Ultrasound showed sac but that's it

Juliet11

Momma to sweet twins xoxo
Reaction score
I'm about 6 weeks 5 days. Vaginal ultrasound yesterday showed sac but that was all.
Doctor said it could still be too early but sac was a bit small and hard to see as it was at opposite end of ultrasound wand. He said there's a 50/50 chance.. waiting on HCG results and going back next week for another ultrasound unless HCG determines no longer pregnant.

Has this happened to anyone and everything was fine?

Or should I prepare for bad news?

That's very harsh the doctor saying that. I had a scan at 6+1 and all it showed was a tiny sac. Nothing else. Doctors weren't worried but of course I was. Next scan at 8+1 showed baby and a lovely heartbeat. That's why so many clinics won't scan before 8 weeks. Some babies just take longer to get started. Try not to worry yet!

Thanks for the encouragement :) hope I have the same outcome as you

My scan at 6+4 only showed a sac.... she said to to me that its normal for that stage and to come bk in 2 weeks to be rescanned...she seemed confident so I didnt worry about it and sure enough at just over 8 weeks baby was there with HB of 180bpm and looking healthy....im now 34 weeks :) xx

thanks Charlie.

well the HCG isn't looking good. it was 6,000 last thursday but only 13,000 last night. it increased but took this whole week to double which is bad :(

This is what I have read about it; hCG levels usually double about every 2 days for the first four weeks of pregnancy. By 6 to 7 weeks hCG levels may take as long as 3 1/2 days to double . hCG normally reaches a peak level at about 8 to 10 weeks and then declines for the remainder of the pregnancy.

Those HCG levels do not indicate bad news, they have still increased, by a lot! if their was a problem they would slowly creep up by only a few.

thanks for the hopeful thoughts everyone <3 <3
it is crazy i have to wait till Wednesday to know more

Sorry you have to wait this long. I hope you get some good news at the end of it.
Are you positive about your dates? Any chance you may be earlier than you thought?
At 6w5d there may still be room for error. HcG levels often do take longer to rise in non viable pregnancies, but they also take up to 4 days or so to double past the 1200 mark, so your numbers aren't necessarily cause for concern.
At this point, all you can do is wait and hope for the best.
My first pregnancy turned out to be a blighted ovum (empty sac) but it wasn't diagnosed until 7+ weeks in, and confirmed with certainty almost on week 9 (8w6d). My sac had normal development for my gestational age though, so I wonder if you may just be behind on your dates if your sac was measuring small.
Best of luck!

With my first I went in thinking I was 6 weeks and 5 days I had just a little sac they told me I could be off on my dates and told me not to worry I went in at 10 weeks and everything was perfect my little bean and all :) with my second I went in at 6 weeks and 5 days due to major cramping! Little bean was extra small tho!! And heartbeat had just started the lady in the hospital was extremely rude and told me my baby was to small and had a weak heartbeat for how far along I was I'm now 11 weeks with another healthy bean

Christi- thanks. Dates are right though. But there's still a little hope :)

Kim, glad things turned out so well. I hope I have a success story too.

Sometimes too much testing and scanning just gives off false fear! That baby will grow as God intends he or she to grow. I wonder how many women had slow rising levels that NEVER knew about it because they didn't listen for the heartbeat until 12 weeks? My midwife wont do scans until 20 weeks. I will never know, and I'm anxious, but please dont worry because of what doctors tell you. They do not have ALL the control :o)

Juliet - FX for you. WIth my first I went in at 7w+1 and they saw just a sac. I was too disappointed. A lot of my friends told me that was too late to just have a sac. But my doc asked me to come back in 2 weeks and encouraged me to not give up hope. In the meantime she took my bloods and did some tests to ensure I was still pregnant. She was right :)

The stupid thing at this point is that it can really go either way, and all you can do is sit and wait.
Mine did turn out to be a blighted ovum, but like I said, it wasn't confirmed with certainty until I was basically on week 9. So, much farther along. A friend of mine saw just a sac at 6w5d and was of course terrified. She was told to go back two weeks later, and there was her baby with a heart beat and all. This baby is now a healthy 2 year old girl. So don't lose hope, just wait and pray and hope for the best right now! :hugs:

Thanks everyone!!! It sounds like it happens quite a bit that just a sac is seen around 6 weeks! Then later a baby is found! This gives me some more hope.

Good point KD on false fears

thanks KD, skris and Christi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->