*UPDATE*What makes my quad abnormal? 1:88 Risk?

Jaycrew

Reaction score
What makes my results abnormal? I posted in another forum. Is it HCG? I dont get it- the nurse didnt explain it to me. I cant find the ranges that the labs use - so im hoping that anybody here would be able to advise based on what you see.

I'm also biracial and I have read that they base each person in a category including race. I also have never had a previous test assesment like this.

I hope you can see the attachment. Thank you!

Attachments

• Doc9.pdf
    273.5 KB · Views: 34
Here's a screen shot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 37
So, I am not 100 percent about this. BUT! I do know a few things. Or I think I do. It has nothing to do with HCG. Down Syndrome is an abnormality in the chromosomes. They're indicating that they believe your risk is higher than the average person. I hear that this happens A LOT, and most babies are okay. I think they said my sister had about like a 50-60 percent chance of her baby having DS, and she didn't! SO! Talk to your doctor, and really try not to stress. Hope this helped!

It is the HCG which has pushed up your result - the result is given as MoM which is multiples of the median I think - basically 1 is average 2 is twice average etc. I would have thought that there might be different average levels for different ethinicities but no idea where to get that information. A high HCG can be an indicator of Downs - this link is quite an old paper but I think explains the how it might be related

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7687460

The 1:88 must come from the overall bloods the PAPP-A+others as well as the HCG so I would look at that overall number not just the HCG one (my completely healthy 2 year old was given a 1:15 risk based on NT alone but this went to 1:2000 with the bloods so we didn't have any further testing).

However it is only screening not diagnostic I don't know where you are living but in the UK you would be offered CVS/amnio with this risk but obviously that does carry a miscarriage risk. I would talk to your Dr to get more advice. Have you had any scans as they can often show other markers which may increase or decrease the risk compared to bloods alone.

https://flipper.diff.org/app/items/info/4460

Sorry just found this it's not amazing but just over half way down it gives normal MoM for the various blood results and whether you would expect them to be high or low in various conditions

https://flipper.diff.org/app/items/info/4460

Sorry just found this it's not amazing but just over half way down it gives normal MoM for the various blood results and whether you would expect them to be high or low in various conditions

Thank u Nicky!!! This was very helpful n I agree, it doesn't look like its the hcg serum but the h- hcg. That is throwing it off. I never had a screen in my first trimester, it was never offered to me, just the quad. That's why I'm like how does one effect it so drastically. Even though its still 99.% that everything is good, still...why is it 1:88. I do belive it's mathematics like a formula they enter n the computer analyzes it. So maybe that one factor carries a higher number? Idk. I took a panorama last Thursday so 1 week down one to go. I hate this wait. I found another website ironically an hr ago- before seeing ur reply n based on that too It looks like its still the h-hcg. The hcg serum (intact hcg) levels are fine it seems. Just praying over all. Thank u again for this information. Helped me n I'm sure for others that seek an answer like me will find this very useful! Xoxo

just an update Panorama back and shows no risk- thank u ladies! xoxo

That's great news hope you can get on with relaxing and enjoying the rest of your pregnancy!

thank You Nicky for uur support n help!! Def am relaxing now that the wait is DONE!!!! LOL - now just to get through the next 21.5 weeks!!!!! ;)

Having an eval for the pylectasis on 05/14. Prayfully that issue is resolved. Thankfully this is a minor issue- so im not stressing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->