Ummm...can you look at my ultrasound...shadow or extra baby?!?!

at the top is my baby but directly under it you can see what looks like a second baby...head, arms etc :) xx

Attachments

• LGIM0705.jpg
    LGIM0705.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 68
Wow it is interesting and i see what you mean on the pic you've labelled... definitely DO NOT google conjoined twins!!! not a good idea Im sure!!

Im useless at seeing scan pics tho so I wouldnt know what should be where.. wouldnt a twin have its own yolk sac??

Thanks ladies :) I feel a bit calmer now I think...
Welshmummy2be - what an awesome scan photo! I always love how you can see the spines! Don't know why!

I mean I did ask the lady several times if she was sure there was only one... I'd be very interested to know the technical reason for the double image :) I will just carry on believing there is just one perfectly formed baby in there for the rest of the week...at least the scan is less than a week away now! xxxx

Hi,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's just a shape caused by your baby's gestational sac and the edge of your uterus. It doesn't look remotely baby-like to me and the structure is also far larger than your baby and continues all the way to the bottom of the picture. I hope you don't mind, but I drew two lines on your picture with photoshop to show you what I mean. The red line is the circumference of your baby's gestational sac (if it were a twin the second baby would be inside this dark sac long with your baby or would have a sac of its own). The green line shows what I think is the outline of your uterus. Ultrasound pictures are often tricky to read, but I don't see any ambiguity in this one. It looks like one baby in one gestational sac.

x

Attachments

• baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 35
I'm sure you have one perfect little baby in there hun I think your scan looks completely normal. Like you say not long till your next scan then you can ask lots of questions and hopefully get some proper answers!!
:hug: xxx

This is a wicked thread cant wait till ur 12 week scan to find out x

Thanks everyone :)
I'm just more curious now than freaked out :)
Ladybrixton - thanks for posting and drawing round, that was all clear to me before, its just the shape that I find weird :) and the thing that gets me is that it isn't in the sac, seems to be half in and half out lol

Drawn round it just to make it clearer to myself too :) x

https://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h323/geckorachel/baby-2.jpg

I sort of see what you mean when you draw round it like that :) but I'm still 100% sure that's not a baby and just a coincidental shape formed by the uterus. It's like when you see shapes in the clouds.
x

I sort of see what you mean when you draw round it like that :) but I'm still 100% sure that's not a baby and just a coincidental shape formed by the uterus. It's like when you see shapes in the clouds.
x

haha yeah I think you are right, it is like spotting things in the clouds! :) I will be so relieved to know on Monday that it is just one baby! I mean yes I'd love twins but I worry about not loving them each as much! I know thats daft though! xxxx

It is not a shadow baby in my opinion, it is the rim around the edge of the sac. it's normal for it to show up bright and a thicker area is likely to be where the placenta is growing. A second embryo would either be inside the sac or have a sac of its own, not be there in the wall of your uterus.
It's easy to get panicked about scans. With my first one I googled loads of scan pictures for comparison to see if she was really telling me the truth that it looked normal. But I don't think twins is something you have to worry about in this case. It would have almost certainly been quite obvious if there was a second baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->