UK ladies -smear

whatwillbex

Reaction score
Hi,

I would be due a smear test in April. Silly question do you still have it when your pregnant?? :blush::shrug:

:thumbup:

No, they'll rebook it for 3 months after you've had baby

You can still have it when you're pregnant. It is considered safe to. For me, the question is more if something abnormal showed, what would you be comfortable doing able it? They should either watch it (and then you'd just spend the rest of your pregnancy wondering if something could be wrong) or they'd send you for a colposcopy and biopsy. Would you opt to have them done when you're pregnant? Me personally, I wouldn't. I have a history of abnormal smears and have had two colposcopies and biopsies in the past (all the fine, abnormal, but fine). It is also considered safe, but slightly more risk. But really I wouldn't be intervening in anyway if it came back abnormal until after the birth, so I think for me it's a bit silly to go through the ordeal when I can just wait since I won't do anything with that information anyway. Pregnancy does change the cells on your cervix, so you are more likely to get an abnormal result even when there is no cause for concern. But yes it is perfectly safe if you have worries or if you would intervene during pregnancy given an abnormal result.

I went when I was 12 weeks pregnant with DD2. Lady advised me under no circumstances would she do it whilst I was pregnant. Had to re book for three months after she was born !.

I was due mine just as I got pregnant. My dr is doing it after I have the baby as they prefer not to do it on pregnant ladies even though it would not harm.

They usually will wait until you've had the baby and the postpartum bleeding has stopped.

I had a smear done when i was ttc and turned out i was actually pregnant when she carried out the smear.

i did ask the nurse before she done the smear if it would be safe as we were trying and could be pregnant and she advised they were completely safe and i'm now 6 weeks and 1 day pregnant with no issues :)

In USA it's routine to do it at the first pregnancy checkup 8-12w. I am not sure why but I had it done all three times and they reassured me it's completely safe. It's so strange how different standards are in different countries.

Yea I was about to say I have an appointment on the 7th and that's one of the things that will be being done at the appointment! Funny!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->