• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US vs UK

I love this thread....
Just wondering, do any of you girls (not in hull) know what a patty is? (You get it from the chip shop) and ever had chip spice?! and what do you called a breadcake?!!!
Lol.

other american words we say different in the UK.

Band-aid = Plaster
Hood of a car = Bonnet of a car!
Jello = Jelly
Jelly = Jam
Zip code = Postcode

:)

I don't know what a patty or chip spice is lol, but I'm from down south.. in the midlands now though so should still know maybe?
URGH IT IS NOT A BREADCAKE!!! It's just a roll damnit! A bap if you're pushing it... haha always used to have this arguement with my ex-boyfriend who was from Grimsby :haha:

I love american houses. Why do they always seem so much bigger then our houses.
Even their small ones are big!
xx

Isn't it because their house aren't made from bricks and mortar like ours? They're made from like.. wood and stuff? xxx

I love american houses. Why do they always seem so much bigger then our houses.
Even their small ones are big!
xx

Isn't it because their house aren't made from bricks and mortar like ours? They're made from like.. wood and stuff? xxx[/QUOTE]

I dunno but they are still really big lol
xx

ill be honest meat pie sounds disgusting lol but thats jst me haha... i have never seen a pram or one for sale in the US.

do u guys have wal-mart?

Lol! Our houses are made from bricks too! As well as wood, siding, etc.. Depends on what you wanna spend! Lol

I always wondered what A&E stood for! ER is Emergency Room. No, if you are willing to get a bill, you will be treated! Lol they sometimes I think just offer payment plans.

What is breadcake?

Walmart is like our Asda. But the big ones with all the clothes and the Deli and stuff. Its owned by the same company too.

Breadcake is an odd one.. I call them cobs. But when people say baps, that means boobs where im from. And rolls, and barm cakes. There must be loads more.

Lol! Our houses are made from bricks too! As well as wood, siding, etc.. Depends on what you wanna spend! Lol

I always wondered what A&E stood for! ER is Emergency Room. No, if you are willing to get a bill, you will be treated! Lol they sometimes I think just offer payment plans.

What is breadcake?

A&E is Accident and Emergency

And a breadcake is just a bread bun/roll

Walmart is like our Asda. But the big ones with all the clothes and the Deli and stuff. Its owned by the same company too.

Breadcake is an odd one.. I call them cobs. But when people say baps, that means boobs where im from. And rolls, and barm cakes. There must be loads more.

Asda IS Walmart now!! Walmart bought them, that's why there are like Asda Home shops now!!

Grocery store = .. supermarket?

Store = Shop

LOL See I call them rolls. LOLA cob to me would be like corn on the cob. LOL

What is breadcake?

A&E is Accident and Emergency

And a breadcake is just a bread bun/roll

Asda IS Walmart now!! Walmart bought them, that's why there are like Asda Home shops now!!

Grocery store = .. supermarket?

Store = Shop

We call it Grocery Store or Supermarket. Depends on what you wanna say at the moment I guess. LOL

canada is better :haha:

A very good contribution to the thread :haha:
What makes canada different from america? Aside from it being a different country obvs lol but isn't it practically the same? xxx

What makes canada different from america? Aside from it being a different country obvs lol but isn't it practically the same? xxx

french and english are our official languages
we have less people.
we have free health care
we have tim hortons (a coffee shops) everywhere
https://www.directoryofhamilton.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/tim_hortons_store.jpg
hockey, we love it.
we are only 143 yrs old
and we like maple syrup.
we say eh? alot too
we have provinces not states
prime minster not a president
are money is pretty coloured, and worth less lol
we have loonies and twoonies (2 dollar and 1 dollar coins)
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ShWR57e9BlI/RwJVdYY_PvI/AAAAAAAAA24/X5qlloSbpw0/s400/loonie+copy.jpg

we have less people.
we have free health care
hockey, we love it.
we are only 143 yrs old
and we like maple syrup.
we say eh? alot too

Free Healthcare sounds Awesome! LOL y husband is Active duty Army and we still pay $60 a month for the whole family which is not a lot at all, but still.

Our Chained Coffee Shop is Starbucks! Mmm!!!

We like Maple syrup too, but i guess y'all are more known for it. :D

We LOVE Our American Football, Baseball and Basketball! :happydance:

we have less people.
we have free health care
hockey, we love it.
we are only 143 yrs old
and we like maple syrup.
we say eh? alot too

Free Healthcare sounds Awesome! LOL y husband is Active duty Army and we still pay $60 a month for the whole family which is not a lot at all, but still.

basketball is Canadian.

if i could live anywhere i'd wanna live in canada!! it's lovelyyy!!
i love the way canadians talk!! :D

oh some more words that are british that americans don't say is

boot of a car = trunk
fag = cigarette
serviette = table napkin
wellies = rubber rain boots
skint = no money $$$

haha!! a few words my parents have taught me to say, i sound like such a weirdo!

I love these threads lol. There was a huge one in GC that went on for ages.

This thread has blown my mind:haha:

So you AMerican ladies I have a question. KNow if you went to hospital with say a broken arm, can they refuse to treat you if you don't have insurance?

no! they can't deny you. :) you would just get billed for it!

we have less people.
we have free health care
hockey, we love it.
we are only 143 yrs old
and we like maple syrup.
we say eh? alot too

basketball is Canadian.

Didn't know that! LOL

I love that car outside that coffee shop!!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->