Uni student due during exams considering VBAC, desperate for your opinions.

melissalynn

Noah's Mum!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am due on December 23rd, today at my doctor's appointment we were discussing my options and the pros and cons of both.
I told him that I do not want to be in the hospital on Christmas and asked him if it would be possible to induce me on my due date if I haven't gone into labour on my own already.
My first delivery was an emergency section and he informed me that they do not induce women who have previously had a section because the risk of rupture is higher. If I want to be sure that I am not in the hospital for Christmas my OB said we would have to schedule me about a week before my due date and get this baby out. I am considering that but that would mean I am having the baby smack dab in the middle of my finals for school.

So right now my options are allow myself to go naturally and hope I don't go during exams anyway, and hope I am not giving birth on Christmas. Or schedule a section and talk to the school and make alternate arrangements for my finals or apply for aegrotat.

What do you guys think would be my best option in this situaton? I am really quite torn.

Personally I wouldn't schedule a c-section to avoid Christmas in hospital as I don't really consider that a good reason to put yourself through a major operation for no medical reason.

It's true, they don't induce women who have had a previous caesarean (I had an emcs with my first and VBAC with my second), so you will just have to wait until you go into labour naturally whether it's Christmas or not!

You should probably talk to your university anyway about the fact that exams are so close to your due date and you may need an aegrogat if you go into labour early and miss the exam.

I agree with above poster, no way would I put myself through a surgery just to avoid spending Christmas in the hospital. It'll only be one Christmas out of your whole life, so while obviously not ideal, wouldn't be something that would sway me towards an unnecessary c-section.

I'd talk to the Collage adviser and see if you can change your exams until just after Christmas. My biggest concern is regardless of you sitting exams and risking going into labour, being induced or booking a section, neither option is really going to sit well and all of those outcomes will somehow affect you. Honestly, book your induction for the week BEFORE Christmas during exam week but either sit your exams a week before if you can, or early in the New Year. That way, you don't have to stress. :)

It's totally your choice, but I would opt to go naturally. That's mostly because I wouldn't want to have a c-section if I didn't have to, but also because personally, I'd rather do my exams if I could and then have baby over Christmas when life is a bit quieter. I know for some, Christmas is a big thing, but for me, it happens every year and I wouldn't be too sad to miss it if I had to. You can always celebrate when you get home and with your new baby. I had a work emergency a few years ago and I literally worked straight through Christmas eve and Christmas day. It was fine. We just did Christmas the next day (opened presents and had Christmas lunch). If your older child is still little (mine was 2 at the time), they don't even notice and it won't make any difference if it's one day or another. Or they could do Christmas with extended family that day and then with you when you get home. Realistically though, you'll recover faster with a natural birth meaning you can enjoy your family time over Christmas and not have to worry about sitting through exams and dealing with a painful incision, whether you have your exams before or after Christmas. I think Christmas is just a day and it happens every year. I'd rather focus on my exams and have the birth experience I'd prefer.

Definitely would not opt for a c section to avoid Christmas. It's a major operation and not easy recovery especially with another one to cope with as well. I would speak to your School and see what they suggest about finals but going natural is best x

Definitely would not opt for a c section to avoid Christmas. It's a major operation and not easy recovery especially with another one to cope with as well. I would speak to your School and see what they suggest about finals but going natural is best x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->