UPDATE! Empty ultrasound, quantitative HCG test, miscarriage or wrong dates?

WillowBranch

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm super scared and wondering if anyone with better knowledge may have some input.

I believe the first day of my last period was September 6th. My IUD came out unintentionally in late August, and as I wasn't intentionally TTC, I wasn't paying close attention to my cycle. Fairly confident in this date though, which would put me at almost 6 weeks.

I went in for a dating scan yesterday evening to see how far along I was, because since my IUD was dislodged, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't much further along than anticipated. Keep in mind I am still pretty sure about my period coming in early September, but this was a just in case thing.

Well -- they couldn't see anything in my uterus or tubes, not even a sac. They did say that they "may" or "may not" see "something" that "may" or "may not" be an "emptying sac" but "probably not anything." So, clearly, that wasn't helpful. :wacko:

They took a quantitative HCG test yesterday and called me this AM -- I was at 860. According to the HCG level chart, I could be anywhere between 4 to almost 6 weeks. (That chart is frustrating because of how wide of a range it is, argh!)

So, long story short, they explained I could have either miscarried and my levels are going down (if my last period date is correct and I should be almost 6 weeks, meaning they likely would have seen SOMETHING on the ultrasound), or I am not far enough along to see anything because I conceived later in my cycle. They also put the fear of ectopic pregnancy in my mind and sent me home with terrifying paperwork on the subject, in addition to giving me a Rhogam shot just in case since I am O-.

I have to go back on Monday for another blood draw to see what my HCG levels are doing. This will be a fun weekend wait.

Any input? I am not as informed as most of you and would greatly appreciate any input as to my LMP, current HCG count, how it's supposed to double/if the math adds up, logical reasoning as to why my uterus was empty IF I am towards the 6 week mark, etc.

Thank you so much. I wish everyone great success with their pregnancies.

Sorry in this situation bc it's a waiting game right now. If you are actually almost 6 weeks, then your hcg would be higher by now. However, with just one hcg count, it doesn't mean a whole lot. You could be earlier, in which case your number is fine. Things that would put you at an earlier date would be a later ovulation and even a later implantation. Also, your hcg needs to be over 1000 for anything to be seen on ultrasound. My OB won't scan if hcg is under 2000 bc he says it's pointless as he'd not see anything.

I know it's worrisome, but really you just have to wait until Monday. With another hcg test, that will tell you if your numbers are rising or not. If they are rising, they will probably be high enough then for a scan that would show a sac, I would think. Good luck and wish I had a better answer. I've been in the waiting game 3 times and it's awful. Hopefully, you'll have a good outcome.

You may just have ovulated later in your cycle than you think...like the previous post said.
Do you remember the last time you had sex? That could help you in terms of figuring out how far along you are.g

You could be only about 5ish weeks pregnant and therefore it's too soon to see anything on ultrasound ... Hope your hcg rises Monday xx

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Uncertainty is always the worst in any situation; no matter how informed you are, early pregnancy is often full of it. The only advice I can offer is to try and keep yourself distracted over the weekend, and see what Monday brings.

With 860 hcg it makes sense they couldn't yet see anything... As far as the dating being off, only time will tell unfortunately :-( if ur unsure of ur dating it could ally go either way. So sorry :-(

Try to keep your chin up. :) Easier said than done but staying positive does a lot better for your health than worrying.

Though it may not feel like it right now, being a little uncertain about your conception timing is a blessing in disguise. There's a good chance that dates are just off and you will get a higher hcg result on Monday.

In the case that things go wrong, this community is a wonderful place for support. We are all rooting for you and hoping for good news!

they nearly missed my ds3 at 5+4 on transvaginal ultrasound, she was done and about to switch it off when i spotted a tiny flicker in the corner of the uterus, and she went back for another look at my insistance.

How did Monday's test go, Willow? I had my iud removed 6 months ago and my cycle still is/was irregular. I'd bet you conceived later than you might think.

Any update?

Last week i had bloods done at 5 weeks extactly, it was 736, then two days later it was 1666. I have ultrasound scheduled for next friday to check for heartbeat. Ive had a miscarriage and a missed miscarriage and one healthy pregnancy in the middle. It's tough, but it's just the nature of the beast this waiting game. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Hi guys!

Thanks so much for the support -- I truly appreciate it!

The nurse just called me a few minutes ago and my levels as of Monday morning are now over 3,000 -- up from Thursday's 860!

I have a scan this afternoon and I will update then. I took the day off of work today because I had what I think is my first episode of morning sickness last night. Stomach suddenly felt like it was in knots, and then BAM, I spent the better part of the night throwing up. It's impossible to sleep when your stomach feels that way!

Here's hoping today's scan shows something...

Oh my gosh! That is great news!!!!!!!!! Cant wait for the update! What time is the ultrasound so i can thread stalk!

I literally pulled out my calculator and started doing your numbers and that is perfect doubling time!

Will be checking on here in 2 hours xx can't wait to see ur scan pics xx

Thanks for the replies, guys!

My appointment went very well -- ultrasound showed a sac and yolk this time! No embryo yet but they estimated me at being only 5+1, which means I likely ovulated at a later time than I thought based on my LMP on September 6th. Strange, but I'll take it!

Meet my little one!

Attachments

• BabySalas.jpg
    BabySalas.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member