University and pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellabee

Reaction score
Hi!!

I am just wondering if there are any people out there who have or are juggling university while being pregnant? I have just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant and I am over the moon even though it wasn't planned. However, everyone is advising me not to keep the baby (my boyfriend says he will support me but thinks it would be better at another time.) I am due in February 2012 and will have 8 exams in the May. I am starting to worry that I may not be able to cope but as everyone is telling me I wont. However, I am sure I can if I put my mind to it. I am strong-willed and determined. I am sure I want this baby but I just want to get some feedback on how others have survived in the same situation?

Thanks!!

I was in college during the pregnancy with my daughter, now 6, and it was a challenge. Its not impossible but it will be a challenge. Make sure you surround yourself with people who will support you and prepare to get as much homework/tests done ahead of time (if possible) before baby is born.

Good luck and congrats!

I'm, at uni too and would have had to do my third year when the baby is born.
I'm due in jan and have decided to defer the year because I don't think i can cope with all final exams, essays and dissertation.

If you are really strong willed and the due date doesn't clash, maybe you can do it.
Who would look after the baby whilst your at uni etc?

I will be attending college this fall while being 5months pregnant, I am due in January, so it may interfere with my second semester. I just plan on taking that semester off and work harder the following semester. It's not impossible. It may be hard, but it's achievable. Good luck xx

Just popped over from second tri..

Im currently at uni, just completed my first year. My baby is due in December so going back heavily pregnant in october wasnt an option so I have to defer until next year. Unfortunately my course doesnt do part time so I am going in to speak to one of the student advisors to talk about my options. I couldnt imagine leaving my newborn baby at a creche so early on to do full time education so that is why I want to go part time and baby can go to nanny for a few hours 2/3 days a week instead. Uni is alot of hard work and a baby is going to make it more difficult but if you feel like you can do it then go for it :) x

I am also due in February and am supposed to graduate in April. I know that those two months will be really hard, but I want and need my degree and I can't end my little sprout! It's ultimately your choice, but know that you would have support and can be strong to do it!

You can do it! You just have to really learn to discipline yourself! I was in school while pregnant with my son, and while he was just an infant. And this time I will still be in school while pregnant with this baby!

It was a few years back, but one of my best mates fell pregnant while at uni. I'm sure she's be happy to chat to you about it. If you're interested, send me a message with your email and I'll ask her.

Thank you for all the supportive messages, it is so nice to hear of others doing it and others that have done it. My main concern is the financial situation as both my OH and me are full-time students. The university say they can help with financial support but can tell me exactly how much yet. It is not the way I imagined it but I am sure I can do it on a strict budget. I just wish my OH was more supportive. He has said he will support my decision but that he feels not keeping the baby is a better decision. I just want him to be happy about it, I just hope with time he will grow to be happy about it.

Does anyone know more about the financial support available?

Thank you for all your support!

It was a few years back, but one of my best mates fell pregnant while at uni. I'm sure she's be happy to chat to you about it. If you're interested, send me a message with your email and I'll ask her.

That would be amazing! I am new to this, how do I send you a message??

I am in uni and it is a struggle at moment with the morning sickness, as i am constantly tired and sick most of the day but I love my course so want to continue. Luckily my course has intakes every 6 months so im going to take 6 months off then go back with the next intake xx

This will be my second year,
When I started I was 5 months pregnant with my daughter and
had her in Dec., I will have this one in Feb. :D
Not as bad as people make it seem, I loved it!

I'm also attending school AND working :( I will be doing my usual routine until spring semester and then I'll cut down on classes to see if I can handle everything. Good luck and keep us updated! :)

hi, Im 6 months pregnant and in university... I am taking journalism. Ive already achieved my indigenous studies degree. This will be my fifth child, so being pregnant and in university is not new to me. I always joke that my children have degrees earned the degree with me. Its a struggle and very challenging but it can be done ... lots of support from family and baby daddy is essential. also from the instructors as well.

p.s how did your pregnancy and juggle with university go, I would like to do a brief story on pregnancy and university if anyone would be interested in talking to me, it would be much appreciated

I think u can do it, but if it were me I'd defer the year. That's only because for me, having my lo was the hardest thing I've ever done, love her to bits but I simply had no clue as to how hard I'd find the newborn stage. There's plenty of mums out there who found it fine but there's no way I'd have been able to pass any exams just a few months in n would b gutted to then fail. Is deferring an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back