Underhand tactics - formula companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see nothing wrong with it either.

And if people don't have common sense...I think we have more things to worry about then them "falling" for the ad. *sigh*

It is just another option. And I think its great that it is a way for some more breastfeeding info to get out there.

I dont know if anyone else got one of these but I got given a green nhs book when pregnant and a purple one when LO was born ( it covered birth to 5years I think)
In this NHS book it gave info on how to go about breast feeding and info about how to make up formula.
I dont see what the difference is, its just another form of getting info on options.

The NHS are -seemingly - impartial and are exactly the sort of organisation mums-to-be should be calling for advice.

Any educated person with common sense can then make their own judgments from what they learn
Agreed. Though it's one step further than having, say, an independent advice line sponsored by SMA.

This was not meant to be about slating formula itself but more relating to the advertisment of formula. In my opinion this is a very sneaky way of getting new mums familar with SMA even before their babies are born. So, if by chance, they experience any difficulties with breastfeeding or feeding while on holiday or whatever, they're primed to call the SMA helpline.

Why do I care? Because I think this is attempt at targetting those which SMA are unable to do by law and I think that's underhand.

I fail to understand the issue with this advert, I fail to understand why so many people get so affected by FF....anyone care to educate me?? I always feel a bit like I'm missing something when it comes to FF vs BF, the baby gets fed and is happy and healthy- what is the problem, and why do peope care about other parents choices so much??

xxx

Anyone who is on a facebook group for bf would have seen the misinformation given to new mums by formula companies on their "informative" website and helplines. I cant remember which one I am in so many but they do not always give out the right info which cause mothers to fail and move to formula. This is not helpful at all. You may think it is nice of them doing so they have to keep some sort of good rep but it is underhand.
Breastfeeding does not make money formula does nuff said.

found the article.
https://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/109073/formula_companies_hands_off_my

now thats where they are underhand.

TBH if a mother choses to spend money on formula rather than have free milk breastfeeding, then thats their perogative. IMO.
Why does this and other things bother bf'ers so much? Havent BF'ers made their choice?
And although I understand that formula birth-6months cant be advertised, surely these kind of things give mothers who cant/tried and cant options as to what is out there?
I'm all pro breastfeeding, but we cant all do it. I remember thinking, when I couldnt express any more - holy s***, what am I meant to be using!?!? Last thing I needed when I had a new baby at home.

I mean, if we went on an all out ban, banned even the website, where would we be?!

I really don't see the problem. They say how good bf is for baby etc. But they are giving another option if a mother struggles to bf and gives up, or a mother that wants to ff and needs some info. Why is that so wrong. The formula company knows most a about their formula so it makes sense to ring tgem if you are unsure of how to prep a bottle etc.
X

I really don't see the problem :shrug:

The same threads seem to come up time and time again saying the formula company are underhand, they're advertising, wrongly influencing women etc etc. I don't see why they are needed as they don't promote any fresh discussions or debates. They just recite the same old things over and over again.

I really don't see the problem. They say how good bf is for baby etc. But they are giving another option if a mother struggles to bf and gives up, or a mother that wants to ff and needs some info. Why is that so wrong. The formula company knows most a about their formula so it makes sense to ring tgem if you are unsure of how to prep a bottle etc.
X

Again, I'm not saying formula milk shouldn't be advertised or used or that there shouldn't be a number to call if you have a question about FF'ing.

The point I am making is SMA, in this case, are underhandedly trying to form an association between having a baby and their company. If they could openly target mums of babies under 6 months, I'm sure they would but this is against the law for good reasons IMHO.

Why am I supposedly not allowed to have an opinion about this because I breastfeed? FYI we supplemented at the start and BF was a real struggle for us. I would voice concern about any similar tactics used by any company.

An advert wouldn't have made me not breast-feed. And when I gave up as I struggled I wondered what I would do. Adverts like this are great in that situation
Xx

I thought this thread was about formula companies undermining breastfeeding and not who choose what to feed their baby ? Am I misunderstanding the thread then?
It is dissing breastfeeding the advice and if it where the other way because it wouldnt be expectable to dis formula. How many people would be annoyed at articles saying formula is this and that and not in a good light? as seen before there again would be war. So is it ok for a formula company who have worked for years to tarnish breastfeeding by in the past saying their product was better and continue to do things even agains the WHO code and break down woman's confidence in their abilities to breastfeed. This includes giving out wrong advice to mums who are trying to breastfeed and end up moving them to formula quicker than they should all because they trust them. This is how so many dont bother to try from listening to what they said which was wrong. They only make you think they have your child's best interest at heart by giving this bad info they will get your money at the end of it as this will influence some. Not everyone is so strong minded to ignore this., They arnt stupid . Their goal is to get you formula feeding your baby where as the breastfeeding mum wants to breastfeed but is sitting in the web of the formula company where she shouldnt be getting pulled in and made to feel she failed at breastfeeding where as she had gone to somewhere like LLL she would have had a better chance of succeeding.
we are not talking about a woman choosing to formula feed knowing all the facts its the influence on mums who want to breastfeed not some bf vs ff battle as usual.

Okay, let me put it this way:

Why is an infant formula company offering support and advice to first-time expectant mums?

Why is an infant formula company offering support and advice to first-time expectant mums?

Because they want you to continue to breastfeed full term and not use their product by helping with all these helplines and information sites. Oh wait..what?:winkwink:

... i think so many people make far too big a deal out of this - its just an advert, for baby milk, so what

There you go. Nail on the head.

It's NOT an advert for baby milk. But you think it is.

Advertising baby milk for 0-6 months is illegal. (Pregnancy would constitute 0 months I'm guessing)

It's marketing. And it's marketed AT the 0-6months bracket which is illegal.

Which, I believe was the OPs objection.

If you have decided to ff then you can use the support line for asking questions about formula feeding if thats what you want to do. Whats wrong with that? :shrug:

If you have decided to ff then you can use the support line for asking questions about formula feeding if thats what you want to do. Whats wrong with that? :shrug:

Exactly! There are FF'ers in the world, and yeah - they need support too! Without guilt!

Honestly what do people want! A blanket ban over ANY mention of formula?!

Because maybe they see it as good public relations

Bounty does it and so do many nappy companies. They are offering advice on all aspects parenting care. As do many other companies. Why use it wrong if an ff company does it. Cow and gate do it throughout pregnancy. They even have a live internet chat with trained mws or mums
Xx

No one is saying ff cant phone ! but why does a breastfeeder need to call SMA?
https://www.smanutrition.co.uk/Know...breastfeed/Information/tabid/434/Default.aspx

The helpline is for formula feeding initially but they have it that breast feeders can call for info to and its wrong info they give out.
why oh why are people in here thinking its about their choice to ff?

as far as im aware its illegal to advertise formula not to advertise a help line/site? correce me if im wrong though

Exactly! There are FF'ers in the world, and yeah - they need support too! Without guilt!

Honestly what do people want! A blanket ban over ANY mention of formula?!

no one is saying you dont and no one is making you feel guilty for anyway you feed this is about breatsfeeding info being given out wrong in order for woman to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back