US ladies - what items were provided for you and baby so I don't overpack my bag?

Fizzyfefe

Mama and pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Basically what the title says. :) I tried looking through the sticky note, but there were a lot of UK answers, and I know the hospitals are different.

Mine provided practically everything. The only things I ended up using that I brought were toiletries, phone and charger, and our going home outfits.

Me:
Gowns (I bled everywhere the first two days, so I preferred to bleed all over the clothing I didn't have to wash when I got home)
Socks
Pads
Mesh undies
Wipes
Water squeezie for cleaning
Three meals a day (hubby also got three meals)

Baby:
Clothes
Blankets
Diapers
Wipes
Formula
Ear cleaner

They also gave us everything that was in her cart, so we went home with a lot of extra wipes/diapers/formula and most of the blankets/set of clothes. Next time I'm packing so much lighter!

Diapers, wipes, pads, ice pack pads and the mesh undies to take home.

While we were there they had blankets hats and shirts for her but those had to be left.

The only thing I brought for the baby was a couple outfits (one for her pictures and one to go home). I brought a wipe warmer because the wipes they had were so cold!

We werent allowed to take the blankets, hats, or shirts they provided, but I took the hat and blanket anyway :haha:

For myself they had gowns, blankets, pads, mesh underwear, and the bottle cleaner thing. I got my meals for free but DH had to pay $8 each time

And make sure you bring the car seat! I know its obvious but we almost forgot :haha:

I think it really depends on your specific hospital or the area you live in.

they give you EVERYTHING. seriously. and if you need more while you are there, they will give it to you (diapers, wipes, formula, changes of clothes for baby, wipes, nipple cream, tucks pads, dermoplast spray....even socks when my feet got cold! really. anything you could want or need, they had it) The only things i found necessary to take were. . .

Pillow
Ipad
Phone/charger
Camera
clothes for baby to come home in
Clothes for you to come home in
And this time around i'm remembering my boppy!

My hospital provided shampoo/conditioner/body wash, towels, and a toothbrush and toothpaste as well, but i chose to take my own toiletries bag with these items and a hair dryer/comb.

We were honestly given everything we couold possably need.

Baby -
diapers
wipes
swaddle blankets
little hats
(we didn't actually dress him until we were leaving)

Me
Gowns (i brought pj's but liked the ease of the gowns for breastfeeding
Mesh knickers and pads
Breast pump
I think I remember there even being some toiletries available

The one thing I am glad we packed is loads of little snacks. I ate some in labour (hospital tried to stop me but I disagree with making labouring women starve) and they were invaluable for my husband. He scoffed the lot the 3 days we were there.

OOOOHHH snacks or lots of change for the vending machines. The food is hit or miss in hospitals lol.

Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful.

I hardly brought anything except our going home outfits, some cozie pants for me, and shampoo/brush/toothbrush etc.

I learned with my first one that the hospital tends to provide everything, we left with a lot more than we brought in.

this is what is on my hospital's website:

Packing for your hospital stay:

What to bring for the baby:

◾Clothing for trip home.
◾Undershirt.
◾Receiving blanket.
◾Bunting and warm hat (if cold temperatures).
◾Car seat (make sure the seat is installed properly before the baby is born.)

What to bring for mom:

◾Personal items and toiletries (brush, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, soap, etc.).
◾Bra (nursing bra if breastfeeding).
◾Underpants.
◾Slippers and bathrobe.
◾2-3 nightgowns (open in front if breastfeeding).
◾Loose clothes to wear home (preferably maternity clothing).
◾Camera and batteries.
◾Baby book.

Haven't read through the replies, yet... My hospital provided:

-heavy duty pads for the bleeding
-mesh undies
-meals for me
-newborn size diapers
-formula, if needed
-pacifier
-blanket for baby

I definitely overpacked when I had my daughter, but I did pack comfy yoga-style clothes, toiletries, makeup, etc. I also didn't need baby clothes as they provided the basics for baby but I liked dressing my daughter in her own clothes and swaddle blankets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->