim or "stranger kidnapping" (24 percent).
2. Family kidnapping is committed primarily by parents, involves a larger percentage of female perpetrators (43 percent) than other types of kidnapping offenses, occurs more frequently to children under 6, equally victimizes juveniles of both sexes, and most often originates in the home.
3. Acquaintance kidnapping involves a comparatively high percentage of juvenile perpetrators, has the largest percentage of female and teenage victims, is more often associated with other crimes (especially sexual and physical assault), occurs at homes and residences, and has the highest percentage of injured victims.
4. Stranger kidnapping victimizes more females than males, occurs primarily at outdoor locations, victimizes both teenagers and school-age children, is associated with sexual assaults in the case of girl victims and robberies in the case of boy victims (although not exclusively so), and is the type of kidnapping most likely to involve the use of a firearm.
5. Only about one child out of each 10,000 missing children reported to the local police is not found alive. However, about 20 percent of the children reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in nonfamily abductions are not found alive.
6. In 80 percent of abductions by strangers, the first contact between the child and the abductor occurs within a quarter mile of the child's home.
7. Most potential abductors grab their victims on the street or try to lure them into their vehicles.

Sources: Federal Bureau of Investigation; National Crime Information Center; U.S. Justice Dept.; Vanished Children's Alliance; Redbook, February 1998; State of Washington's Office of the Attorney General; United States Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice Delinquency Prevention Juvenile Justice Bulletin, June 2000

First of all, children are more likely to be kidnapped by a family member or someone that knows them. Communication is key. Tell your child not to go with anyone they do not know. Get a safe word that only child and the person picking up the child know. (i.e. "banana")

Second, if your child is grabbed, tell them to scream as loud as they can the word, "FIRE!" People are more likely to respond to this word than "Help!" They can also shout, "NO!" Make sure they know not to approach cars if anyone is asking to show them something or help them.

Finally, a cell phone will not protect your child from being kidnapped. More likely than not, the perpetrator will ditch the belongings of the child and that GPS will become useless.

The key thing here is educating your child. This is the same in ANY country ANYWHERE in the world. :flower:

spot on Ozzi, and I've seen this in practice numerous times (although for the life of me, can't remember any true stranger kidnappings -> mostly personal random robberies). Stranger kidnappings are unbelievably rare.

My mom kidnapped me from my father's front yard when I was 3. Not two hours later my
Mom and her boyfriend kidnapped HIS daughter when she was walking home from school. I was still in the backseat.:wacko:

True story!

When I was in 2nd grade there was a spate of attempted kidnappings in our town. I remember having to play inside, and my mom wouldn't even let me go over to the kids' house next door unless she came with me. Whoever it was did manage to take a girl. I remember she had the same name as me. Years later I saw her picture and information in a "missing" section of a magazine. I don't know if she was ever found. :( I agree stranger kidnappings like that are very rare. Must be every parent's worst nightmare, though.

I'm not keen on the idea of giving my girl a mobile phone, but they're so commonplace in the UK now I don't think there's much way around it! Actually it would make me feel a little less secure if she had one. When I was a kid my mom would phone up the friend's house I was supposed to be at to make sure I was actually there. Not much chance of that on a mobile, unless I talk to the girl's mum!

im from the US and live in Virginia. It's beautiful. I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world!

https://www.upmystreet.com/

^ good site for checking local crimerates x

theres not that much proper gang culture up here like there is in england thankfully. the 'gangs' here are 14 year old boys who when confronted cower away, lol.

Ya gotta have street smarts people! Lol luck works too. The world was never "safe" remember we are fighting war on terror thanks to bush which automatically makes you a target

Ya gotta have street smarts people! Lol luck works too. The world was never "safe" remember we are fighting war on terror thanks to bush which automatically makes you a target

I'm not really sure how this is productive to the OP :shrug: Being American does not make you a target of anything!

If a child is in danger I'm not sure how much use their phone will be if it gets into the hands of the perpetrator. I know that as an adult myself I may have a hard time using my phone safely if I'm in danger. You can't depend on a phone to save your child's life although it can't hurt if they are lost somewhere or they need to contact you. I'm conflicted about it.

Crime in the US is considerably higher than the UK - for one thing, guns are LEGAL in the US. There is definitely lower gun violence in the UK.

Then again, the state of the economy has much much much to do with crime in any area. I once read that the happiest country on earth was Denmark because eventhough they pay the highest taxes in the world their government provides well for them including health care and provisions for the elderly. I've seen in some cases a mother can leave her baby in a stroller outside of a shop while she pops in and isn't scared that the baby will be stolen.

On the other hand the unhappiest place on earth is Italy, according to the report which was about 5 or 6 yrs ago. All because of the severe corruption of government. That can now be seen in Greece where the corrupt government has resulted in 100% rise in crime and there is a significant rise in suicide as well. It's all relative.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Also, the US population is considerably larger than the UK so of course crime rates will be higher.

Also, the US population is considerably larger than the UK so of course crime rates will be higher.

From my understanding even when comparing crime rates percentage wise the US has higher crime rate.

I'm not really sure how this is productive to the OP :shrug: Being American does not make you a target of anything!

Hmm you would be surprised. I was just pointing out that crime will always exist just like terrorism will always exist. People are people cannot change that

According to the FBI website, violent crime in America is lower than ever, and has been decreasing steadily.

In 2010, an estimated 1,246,248 violent crimes occurred nationwide, a decrease of 6.0 percent from the 2009 estimate.*
When considering 5- and 10-year trends, the 2010 estimated violent crime total was 13.2 percent below the 2006 level and 13.4 percent below the 2001 level.*
There were an estimated 403.6 violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants in 2010.*

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...-in-the-u.s.-2010/violent-crime/violent-crime

Facts and figures instead of broad, sweeping generalizations please!

True, violent crime rates in the USA have been declining for quite some time, unfortunately mass media confuses people otherwise. However, the USA certainly has more violent crime per person than the UK :) But the USA is also def. not one of the worst, that is mostly Latin America (and who knows where else, obviously people in certain countries wouldn't report as often as someone in the US would)

Thanks MostHer. I didn't have the time to look up the UCR data :thumbup:

Well, what is the UK violent crime rate? I have yet to see anything regarding this besides the dailymail link. (Sorry if I missed it somewhere)
Who is a reputable surveyer of this information in the UK?

I work in Detroit, which was the murder capitol of the world a short time ago, and live about 40 min outside the city.
I'm not scared of the city and most people leave their doors unlocked where I live. Heck, we have a time or two even. I even used to leave my keys in my car until I moved out on my own and had to start using my keys to unlock my house!!
Crime rates being what they are, I just don't really pay attention to them. I'm afraid of a million other things, but my son getting kidnapped? not even on my radar. We played outside as children all day long, in the barns and woods and fields, and my parents never worried.
I grew up in a bubble of safety, and hope my son gets the same chance. While Michigan get's a bad rap for the lack of employment, I'd say the majority of the state is a great place to raise children.
I'm not sure of how Seattle is, having never been there, but if it's that bad, i would suggest moving. There is no need to live in fear when the US has so many wonderful safe towns.

Well, what is the UK violent crime rate? I have yet to see anything regarding this besides the dailymail link. (Sorry if I missed it somewhere)
Who is a reputable surveyer of this information in the UK?

I'll do a snoop :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->