• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Unsuitable home for birth...?

Fiore

Reaction score
Just wondering if the fact we live in a tiny flat would prevent me from home birthing?

Also, can a MW or someone recamend your home is unsuitable for birthing?

I would love a home birth but never seriously considered it until recently xx

Nope! You can deliver anywhere really, tiny flat or mansion! Many women have given birth in cars, as well as in bathrooms with out a problem. :flower:

I think if they are a lot of stairs they can say its not suitable but at the end of the day its your choice

They can only advise against it anyway, they cant MAKE you go to hosptal! As above, stairs seem to be an issue, just incase they need to get you out and to hospital quickly, but I cant see space being a problem!
I'm hoping for my first home birth too, and my loiving room is tiny!! Good luck!

I think oh would be anxious about using the living room as just had floor layed lol! I'm going to look into it though, thanks xx

When my midwife did my home check, she said the only thing they really look at is whether or not an ambulance would be able to fit down ur street.
x

Hi - I have a tiny living room too lol -and have my mw coming to speak to me Friday about my planned home birth; so I'll let you know how it goes
xx

Hi

I know someone who lived in a tiny one bedroom flat, it wasn't a problem. The midwife that dropped off my birth pack last time said they do get some ones where they really do have to raise heckles; but it tends to be cleanliness related rather than to the size of the place; she said they have some homes they go to where there are a lot of pets and poo/animal hair everywhere...

Soph x

We have a house rabbit but I try to keep on top of the hair, it's more the OH than the pets who cause mess lol!

Wannabubba, let us know how it goes xx

Hi

I know someone who lived in a tiny one bedroom flat, it wasn't a problem. The midwife that dropped off my birth pack last time said they do get some ones where they really do have to raise heckles; but it tends to be cleanliness related rather than to the size of the place; she said they have some homes they go to where there are a lot of pets and poo/animal hair everywhere...

Soph x

I asked my MW if she was going to come and run her fingers around my home to check it was clean and she said absolutely not! She said 'you should see the places I have delievered babies!' She didnt visit my home at all and although I'd like to think we keep it clean, have 2 other children AND 2 dogs.....

In our HB group we have a few mums who have planned and had HBs in small flats. If you can give birth unplanned in a car than why not a planned birth in a small home!? My Mw said she delivered a baby in a bedroom of a house with a SNAKE slithering free!!

Hospitals are WAY more dirty and full of germs than most homes and you wont get MRSA at home! The germs in the dirtiest of homes are the same ones the baby will come in to contact with once it leaves hospital so checking cleanliness is a nonsense.

We have a house rabbit but I try to keep on top of the hair, it's more the OH than the pets who cause mess lol!

Wannabubba, let us know how it goes xx

MW came today -everything is fab, and green light for homebirth -I am now officially in their on- call book :thumbup::thumbup:

She wasn't worried about my tiny living room at all, and we are having a pool too -the only thing she insited on was a hard clean surface ( for resus purposes if needed) but said my work surface in the kitchen was perfect, just to be ready when the time comes with a changing mat, towels there etc.

She did say dog would need to go out the back or in another room though, but more for safety reasons than hygiene etc -incase they needed to resus, assist baby at all they dont want poochy under their feet lol

SO it went great -so happy now :happydance::happydance::happydance:
Cannot wait for things to start happening - C'mon baby haha :haha:

xxx

OT but my pooches were in another room all quiet until just before Sid was born....then they both started to howl.....they never howl....the MWs looked at each other and one said 'this baby is coming - the dogs know!' and he was there minutes later!! Weird!!! :lol:

I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought "this lady lives in a flat and theyve told her she cant have one, and damn thats gunna happen to me too" lol. Haha...how paranoid am i lol.

Well, my rooms are a reasonable size and I know an ambulance defo can get down my street, they've been here so many times when my old neighbours were here they must have thought it was a 2nd base!!!!

I hope i get the all clear for my homebirth in 4 weeks time, i sooooo cant wait now.

While im here i'll wish all ladies with imminent labours the very best of homebirth luck :D xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->